Are you looking for an old school forum or a socialmedia/forum?

TNCclubman

Quick poll to see if you want an old school (post/reply) forum or if you want a complete system like facebook/twitter out of xenforo.

I think two choices is possibly not fair. Some I think are going to fall somewhere in between the two extremes.

I think many of our views are based on the kinds of types of forums we visit. Until I started spending any time on forums about forums and see other peoples sites I think I see a pattern I would have otherwise missed.

The forums about entertainments seem to benefit greatly from the social aspect of it.

The forums I visit are to find information fall into a wide variety of topics but seem to have some things in common. I have looked for information on forums that are full of people that make maps of newly found caves, forums where I can learn make up of various steels an alloys and their characteristics. I go to places to get information on the color temperature of light to see what things stand out under it and also the efficiency of it. I visit forums that deal with pressure curves and such.

Too much social media on these kind of sites I think would ruin them.

Reason I made it 2 is because anytime someone asks for a social feature, the negative responses all point to "lets not waste time with that, lets make a great forum, thats why we're here" Just wanting to show that as someone who's used forums on my websites dating back to bravenet and ezboard in 1997, I definitely want to give people what they want in 2010 and beyond. Its a little egotistical as a webmaster of a site to try to dictate all topics as a centerpiece of our websites. Let people create their own topics on their own profiles or the Everyone Feeds and let their followers all throw in their 2 cents. Gives them more power as to what they create and what they experience on your website. Keep in mind forums were hot when these social media ideas werent around. The people have spoken. I think xenforo is a reflection of the new breed of social media forum...

If they don't make it suit both camps then they lose out on some of the non-entertainment side of things. I think you will see a bit of a divide on this. Perhaps more will want social features but there will be a healthy number that don't use them or want to use them. This one I think is going to go both ways.

For commercial sites people creating their own topics within the profile can be deadly.

It very well might shift but right not the poll shows this as very close.

what forum features are you looking for here that arent present anywhere else?

I'm actually looking for a forum software without all the extra junk that weighs it down and makes it run badly, and that detracts from what the forum is supposed to be about: discussions. You don't need an album to share a picture with the community...do people really look at other people's albums on a regular basis? How many members of a forum with a CMS bookmark the actual CMS page - I know I always bookmark the forum's main page instead, and personally I think it looks cheap. If you want a site, have a site lol

But aside from all of that, I'm looking for developers who actually think about their software's useability, rather than just adding some bulky flashy stuff. And I don't mean offense to anyone here, but a lot of times it feels like the people working on forum software have never run an actual forum. I'm looking for features that are useful to staff and members, not pointless addition after pointless addition.

As I see a lot of the suggestions around the forum, and the lists of features people say they need before they'll use it, I'm actually wondering why people seem to want a clone of vb or IPB? Why not just use those softwares if you're looking for all the same things they offer already...

The forums about entertainments seem to benefit greatly from the social aspect of it.

The forums I visit are to find information fall into a wide variety of topics but seem to have some things in common. I have looked for information on forums that are full of people that make maps of newly found caves, forums where I can learn make up of various steels an alloys and their characteristics. I go to places to get information on the color temperature of light to see what things stand out under it and also the efficiency of it. I visit forums that deal with pressure curves and such.

Too much social media on these kind of sites I think would ruin them.

I'm going to respectfully slightly disagree with you ;) I have run purely entertainment sites for 9 years, and I don't think the social aspect helps. I think it very much hurts. I think too much social media ruins all forums, not just the second group you described.

Its a little egotistical as a webmaster of a site to try to dictate all topics as a centerpiece of our websites.

I don't think it's egotistical at all to expect discussion on a discussion board ;)

We have social media sites for that stuff. If that's what you want, have a social media site, not a forum.

:)

We have social media sites for that stuff. If that's what you want, have a social media site, not a forum.

Thats the same argument people have with smart phones vs 'just a cell phone'. You will always have people that say, 'But I just want a phone that works, nothing else." But look at the sales... look at what people want. Go open up a store that sells 'just cell phones, not color screens, no apps, just a number pad" You'll have your niche customers but 99% of people will walk right by your store.

I'm actually looking for a forum software without all the extra junk that weighs it down and makes it run badly, and that detracts from what the forum is supposed to be about: discussions. You don't need an album to share a picture with the community...do people really look at other people's albums on a regular basis? How many members of a forum with a CMS bookmark the actual CMS page - I know I always bookmark the forum's main page instead, and personally I think it looks cheap. If you want a site, have a site lol

But aside from all of that, I'm looking for developers who actually think about their software's useability, rather than just adding some bulky flashy stuff. And I don't mean offense to anyone here, but a lot of times it feels like the people working on forum software have never run an actual forum. I'm looking for features that are useful to staff and members, not pointless addition after pointless addition.

As I see a lot of the suggestions around the forum, and the lists of features people say they need before they'll use it, I'm actually wondering why people seem to want a clone of vb or IPB? Why not just use those softwares if you're looking for all the same things they offer already...

I'm going to respectfully slightly disagree with you ;) I have run purely entertainment sites for 9 years, and I don't think the social aspect helps. I think it very much hurts. I think too much social media ruins all forums, not just the second group you described.

I don't think it's egotistical at all to expect discussion on a discussion board ;)

You may be right. I don't visit purely entertainment sites except when I looked at them in the show us your forums thread to see what looked attractive. I seemed to see more of them try to use the social aspect more than the sites I visit but I have no idea on how well it goes over.

Thats the same argument people have with smart phones vs 'just a cell phone'. You will always have people that say, 'But I just want a phone that works, nothing else." But look at the sales... look at what people want. Go open up a store that sells 'just cell phones, not color screens, no apps, just a number pad" You'll have your niche customers but 99% of people will walk right by your store.

lol when was the last time you considered joining a forum and said to yourself, "Man, they have GREAT user albums, I think I'll sign up!"

I dont think we're even talking the same level of exposure here. I just went on one of your websites and it has 17 members. My website has 46,000. Not to say its huge, just saying we're obviously not catering to the same audience. Im looking for a product for the masses, not a small group of people to discuss something.

Yeah and I also have one with 10,000 - who cares? Doesn't mean my opinion isn't valid that forums should be forums and not social media. But I guess I'm not allowed to answer your question about what I want out of the software because my board is too small. Sorry.

Candlepowerforums
Threads: 245,317, Posts: 3,417,088, Members: 128,181
I think too much social network stuff would damage the revenue and damage the forum.

I can show quite a few I think it would work poorly on while there are forums it might be perfectly fine. I am sure there is a way they can please both groups.

Sorry I dont mean to come off in the wrong way. Just saying I feel the software should go forwards, not backwards. There are great 'Just forums' out there. Im not mentioning names, but I wish I just wanted a forum only. I wouldnt waste my time with upgrades, custom mods etc. lol

Vilandra, why dont you just turn off all the features of your current software that you dont like. Your forum only will work smoother, less strain etc. Not sure what you're looking for in a new forum only solution. That wheel has been invented a long time ago.

Sorry I dont mean to come off in the wrong way. Just saying I feel the software should go forwards, not backwards. There are great 'Just forums' out there. Im not mentioning names, but I wish I just wanted a forum only. I wouldnt waste my time with upgrades, custom mods etc. lol

Vilandra, why dont you just turn off all the features of your current software that you dont like. Your forum only will work smoother, less strain etc. Not sure what you're looking for in a new forum only solution. That wheel has been invented a long time ago.

lol I've already done that. Can you, seriously, answer for me what you're looking for that something like vbulletin doesn't have? Cause like I said, it really seems people want the same thing that, as you say, was already invented long ago.

I've stated what I wanted - and this might not end up being that. And that's okay - not my decision lol. But ideally I just want forum software that's not crap lol.

I dont think Id make 10% of the money I do with my sites if it was 'forum only' Im pretty sure all id be generating as an income would be google ads and Id need an actual job lol

See that's where we differ - I'm not trying to make money. I think the split is then between what features are good to make money off of and what are good to facilitate discussion. And so then it's up to the developers what they're trying to sell to people.

I think when we get down to the details what people want will be all over the map. Somethings can be provided in add on's while others might be better in the forum software itself.

I think if we all wanted the same exact things there would not be modding communities out there.

It us just my opinion but I think many of us want to see the basic forum software be as solid as can be. Some of us know that will take time and think that adding too much will slow down the process. There are things I want in the software as well but I am not expecting them to be built in but to be fair what I want might not be the most popular features.

It is my hope that they get a very solid piece of forum software hammered out and from the looks of things they are getting it done. I think then all the bells and whistles can come latter to try and make the different groups happy.

This might not be realistic but for me I would like much of it to be ala carte. Just add on the extra features you want and not even have some of the features not wanted on my server.

I am expecting to be modder dependent for the things that I want. I bet the most popular ideas for add on items will come very quickly with all the coders out here.

vBulletin is lacking the following

-photo tagging of friends
-events that people can attend or not attend
-everyone feeds \ your feeds
-friend map

Ive got custom mods on it that do all of the above, but they're not for the latest vB4.0 and Im not going to invest all that when I see xenforo (I was just about to renew lol)

I always felt after they left vB it was going to go downhill, Im so glad they decided to do xenforo and I love what I feel they're doing with it. Bringing it to the 2010's...

See that's where we differ - I'm not trying to make money. I think the split is then between what features are good to make money off of and what are good to facilitate discussion. And so then it's up to the developers what they're trying to sell to people.

Nothing wrong with that. I knew there was a reason we were seeing things differently. all good!

Top Bottom