XF 1.4 Anyone using bounce handling with Amazon SES?

TheBigK

I haven't been able to figure this out myself. Is there any way to make the Amazon SES work with the default bounce handling mechanism built into XF 1.4?

[Bump]

I really need help with setting up XF 1.4's bounce handling with Amazon SES. Would appreciate your inputs.

Addendum: Just figured out that there's an SNS email forwarding service. It however does not allow to set any forwarding email ID. That means, mails sent from default sending address is the one that will get bounced mails.

Last edited:
Amazon SES is for sending emails, not receiving. You need to setup your Bounced Email Address @ /admin.php?options/list/emailOptions with an email account (eg. GMail) that you can POP/IMAP to, as per config immediately below on same page.

Amazon SES is for sending emails, not receiving. You need to setup your Bounced Email Address @ /admin.php?options/list/emailOptions with an email account (eg. GMail) that you can POP/IMAP to, as per config immediately below on same page.
I'm aware that SES is for sending mails. However, Amazon processes bounced mails itself. I'm looking for a mechanism to direct the bounced mails to a gmail inbox which I can use for bounce processing.

You have to go through Amazon's notifications settings so that your bounced messages are forwarded to you - in this case a gmail.com or similar email address that you can point XF bounce checking to.
I tried exploring that option, but couldn't find a place where it allows me to set the account to forward notifications to. I think it forwards notifications only to the address that's used to send emails?

Any update on it?
I also Amazon SES to send transactional emails. I also have Google apps emails so I wonder if we can receive bounced email using Google email instead?

I see there are only POP3 or IMAP options for the bounce section. What do you guys use?

Bounce-handling with Amazon SES works just fine.
Here's what you have to do:

In Options -> E-Mail Options:

1. Enable variable bounced email address values
2. Enable automated bounced email handler

Setup a mailbox where you before pointed the "Bounced Email Address" to and put in the details.
Are you sure its gonna work. Generally transactional email service do not send the bounce emails.
Currently I'm using MailGun and although I have set XenForo to send all bounce emails to a dedicated address, they are blocked at mailgun and not send.
I have therefore setup forwarding for such mails but it changes the address and it is no longer a VERP address.

So can you please confirm if you are using XenForo's automatic bounce handling with Amazon SES cause I will definitely switch in that case?

Are you sure its gonna work. Generally transactional email service do not send the bounce emails.
Currently I'm using MailGun and although I have set XenForo to send all bounce emails to a dedicated address, they are blocked at mailgun and not send.
I have therefore setup forwarding for such mails but it changes the address and it is no longer a VERP address.

So can you please confirm if you are using XenForo's automatic bounce handling with Amazon SES cause I will definitely switch in that case?
I can confirm that it definitely works with Amazon SES. I used bounce hanfling with Amazon SES in the past and now use my own mail server.

Is Xenforo bounce handling working for anyone using Amazon SES?
Options -> E-Mail Options is setup correctly, and I have Amazon SES setup correctly to send bounce notifications to my Bounced Email Address.
The Email Bounce Log ( /admin.php?logs/email-bounces ) shows emails received by XF from my Bounced Email Address, but the 'Action' within the Email Bounce Log is all 'none'.

Thus, Amazon SES bounce notifications being sent to my bounce email address. XF correctly retrieving the new emails from the bounce email address account. But xf is not able to process them into meaningful actions (eg. set the User State to Email Invalid)

What's the body of your bounces from SES look like? I get;

Code:
{"notificationType":"Bounce","bounce":{"bounceSubType":"General","bounceType":"Permanent","reportingMTA":"dsn; a27-38.smtp-out.us-west-2.amazonses.com","bouncedRecipients":[{"action":"failed","emailAddress":"<redacted>","status":"5.4.4","diagnosticCode":"smtp; 550 5.4.4 Invalid domain"}],"timestamp":"2015-10-14T07:49:59.251Z","feedbackId":"000001506553c0de-8ca839e6-<redacted>-4506-a204-3b6451a553df-000000"},"mail":{"timestamp":"2015-10-14T07:49:58.000Z","sourceArn":"arn:aws:ses:us-west-2:403<redacted>681:identity/<redacted>","source":"bounces+9762fff1+<redacted>=<redacted>","messageId":"00000150<redacted>-91bbec90-48a6-4347-8c73-2f4f38956ae3-000000","destination":["<redacted>"],"sendingAccountId":"40379<redacted>81"}}

and XF Bounce Log says Type: Unknown and Action: none

Top Bottom