Appending of forum ID inconsistency?

True, but that would break if you had two forums with the same name wouldn't it?
Yeah, which is why the ID number should be appended and it's why an ID number is appended to all threads. :)

If anyone's wondering when you would ever have multiple forums with the same name, imagine this:
Code:
Windows Support
     - OS Support
     - Software Support
     - Other Support
Mac Support
     - OS Support
     - Software Support
     - Other Support
You get the idea. :)

Perhaps it's an admincp feature to not require IDs for certain forums... that'd be a nice idea :p
Ding ding ding! :)

I actually hinted at this in the example page:
Have a look at the URL. Notice that there's no ID in it. This is an option for all node types, though it's only exposed for pages now.
You are given the choice to enter a name for the forum to be accessed by (the "slug", if you're familiar with WP). The advantage is that you don't have an ID. The disadvantage is that you basically can't change this without breaking existing links to it.

It's specified on a per forum basis, and yes it has to be unique. The ID based version will still work.

Can you explain why it's an advantage to not have an ID for certain forums/pages?

Is it just to make the url more closely match the forum or page name?

As Floris said:

The disadvantage is less compared to the advantage of being able to make:

domain.com/newsletters/
domain.com/team/
domain.com/documents/
It allows for a more user-friendly URL.

Ding ding ding! :)

I actually hinted at this in the example page:

You are given the choice to enter a name for the forum to be accessed by (the "slug", if you're familiar with WP). The advantage is that you don't have an ID. The disadvantage is that you basically can't change this without breaking existing links to it.

It's specified on a per forum basis, and yes it has to be unique. The ID based version will still work.
So we can change the URL of non-ID categories? I just hope if I ever have to do this, there is some way to redirect the old link to the new link.

So we can change the URL of non-ID categories? I just hope if I ever have to do this, there is some way to redirect the old link to the new link.

You could just add a redirect rule above all the other standard stuff in .htaccess. Should work fine. :)

And yes, I am definitely liking this feature. :)

Top Bottom