Implemented Apple Sign In

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
If I am reading it right, it would require each site who wishes to use it, to sign up for an Apple Developer account, set up certificates, enrol your email domain to get whitelisted for private email relay. Most of that is fine, if not massively lengthier than most "Log in with..." systems we use, but the key point is the Apple Developer account. That's a paid account of $99 per year.

So, while we'd like to implement this, we wouldn't be expecting it to be usable by many customers. Not many would want to pay for a developer account in order to set it up.

It makes more sense if you already have an app, or you already beta test macOS/iOS. Therefore you would already have a developer account.

It makes more sense if you already have an app, or you already beta test macOS/iOS. Therefore you would already have a developer account.
Exactly. Or if you're serious about your website 99 ain't that bad.

Walkthrough:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
  • Face ID
  • Unique addresses for multiple services to avoid spam once you want to stop
  • Brand associated with privacy
Create a poll and ask if you´re unsure but I think this is worth it. Thanks for listening @Chris D

At which point your users may struggle to sign in because the sign in button disappears, they have no idea which email they registered with, they’d be unable to do a password reset because the private relay email would likely stop working and may struggle to prove their identity to you as, again, the private relay email stops working.

It’s a great idea for apps - you’re already tied into that eco system. But for a web app once it’s enabled you have to keep it enabled forever or you will never see those users again.

Exactly. Or if you're serious about your website 99 ain't that bad.
Sign in with Apple is a service aimed at consumers, not developers. It isn't great for developers because it's made to decrease tracking, it offers things like convenient redirect emails that forward to your real address. It makes things like marketing harder, so having to pay for it on top isn't very encouraging. Users that want to sign up and are going to be active in your community aren't going to sign up solely because you offer Apple signin, or not sign up because you don't, so the impact of not offering this is effectively zero.

The main grab they have for increasing adoption of this feature is by forcing apps that use any kind of third-party login (whether that be social login via Facebook/Google/GitHub/etc, or apps handling their authentication using services like Duo) to also support this feature.

I can't imagine even sites that can pay the $99/yr would want to use this too much, since it decreases their control. For your users it's great, though, and it'd be nice to see it in XF, I just don't see many people using it.

Though I wonder if only the paid developer accounts can use this, and not the free developer account as well? Apple offers a free developer account so you can use Xcode, create signing certificates and deploy your app to devices you control, etc. At a quick skim I couldn't see them mentioning the requirement to use this.

I can't imagine even sites that can pay the $99/yr would want to use this too much, since it decreases their control. For your users it's great, though, and it'd be nice to see it in XF, I just don't see many people using it.

The end goal of developers is to get the App into the hands of the users. Social Login does just that very well, and I suspect Login with Apple will take that a step further. Seeing the analytics of our App we see a noticeable amount of users leave the App directly after downloading simply because of the need to create a new account. This tool will very likely help address that problem. Is it gonna solve it 100%....nope. Will it help, yep. There is no new place to give your info to, it’s all handled behind the scenes already.

As for making it harder to market, so what if you may not get a users email. There are more effective methods of communication on Apps, like push notifications.

While I understand that making something that isn't used by many is not always a stable choice, I think having this either as a separate official addon or baked in as an optional feature that those with Apple Dev IDs can use, would be a great idea. These days about 50% of my traffic is from iOS alone and I know that is the same for many other people, but not everyone.

More info here: https://developer.apple.com/sign-in-with-apple/
and here: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/signinwithapplejs

Attract more users by allowing Sign In via Apple ID.
I have gotten to the point to where i click the sign in with apple button, it lets me use my apple creds and redirects back to my redirect uri. The redirect URI is just my homepage. Does it need to be a seperate page with some code? What code would that be to finish the register of the user?

thanks guys

Top Bottom