Are people "watching" Xenforo Resources ?

Do you watch every resource that you use on your site ?

• Total voters

Digital Doctor

Just wondering if people "watch" the resources that they use.

[Jake] Do you have know how many people are watching your Nodes as Tabs resource ?

watch.this.resource.webp

some, not all of them though. too many notifications/alerts after a while sigh. especially with ones that keep getting updated almost every 15 minutes to half hour :p (/sarcasm).. lol. usually i just keep tabs on what's installed, then go to resource section to see if something was updated.

TBH I haven't/don't watch any resources. But that brings up a good topic where chris just released the watchers add-on. I'm thinking something like this would be great in the core and an easy access post or atleast more enticing to view who's watching your resources/threads. http://xenforo.com/community/resources/thread-watchers.1205/

I'm thinking it needs more Mclovin

I know that wasn't the question/response you were probably looking for but thought it's related, somewhat.

I watch my own plus any that I use on my site.

But I'm always watching the Resource Manager itself via What's New so I normally find new resources and updates to other resources that way.

Jake wouldn't know how many people are watching his Resource. It isn't reported anywhere. At least it isn't to us mere mortals. But then admins and moderators can't even see who's watching a thread without a certain add-on... *whistles*

It is automatic ?
If it is .... does the Resource watching work like normal watching ?
ie. if you ignore one watch ... you stop getting alerts ? (if so, that certainly is not ideal).

Obviously alot of people could miss major security updates because there is no reasonable way to assure Addon users get notified about significant addon updates.

Yes it is automatic.

Yes if you ignore one alert, you won't get subsequent alerts until you view the thread again.

But if you watch a Resource and you subscribe to e-mail notifications then you will get a separate e-mail when the resource is updated. That is a reasonable way to esnure addon users get notified about significant addon updates.

Their problem if they choose to ignore it.

I always make a point in my own way visiting resources from specific authors daily to keep track on any updates anyway.

- Chris Deeming Add-ons
- Syndols Add-ons
- DarkImortals Add-ons
- Jake Bunce's node as tabs

And a few others like the DC smiley manager, mood manager so any updates/security updates I'll catch because i visit the threads/resources and as Chris mentioned if they choose to ignore alerts or stop watching/subscribing it's really down to that person.

You can only wipe someone's backside so much is the conclusion I'd come to.

I am "watching" both a specific Resource and also "watching" the associated "Resource Discussion Thread".

But unfortunately I did not receive any alert when new posts have been made in the "Resource Discussion Thread".

Strange....

If you ignore (or miss) one alert without viewing the thread then you will not get subsequent alerts until you view the thread again.

That will be why.

You can only wipe someone's backside so much is the conclusion I'd come to.
We'll see how well that flies when some XSS attack comes to Xenforo and 1000s of sites go down.
Databases scrambled.
We will see no one is backing up properly.
People will be outraged.
Lots of IPB admins are pretty upset at their latest relatively minor security problems.

To protect customers and addon makers, everything should be done to ensure there are ways of alerting people to serious problems.

Considering how little work it would take to make a better way of notifying customers ... there is no excuse not to do it.

We'll see how well that flies when some XSS attack comes to Xenforo and 1000s of sites go down.
Databases scrambled.
People will be outraged.
Lots of IPB admins are pretty upset at their latest relatively minor security problems.

To protect customers and addon makers, everything should be done to ensure there are ways of alerting people to serious problems.

Considering how little work it would take to make a better way of notifying customers ... there is no excuse not to do it.

Wasn't that with the core product rather than a resource release thread? You navigate me to a watch for a potential security core product button i'll happily click.

Databases scrambled.
People will be outraged.

Why isn't the existing methods suitable? You get two types of alerts with resources. Thread replies or updates. What more do you want?

I watch ones that interest me but need more development and ones that I have installed.

I wanted more options like VB has "Tag this" "mark as installed" but honestly that doesn't matter. It's bloated and useless if I think about it.
I tagged 100s of mods and never once used any of them.

Watch is simple and all in one.

Hmmm you know the only feature I'd like added is "private notes"
Something viewable on the main page of the resource for your records? It's unnecessary so I don't expect to support this idea other than just posting this.

Notes to let you know what you saw in this add-on or what you were waiting for. Sometimes developers take months to release the next update and it's pretty easy to forget what you were waiting for before installing it. I personally keep a written record in a pocket book I have but it's just me.

I watch those which I have installed on my site and those which I have possible interest in. I did this so I can easily follow updates.

I however almost never watch the threads that are attached with them unless there is an issue of concern.

Top Bottom