XF 2.2 Are attachments deleted from server when deleted from message?

cdub

A member is concerned that their attachment is secure in a conversation and has deleted the attachment. Is the attachment also deleted from the server when deleted from a message or does it still exist somewhere?

If I am not mistaken they are not deleted immediately but there is a cron or some scheduled thing which deletes them also from the server/ACP when the time comes.

Also, sending an attachment via a private conversation is IMO more secure than sending via email? They seem worried about it.

(They were sending private information)

Seems much more secure on a private conversation as there is HTTPS etc.

Also, sending an attachment via a private conversation is IMO more secure than sending via email? They seem worried about it.

(They were sending private information)

Seems much more secure on a private conversation as there is HTTPS etc.
I think no?

Shouldn't all email providers be https anyway? Also a private conversation means you, as an admin, still have access to the database and you can technically view the attachment yourself and the private conversation. Email should be more secure.

But presumably various individuals at ISPs controlling email servers also have access.

Even when encrypted somebody must have the key?
Well, millions of emails, nobody will check them out. But yeah, they are also not encrypted usually, only while transporting.

Yes, the attachments are directly deleted from the ACP admin.php?attachments/ when you click on the trash can icon, however, it could remain on the server in internal_data\attachments as a .data file and during the cronjob "Hourly clean up" it will remove it from the server

1675105728757.png

Hi
When a post or an attached file is deleted, it is not deleted from the server.
It is only displayed in the forum, and this is very bad, because it takes a lot of space from the server and our backup. What is the solution?
Forum designers should fix this bug

Attachments are routinely removed as part of a cron task when the parent content is hard deleted.

If posts are soft deleted, the attachments are not removed from the server.

I mean attachments in posts, not just conversations
Yes I meant image attachments in posts and conversations are deleted if the post/conversation is deleted.

EDIT re conversation deleted: that means when sender and all recipients have left the conversation.

Last edited:
I mean attachments in posts, not just conversations
They are not IMMEDIATELY deleted... there is a CRON job that runs regularly that will delete attachments (after 24 hours) that have no association with posts/convos from my understanding.
As @Mr Lucky noted, on a conversation ALL participants have to leave... otherwise, the conversation is not deleted, it's still open/valid.

I think no?

Shouldn't all email providers be https anyway? Also a private conversation means you, as an admin, still have access to the database and you can technically view the attachment yourself and the private conversation. Email should be more secure.

Depending on the provider, they can read email as easily as you could dig into the database to view the conversation.

Reactions: sbj
Top Bottom