Apple's patent claims vs. Samsung.

I didn't have much either at the time or I would have bought a lot more. Something inside me just kept telling me there were not going anywhere. Yesterday, I continued to watch my stock rise, but deep down a part of me wished I had bought more.
My great frustration is that I spent around $30k about a year before on some stupid investment and I lost it all. If I'd spend it on Apple stock my life would have been somewhat different today (or at least my bank account). Oh well...

My great frustration is that I spent around $30k about a year before on some stupid investment and I lost it all. If I'd spend it on Apple stock my life would have been somewhat different today (or at least my back account). Oh well...
Life often turns out differently than we expect it. You take your chances, you take it as it comes, and you try to plan and hope for the best.

I bought several at 320.... not many since I can't afford buying many at that price but the return % is nice compared to the other options on the market... :)

Samsung shares dropped 7% over night from the Apple lawsuit. Apple have announced they're now pushing for all Samsung devices breaching their patents to cease being sold immediately. See no reason why they won't get it either, especially when Samsung have been found guilty and rejected Apples prior licensing agreement.

I don't understand something.
Does Samsung run it's own OS which make the icons look different than other Android devices?
So when Apple comes up with a 7" tablet, does that mean others will sue Apple?

The tablet or its size isn't patented, Samsung can do that without issue. It is the method in which the tablet operates, some touch features, OS features and specific look that has relevant patents / trademarks enforced. Samsung has blatantly copied and breached Apples patents. Google warned them that they were breaching Apples patents through changes they made to make the OS prettier to consumers, like an iOS presents, and they ignored them.

Whats worse for Samsung at present, and is looming, is that Apple have asked the judge to triple the damages because the jury found Samsung wilfully violated Apples patents, thus they're no doubt going for lost licensing fees for what they offered Samsung prior for the use of their patents.

Now have a precedent. Apple will target anyone using Google OS through patented Apple features, and go after them. The side effect is that Apple may actually inadvertently get what they want by knocking Google OS out of the market because some features of it require technology that Apple owns the patents for. So either Google change their OS to be less functional, or manufacturers come up with something new that doesn't infringe others, or everyone pays Apple royalties IF Apple even makes such allowances available to others now. Other phone manufacturers are laughing it seems, as they waited for all this to be done before jumping onto Google OS. Google are free to make their OS... but getting it to the user via patented Apple technology is now going to be an issue for all.

I believe Google is included in the lawsuit... though how far Apple chases them for their OS is unknown. Android developers may also get called into a suit by Apple if found to breach Apple patents by making their apps use specific patented Apple features.

Consumers will lose, no doubt about it. Manufacturers will need to invest like Apple has done to find their own technologies and innovation... Microsoft is currently laughing at Google and Samsung, rubbing their hands together.

The biggest aspect is Apple has a precedent. That means it's going chasing worldwide for anyone breaching these patents, and developers of Android products could get lined up in their target. No doubt this will put many developers on the back foot and consumers will lose because developers will flock away, scared of Apple taking them to court.

I suspect you will also see more Samsung products dropping out of other countries as Apple takes the patent claims up with them uniquely, where Samsung products are being sold that breach their patents.

Consumers will lose short term, though hopefully gain long term, by forcing Samsung and others into a more innovative role versus copying what others innovate. Fingers crossed.

I don't understand something.
Does Samsung run it's own OS which make the icons look different than other Android devices?
So when Apple comes up with a 7" tablet, does that mean others will sue Apple?
Samsung uses a customized UI of Android called Touchwiz. Almost every phone besides nexus and a few others has some kind of customization in terms of UI. Manufacturers do it to try to stand out.

Screen Shot 2012-08-27 at 11.31.53 PM.webp

Consumers will lose short term, though hopefully gain long term, by forcing Samsung and others into a more innovative role versus copying what others innovate. Fingers crossed.

Consumers lose, period.

No invention is truly innovative. You'd be hard press to find a single product on the market today that is truly original. Each of these companies are influenced by the same factors and are trying to push the same limits in technology.

I'm waiting for the producers of Minority Report to start suing everyone since that movie obviously demonstrated a lot of these "innovative" UI elements. /sarcasm.

That said, Apple is actually the best in the world at not innovating, but perfecting other's designs. They're extremely good at seeing what others are doing and out doing them at their own game. They don't 'invent'. They tweak, massage and simplify.

Samsung will appeal, as they should, so we'll just have to wait and see what sticks. They certainly have grounds to do so.

On a slightly different note, the foreman holds a patent that could be the poster child for what's wrong with the software patent industry. Someone should calculate the probability of assigning a foreman, on an important case, whether a patent is crazy and then finding out he has a crazy patent himself? Life is full of coincidences hard to believe.

One interesting thing is that the iPhone is *FULL* of Samsung parts.
That is why Apple tried to do all the right things by Samsung, as they are a client of theirs, they offered them a good deal on their patents through a licensing scheme. Samsung rejected it... thought they were bigger and better than Apple. They just found out they aren't.

That said, Apple is actually the best in the world at not innovating, but perfecting other's designs. They're extremely good at seeing what others are doing and out doing them at their own game. They don't 'invent'. They tweak, massage and simplify.
Whilst that is true in some areas, and I don't disagree with you at all... and this can be applied across many large companies, the iPhone and iPad was original innovative design by Apple. Nothing like it existed prior, hence it wasn't copied from anything. No doubt they got ideas from things here and there, but neither existed prior to Apple doing it. If it wasn't done, then it was innovative design. There wasn't an app based touch phone on the market... Apple did that, not Samsung.

The proof is also pretty clear above: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/apples-patent-claims-vs-samsung.34938/page-5#post-404139

It's like the Apple mini. PC designs got systems small, no doubt about it. But none of them had built a full power computer to the size of an Apple mini. That is innovation in computing. It uses some parts that are being used everywhere, however; they completely engineered computing to run in a tiny little box, unheard off for heating alone in any PC, though they did it and it works. There are several patents on that, so if somebody copied it, they would be hard pressed trying to explain they hadn't copied Apples engineering to get it that small, as not all parts are industry standard due to the reengineering of it, and its design is unique.

Don't know their total sales figures. At a guess I think they have, which is why Apple is asking the judge to triple the payout to cover existing losses Apple should have earned.

Whilst that is true in some areas, and I don't disagree with you at all... and this can be applied across many large companies, the iPhone and iPad was original innovative design by Apple. Nothing like it existed prior, hence it wasn't copied from anything. No doubt they got ideas from things here and there, but neither existed prior to Apple doing it. If it wasn't done, then it was innovative design. There wasn't an app based touch phone on the market... Apple did that, not Samsung.

This glosses over the past, though.

There were a few phones with apps and developer communities around them prior to iPhone. There were also touched based phones. Even the form factor Apple chose wasn't unique. As for tablets, Microsoft was pushing them well before Apple, who then took that segment and perfected it years later. The iPhone will be remembered for how it disrupted the industry, not the device itself.

Yes, most smartphones resembled Blackberrys prior to the iPhone, as it was the most popular platform at the time. There were also phones with similar form factors to the iPhone prior to its launch (e.g., LG Prada, Palm TX...).

Top Bottom