Apple's patent claims vs. Samsung.

But also giving people carte blanche to imitate whatever they want gives an easy out
Well, i get what you mean .. but do you *really* think the Samsung Galaxy S3 stifles innovation such that the smartphone industry and consumers are being damaged ? Lots of copycat devices are a huge failure.

Well, i get what you mean .. but do you *really* think the Samsung Galaxy S3 stifles innovation such that the smartphone industry and consumers are being damaged ? Lots of copycat devices are a huge failure.
In my mind there is no doubt that Apple is using every legal tool in the bloated system to try and hinder what is clearly their biggest competitor (though I do think some aspects of the Samsung system are a little too iPhone for my taste).

However I don't see this so much as an Apple Corporate failing, rather a failing of the entire patents system. A patent should protect a person's/company's IP, not be used as a resource for mega-corporations to destroy their competitors. How many take overs have we seen in recent years of dead companies which a large patent book?

I suspect this is only the first in a string of big court showdowns now that the various players have built their stockpiles of patents and the executives feel a need to fence off their territory. Like a dog marking his tree, we will see APIs closed down (see Twitter v Tumblr), licenses retracted and the big players try and corner your social networking time.

It is why I run and will always support stand alone forums, separate from the monolithic institutions.

A patent should protect a person's/company's IP, not be used as a resource for mega-corporations to destroy their competitors.
That sounds quite familiar to a situation closer to home here at Xenforo.com ;)
What makes me dislike the Apple vs Samsung situation is that it seems almost pre-emptive. I really don't think Apple has been damaged.
As you say, the patents system is broken ... but with all the companies stocking up patents for future patent wars .... it seems like more and larger battles are the inevitable future.

Top Bottom