are you charging VAT as of now?

US orders won't attract Vat so you'll just pay the $140. EU orders are going to turn out to be $168 (or just over £100).

Saying prices remain unchanged is a little misleading as anyone within the EU will pay more than $140.

the letter of the UK law is that is goods or services are sold for non business purposes they must be advertised to include VAT. Given that XF is advertised in $ I am unsure what effect this has.

It would be good if we could pay if £ though as then us UK users wouldnt have to pay exchange comission etc

the letter of the UK law is that is goods or services are sold for non business purposes they must be advertised to include VAT. Given that XF is advertised in $ I am unsure what effect this has.
erm, not sure which law you read!

Firstly, the currency makes no difference, its where the goods were delivered to. Nor does it make a difference if the goods or services are for business purposes or not. If XenForo Ltd is VAT registered and the buyer is based in the EU, then they have to charge the buyer VAT. If the buyer is outside the EU, then they don't charge VAT. VAT is only charged if the sale is within the EU.

There is no grey area really, if you are in the EU and are buying it for personal, business or even pleasure (!), you have to pay the VAT. Business can of course reclaim the VAT from the purchase, private individuals can't.

It would be good if we could pay if £ though as then us UK users wouldnt have to pay exchange comission etc
Agree with you there. Really the banks are the only ones that win there, well and PayPal. Actually, PayPal mainly. I've never understood why XF don't allow £ payments for UK based purchasers, I expect it would mean keeping two different prices due to the ever changing exchange rate and perhaps that's why they don't.

US orders won't attract Vat so you'll just pay the $140. EU orders are going to turn out to be $168 (or just over £100).

Saying prices remain unchanged is a little misleading as anyone within the EU will pay more than $140.
Thanks for clarifying that. For once I found an advantage of being in the US and not somewhere else in the EU. :rolleyes:

erm, not sure which law you read!

Firstly, the currency makes no difference, its where the goods were delivered to. Nor does it make a difference if the goods or services are for business purposes or not. If XenForo Ltd is VAT registered and the buyer is based in the EU, then they have to charge the buyer VAT. If the buyer is outside the EU, then they don't charge VAT. VAT is only charged if the sale is within the EU.

There is no grey area really, if you are in the EU and are buying it for personal, business or even pleasure (!), you have to pay the VAT. Business can of course reclaim the VAT from the purchase, private individuals can't.

My point was not really whether they CHARGE VAT but whether they DISPLAY it in the price.

Quite clearly there are UK purchasers who are buying the software for non business purposes (such as me) and XF appear to be based in the UK. Therefore the legislation will apply to them.

Therefore they cannot display the price as say £90 ex VAT and only add VAT when you have gone through the checkout process. All sales to consumers must show VAT inclusive prices at the point of advertisement. However I am not sure whether this law applies if the product is being sold in a foreign currency as is the case on XF.

Presumably they will now have an ex VAT and inc VAT price on $.

All sales to consumers must show VAT inclusive prices at the point of advertisement. However I am not sure whether this law applies if the product is being sold in a foreign currency as is the case on XF.

Its a bit of a moot point to be honest, as XF aren't charging VAT yet anyway. I've got through checkout to the point of 'Pay Now' and no mention is made of VAT at the moment.

When exactly will they be charging it? I just bought another license but my Paypal account is empty again and I would like to buy a third one when I got some cash on it. So it would help to know what the 'deadline' is.

Thanks for clarifying that. For once I found an advantage of being in the US and not somewhere else in the EU. :rolleyes:

The tax climate and two languages are sufficient to get around in the whole continent.

I bought three additional licenses prior to the tax went in. There's few things I hate more than taxes. (One would be being without beer. That REALLY ticks me off).

Top Bottom