What are you going to do to prevent this?

Erik

What are you going to do to prevent someone from buying 10 or more licenses on the first day, and then selling them for $130 a week later? Prospective buyers would jump at the opportunity to save $10 (or $20 or $30) over the price of a license, and this person just made $300. :)

90 days would be more suitable, would be a shame to have someone who purchased the software and doesn't like how it works from an admin point of view, to then be stuck with the license for 6 months before they can rid and move onto better things.

I would take into account how many licenses a person has purchased in their control panel, and from this either allow/disallow a transfer.

90 days would be more suitable, would be a shame to have someone who purchased the software and doesn't like how it works from an admin point of view, to then be stuck with the license for 6 months before they can rid and move onto better things.

I would take into account how many licenses a person has purchased in their control panel, and from this either allow/disallow a transfer.

True, or maybe less than 90 days.
Your last point about how many licenses a person has got is also a very good one. There are some people -like me- might not be able to to purchase a license or two by themselves so they will ask some friend to get it for them, I for instance might not be able to buy one if there is no way to pay other than PayPal if I couldn't get through to pay without having an account.

What are you going to do to prevent someone from buying 10 or more licenses on the first day, and then selling them for $130 a week later? Prospective buyers would jump at the opportunity to save $10 (or $20 or $30) over the price of a license, and this person just made $300. :)
I say good for him. Millionaire is made out of entrepreneurs like him ;)

Impossible :confused:

:D

After the vB4 sale, there were licenses going for about 100 bucks for vB4 on digitalpoint.

someone needs to tell me what is the going price for vb4 at DP or other places!

btw. i had asked the same question and ashley responded the same as he did in this thread.

i am still considering buying a second license on the discount day.

if i do not end up using it, i guess it would be more than a couple of months before i would consider selling it.

so, i guess i am likely to stay clear of any hassles!

I was going to dislike your post if i could but you pulled me back in with your second line :) Liked. This should be a on basis thing.

If it was up to me I would not allow transfers between individuals within the first year. And require an active license in order to be eligible for a transfer to a new party.

Why is there a need to put a time limit on transferring the licence? If you have paid and own that licence, support is active, then you should be able to transfer it as you see fit.

Why is there a need to put a time limit on transferring the licence? If you have paid and own that licence, support is active, then you should be able to transfer it as you see fit.
The right to resale and to transfer a license is something that can be withheld by any copyright owner. It's just business.

The right to resale and to transfer a license is something that can be withheld by any copyright owner. It's just business.
That may be so, but I think its wrong. If ive paid for that licence, I should have the right to transfer it to someone else. From a business point of view,is it better to have a licence going unused because it cant be transfered, or having the licence being transfered, support purchased and software advertised.

Right of first sale is being decided in the courts right now. I think right of first sale is important and shouldn't be taken away as a right just because things are stored with numbers instead of in physical form. I'd rather not go the way of other countries that criminalize even the concept of a used CD or half price bookstore.

I can understand though, putting a time limit of 6 months as a special condition of the Beta software or because it was sold at a special price. Nothing unreasonable about that. In Europe, I can buy an iPhone and pay a fee to the carrier to get it unlocked. They're also legally required in Denmark to unlock my phone after 6 months. In the US, no amount of money offered to AT&T will force them to unlock the phone, even after 2 years of service.

Top Bottom