Anyone using Nitropack?

OakleyForum

Saw this is another wordpress group - but curious if anyone is using Nitropack with Xenforo? On the WP side they appear to put up some impressive numbers - both speed and Google Pagespeed. Looks to be a bit more complex to configure with XF due to the lack of out of box plugin, but curious for any experiences/thoughts?

I told you via email that ads were the problem with your scores. I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but this product won't solve that.

If it were this easy, I'd have told you to install mod_pagespeed in Apache when you asked me about site speed since it does everything this product does (I'll bet they are using it) and it's free.

Xenforo without ads does very well with pagespeed and GTMetrix scores, there's not a great deal to tweak. Turning off ad load in their tester jumps your scores by 30-40%, sometimes more, that's where the performance gains are to be found. In your shoes, if you want better page speed scores, I'd consider testing alternative ad companies.

I told you via email that ads were the problem with your scores. I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but this product won't solve that.

If it were this easy, I'd have told you to install mod_pagespeed in Apache when you asked me about site speed since it does everything this product does (I'll bet they are using it) and it's free.

Xenforo without ads does very well with pagespeed and GTMetrix scores, there's not a great deal to tweak. Turning off ad load in their tester jumps your scores by 30-40%, sometimes more, that's where the performance gains are to be found. In your shoes, if you want better page speed scores, I'd consider testing alternative ad companies.

I definitely get Ads impact it, but is that really the difference between a 26 pagespeed score on mobile (currently) and 100?

Equally for the service I mentioned above, I heard from individuals in the same ad network who it increased their page speed scores to the 90s. With the impact of PageSpeed in the coming months on rankings, it's worth it to explore every option. There are also plenty of websites in the world who have Ads, and ads in the same ad network (which is a top 10), who have fast websites with great page scores. And saw some comments on nitropack so was curious if anyone was using it on XF.

Xenforo is very well optimized out of the box (see image below).

xenforo.png

Look at the huge jump on your site just by blocking ads:
oakly.png

I've been down this route using the Apache mod_pagespeed addon, which has more optimizations than that service, and there's only so much that can be done when it's external resources like tracking (Google Analytics for instance) and ads that are causing the issues. Even hand tweaking optimizations, there so little gained with the amount of time put in.

Last edited:
I definitely get Ads impact it, but is that really the difference between a 26 pagespeed score on mobile (currently) and 100?

Turn off your ads temporarily and run a pagespeed test to see, it can make a difference.

I get terrible scores on my site; because I'm breaking a lot of rules with large images, a few page-blocking scripts, & etc. My actual user experience is better than what they report, but have found ways to make improvements based on what they suggest.

Top Bottom