Areas that xenForo is lacking in

yoghurtfarmer

So with all the wonderful features and innovation this software brings, what are some features that you find missing/lacking?

Let's keep this discussion related to the core forum product, so no CMS/Gallery/Blogs or features that are more suitable to add-ons such as chat.

My list:

1. XML Sitemap of threads for use in Google Webmaster Tools
2. Search within thread
3. More detailed forum statistics/analytics

Though I'm aware that this thread will be more suitable after the Beta release but it doesn't hurt to begin discussions anyway.

Well, in the spirit of the original question, these are the things that I hope will be adjusted later on:

- edit inline (Ajax? what's the lingo? Whatever means 'don't open a new page')

- multiquote - yes I know it's possible, but I hope it's adjusted to be more intuitive later on

- an awards showcase on the profile somewhere because my board members are going to want this - hell, I'll have enough trouble taking those things off the postbit, "when you pry it out of my cold dead heands" etc.

- and I'm sure I'll be alone here but I've got hundreds of 100x100 .gif avatars that were specifically designed to be displayed as 100x100 .gif avatars, not mushed up into jpegs, so I hope that somewhere along the line I'll be able to specify whether I want avatars to be resized and jpegged.

I doubt about you being interested in my thoughts, that's basically a provocative question. "Let me hear your thoughts.." then "all i hear is blah blah blah" from you. Been there, done that. :)

Unlike most web-savvy admin people here I'm just a user that advises my company on products for web so I dont post much, I read the feedback etc, so I've no intention of shooting you down, I just dont understand why this forum is "not a website".

The whole point of a forum is to exchange comments like we are without much clutter and to make it easy, xenforo seems to do that very easily and without the bugs vb4 had. I'm sure all the cheries you require will come pretty quick with plugins and updates in the near future.

Unlike most web-savvy admin people here I'm just a user that advises my company on products for web so I dont post much, I read the feedback etc, so I've no intention of shooting you down, I just dont understand why this forum is "not a website".

The whole point of a forum is to exchange comments like we are without much clutter and to make it easy, xenforo seems to do that very easily and without the bugs vb4 had. I'm sure all the cheries you require will come pretty quick with plugins and updates in the near future.
And as I sad earlier, I have no doubt that all these cherries that my users WANT will come later and I will definitely reevaluate my stance. :) With today's day and age, a simple forum is simply not enough (at least for my business), social networking is the key. For example I know that most people who purchased vB4 with CMS don't really use it but I do and so do my users. :)

Very well said. Some people will shoot the product down before it's even released without making their concerns and intentions really known. That said. Some people feel that xenforo will come with everything and all features or at the very least expect everything in the first public build.It's not possible, take for example, vbulletin 4.0. The product is an incremental update process. Had they built this from the ground up from scratch it wouldn't be as feature rich as it is with the incremental development of old vb3 features still residing in the product. That is just an example and a fact not to flame vbulletin, again posting a fact. Development and feature rich implementations takes time, it's common sense and to think differently that rome was built in a day is plain silly.

As you stated. We'll see more features as the product matures and with the community backing such a product even more add-ons in the way of scripts, styles, graphics to enhance the customers forums.

And as I sad earlier, I have no doubt that all these cherries that my users WANT will come later and I will definitely reevaluate my stance. :) With today's day and age, a simple forum is simply not enough (at least for my business), social networking is the key. For example I know that most people who purchased vB4 with CMS don't really use it but I do and so do my users. :)

I might let you in on my test install, to have a play if you want.

It seems its a case of what you want rather than your users, people can live happily without mult-quote for sure.

Feel free to post your board url then we can see what there doing over there apart from taliking to each other through telepathic communication. The cherries are a side dish, get the main couse sorted first, which comes back to my question - what is missing when you have a stable forum that is easy to post in with great ul etc?

Mark, have I said that multiquote is the only thing missing? Really, I don't want to sound like a grouchy old man. I will revisit XF 6 months from now to see where it's been taken :)

As far as url to my site, I can, as long as you can read russian :)

So far XF looks very good but it's extremely rudimentary. You can suggest a lot of things but to be honest, most of things people would suggest already exist in other forum software so XF developers are already aware of them, the question is why wouldn't they include some of those features to begin with? The only answer I can find in my head is that they know they will add them later but want to make money now.

I can think of a few other reasons, none of them having to do with any monetary benefit. There are quite a few features present in other forum software that just wouldn't make sense in XenForo. Most of them were added to solve problems that were relevant 10 years ago, but not today or in which a better solution is possible/preferred.

shyguy, you will soon learn not to claim that XF falls short of anything anywhere in the XF forums, because you will get swarmed quickly...Happened to me many times here. If you want to talk to level-headed people, venture into other forums. There are lots of admin forums where people talk open and honest about XF without being blinded by the light. This forum is not welcoming to criticism.
Swarmed? Seriously? Are you new to this game?

Need to go elsewhere to find level-headed people with whom to talk?
Why waste your time trying to change all the closed minds here? You have 82 likes in 165 posts... were they blinded by the light, too?

I had completely forgotten about the fact that the Like system will pretty much rat you out if you claim that "everyone" swarms you with hate and it isn't actually true. That's pretty funny. "They all hate me here, every one of them! Errr... pay no attention to those Likes behind the curtain."

Top Bottom