MG 1.1 Are video uploads lowering file size/resolution?

AnneMoss

When a user uploads a video clip, does the software change it in any way to reduce file size? Is there an add-on that does that? Ideally, I'd like to have something like YouTube which lowers video quality without reducing the viewing experience too much. Otherwise, our servers will soon get clogged with short clips that were shot at very high resolutions that are redundant for desktop/mobile viewing.

We currently use 1.5 but if that's a feature in XF2, I'd love to know about it.

If you're not talking about in XenForo Media Gallery, then video uploads won't be touched in anyway. In the gallery, they may be transcoded to be viewable on all devices (if configured), but that's not done as a size optimization. XFMG for XF2 does has an option to transcode all videos regardless of need as the transcoding process can optimize space somewhat though.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I was referring mostly to the Gallery. As our members get used to quick video uploads on Facebook and YouTube, I think we really need to push forward with better video capabilities on XF. Right now, we don't allow them because most people take videos at resolutions that are higher than required for web. I believe Facebook/YouTube automatically convert them to web-quality - we should probably do that as well.

Only a specific video format works in all browsers. Transcoding allows essentially any video to be uploaded and we will convert it to the format needed. This is a fairly advanced function though. First it requires ffmpeg (though I guess you have that); second, it can be CPU intensive on the server to do video conversion.

Thanks! I think we'll give it a whirl and keep an eye on the server. I guess the loads would be a problem only if and when too many members upload videos at the same time.

Another video question - I hope it's ok to put them in the same thread @Mike.

When a user begins a video upload, what happens if he/she leaves the page before finishing the upload? In Facebook and Youtube, the uploading continues and you get an alert telling you the video is ready for publishing when it's done. As far as I can see, leaving the page in XF means the upload stops. You can't find it anywhere and must start again? Is there a way that I'm not seeing to recover that upload? If not, can you please explain about what happens on the server side? I don't want to store half-loaded video files.

If you leave the page before the upload finishes, then it will stop and the user will have to restart. XenForo doesn't even receive the request until the entire video contents are uploaded to the server. Any video transcoding is done asynchronously, but they do need to properly "submit" the video before doing this.

If they upload the file but don't finish the submission process, it will be cleaned up in approximately 24 hours.

Thanks!
Has this changed in XF2? People are uploading videos to Facebook more than ever before and I think we have to follow expected behavior if we want them to do the same in our forums.

I don't believe that suggestion is related to what she's asking (which if I understand correctly, requires a single-page approach to the whole site).

Yeah, you're right, it's not precisely related to the original intent of this thread which is the local transcoding in the gallery to save space. I was linking it mainly to make Anne aware of the suggestions for some sort of better and more versatile general video upload handling in case she wants to contribute any feedback there, as she seems to be experiencing the same behaviour I'm also observing on other platforms, with much of the content now comprising of video in addition to text and images.

As our members get used to quick video uploads on Facebook and YouTube, I think we really need to push forward with better video capabilities on XF. Right now, we don't allow them because most people take videos at resolutions that are higher than required for web. I believe Facebook/YouTube automatically convert them to web-quality - we should probably do that as well.

Top Bottom