• I'm not.

Votes: 89 91.8%
  • I might.

Votes: 5 5.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlos

Viglink, the event organizer of ForumCon, has laid out their ticketing information:

Super Early Bird Ticket (Limited) $75.00 $5.12
Early Bird Ticket $100.00 $6.49
Regular Ticket $150.00 $9.24
Last Minute Ticket $200.00 $11.99

The second row of costs is the "cover" fee.

ForumCon 2014 will take place in the same building that they did last year. ForumCon 2014 will take place in Hotel Kabuki on June 19th, 2014.

Why should I go?
Well, if you're a forum owner, and you want success for your forum. ForumCon re-branded itself to become "The ultimate event for anyone involved in creating communities." Not only that, they've made their agenda to be fleshed out with networking opportunities, and [mini-]workshops teaching you things about creating a forum community.

What the event is about?
It's mostly about Forums, and Forum Communities. Although, the organizers accept bloggers as keynote speakers, so you'll find some bloggers talking about SEO, too. This year, SearchEngineJournal will be on-hand, with Murray Newlands helping with content.

When's the event?
Pardon the big print, but....
Thursday, June 19th, 2014

Where is the event taking place?
Hotel Kabuki San Francisco
1625 Post St.
San Francisco, CA 94115

Is there any hotels nearby that offers cheap prices or are the organizers on-hand to help us out?
More info to come for 2014.

How can I get my tickets?
You can get your tickets here, or at EventBrite. Although, the event organizer is gracious enough to hand out tickets to anyone from forum communities such as this one within' their own limitations. Just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Who and What is Viglink?
Like I said, they are the organizers of ForumCon 2014. VigLink is, simply put, an ad monetizing agency. This is their summary:
VigLink technology captures the value of content-driven commerce by making hyperlinks intelligent, allowing publishers to monetize and analyze out-clicks. The largest network of its kind, VigLink maximizes earnings for tens of thousands of publishers and works with more than 30,000 merchants, processing billions of page views and over three hundred million clicks every month. Founded in 2009 and based in San Francisco, VigLink is backed by top investors including Google Ventures, First Round Capital, and Emergence Capital.
Well, are you convinced yet? Are you going?

Last edited:
There is no point.

I can't think of anything useful they might say there that forum owners don't already know. Even if they do think of something useful, its not worth that fee.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob
Not worth to spend the money to hear people trying to sell you something...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What and pay that type of cash to sit in a room with a bunch of

geeks-who-drink.jpg

you must be joking :D

Pretty much any technological based convention worth going to takes place in California aka as far as I can go without leaving the mainland.

$200 even at the last minute is not as much of a problem as it would be to get a flight and a room for most people.

For instance, I wanted to go to this, http://events.jquery.org/2014/san-diego/ but calculating what it would cost to take such a trip...I would have to be willing to part with or equate the value of said conference to be at 2k-3k or more (pending if I want to sleep in my rental car or not).

I would probably go to a bunch of these conferences/conventions if there were any of them within reasonable range of my home, alas they all seem to take place in the home of the Hyphy so I will not be attending.

I would probably go to a bunch of these conferences/conventions if there were any of them within reasonable range of my home, alas they all seem to take place in the home of the Hyphy so I will not be attending.
I agree, I live train distance from SF, it would take me about 30 minutes to an hour to get there from where I live. But I'm more amazed at some people who would drive from L.A. to San Francisco just for a startup event. *stammers* :eek:

LAtoSF.webp

...alas they all seem to take place in the home of the Hyphy so I will not be attending.
Having never heard of 'hyphy' before (I had to look it up), are you talking about the San Francisco (bay) area or somewhere there is rambunctious, loud, crazy, dangerous, irrational, and outrageous behavior?

Well, are you convinced yet? Are you going?
Nope, it sounds like one of the most pointless conventions around, and I get invited to a lot.

Sorry, I just dont see the point in this at all. There's nothing 'amazing' about the event, nothing that you look at and think "I need to go to that to improve my community/skills". It's just yet another expense, where you know the event sponsors will be ramming crap down your throat trying to make a sale. No thanks :)

I agree, I live train distance from SF, it would take me about 30 minutes to an hour to get there from where I live. But I'm more amazed at some people who would drive from L.A. to San Francisco just for a startup event. *stammers* :eek:

View attachment 67580

LOL somewhere in cali to somewhere in cali....here's what my drive would look like.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...uKz-CmvXHfbvoCFgDED3Mq7frXGTg&mra=ls&t=m&z=10

Having never heard of 'hyphy' before (I had to look it up), are you talking about the San Francisco (bay) area or somewhere there is rambunctious, loud, crazy, dangerous, irrational, and outrageous behavior?

A girl I know from Rosa explained hyphy to me a couple years ago. Yes it has to do with the bay area but according to her explanation I sum it up as being more about the music and the style (more importantly the recognition they claim to never have gotten) with only a few people acting up in the name of it (to be honest the most dangerous things I have heard of them doing is stuntin or street racing and so much worse happens here that I can't really say much about) . However when asking her how this whole style started she swore up and down that it is not a style it is a movement. Like I said though...I live just about as far as you can live from cali and still be on the mainland so my interpretation is probably going to be a bit skewed but I think it was just a way to bring attention to a group of local artists who claim creation rights in the game and from there everyone just jumped on board with "their thing".

Like I said though...I live just about as far as you can live from cali and still be on the mainland...
...and you've found most of the conferences you might be interested in were/are being held in California (or specifically in the Bay area).

Ok, got it.

Back on topic...
Isn't most of the info disseminated at this type of conference already online and available?
The only advantage I can see is the networking opportunities and as others have noted, that may work in the conference exhibitors favor far more than individual attendees (e.g. they have something they want to sell you).

In the 'old days' we had ONE BBSCON. Those were fun and educational. Interestingly, while we had several monthly (U.S.) magazines dedicated to BBSing, I still found it worthwhile to attend.

Its a marketing ploy by Viglink and their sponsors to spam you to death. The only thing useful is networking and if you go to ForumCon, you can do that without actually going inside ForumCon.

...and you've found most of the conferences you might be interested in were/are being held in California (or specifically in the Bay area).

Ok, got it.

Back on topic...
Isn't most of the info disseminated at this type of conference already online and available?
The only advantage I can see is the networking opportunities and as others have noted, that may work in the conference exhibitors favor far more than individual attendees (e.g. they have something they want to sell you).

In the 'old days' we had ONE BBSCON. Those were fun and educational. Interestingly, while we had several monthly (U.S.) magazines dedicated to BBSing, I still found it worthwhile to attend.
I remember BBSCON. Did not go though. I still have some of the 'old' BBS magazines.

I dunno, if you're a professional community manager, why not support one of the few CONs dedicated to your business? If for no other reason than to make it bigger and better.

I see a lot of nays, but no recommendation for alternatives. Can we get some of those? I truly am interested. Never been to one but plan to start going soon.

"The networking is the only part worth it" -- that is said about pretty much every CON I read about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom