Anyone else locked out their Registration on their XF's?

Carlos

So, 3 - 4 of my xenforo instances are getting hit with spam hard.

I spent the latter part of today just cleaning up the spam. Especially on CODForums. :(

Where art thy, version 1.2? Where are you?

Be released soon. :cry:

I would look for an add-on or other anti-spam solution. Based on current information XF 1.2 isn't going to be released anytime soon.

I've just installed XenUtiles, and it's already stopping spam attempts.
I have known Jaxel's work for some time, but I have been reluctant to install any hacks.

I have installed Tapatalk, and I'm still reluctant. In this case, it's a must. And I will do it right now.

You are using reCaptcha. That's why you are getting so much spam. Get rid of it. Its useless, annoying and has been broken by spam bots ages ago. Text in image is so distorted these days that spam bots are the only ones who can actually read that mess.

Set up Q&A captcha on your forums, change questions once every few weeks and you won't have to deal with spam again.

The combination of XenUtiles and a Q&A is the route you need to go. I cleared the Registration Log (Part of XenUtiles) last night and today we have 16 pages of rejected spammers. Not 1 has gotten past. Enable the spam bot scout in the otions for XenUtiles along with SFS, add a Q&A and you should be good.

The combination of XenUtiles and a Q&A is the route you need to go. I cleared the Registration Log (Part of XenUtiles) last night and today we have 16 pages of rejected spammers. Not 1 has gotten past. Enable the spam bot scout in the otions for XenUtiles along with SFS, add a Q&A and you should be good.
Yep--for what it's worth, I switched to Q&A after the AngryUser spam from a week or two ago, and I have XenUtiles installed...not a single registration has come through yet (currently at ten pages of regitration logs from the past 24 hours).

Yes, disabled the registration today..
I am sorry for but i expect a solution from the team, not from 3rd party. I dont know why the team dont come here anymore but disappointed very much. Can anyone tell me why they act like they dont care their business??????

I am sorry for but i expect a solution from the team, not from 3rd party. I dont know why the team dont come here anymore but disappointed very much. Can anyone tell me why they act like they dont care their business??????

Spam is the flipside of the coin when running a forum. No matter how good spam protection is, the spammers most likely will find a way around it. Sooner or later.

I do not see an urgent need for better spam protection in the core of xF, just because there is a massive spam attack right now. There are very good spam protection mods available right now already. Use them. Even if xF version 1.2 would come out tomorrow, I doubt that it will have a better spam protection than the already available mods.

With vbulletin it was the same. Only external mods gave me good spam protection. Of course it would be nicer, if the best anti-spam mods would be offered as a core of xF. But it is unlikely that this will happen. So bite the bullet and use the best mods you can find as everybody else... ;)

Better built-in anti-spam measures are intended for XF 1.2; however 1.2 appears to be on indefinite hold and the developers are not actively releasing anything or communicating with the community/customer base so it will be better if you use a 3rd party add-on until such time as 1.2 development is restarted.

Spam is the flipside of the coin when running a forum. No matter how good spam protection is, the spammers most likely will find a way around it. Sooner or later.

Thank you very much. Can you please explain me why the devs are not here?

Yep--for what it's worth, I switched to Q&A after the AngryUser spam from a week or two ago, and I have XenUtiles installed...not a single registration has come through yet (currently at ten pages of regitration logs from the past 24 hours).
When logged in to the admin area, what's the path to switch from captcha to q & a, please?
Thanks in advance!

Usually the core products are the first to go, cause so many people rely on them. Besides, I only disabled RE:CAPTCHA and enabled Q&A, had a couple of real registrations since, not a single spam registration. I do not use any 3rd party mod ATM, and TBH for me those available would be a last effort resort.

Also seen a lot of spammers recently, though a surprising amount of them are using non existent email addresses so they never even complete registration

me too, i was hit by many spams this week I don't why?

Check out this thread http://xenforo.com/community/threads/my-forums-getting-lots-of-spam.35195/

And this post http://xenforo.com/community/threads/my-forums-getting-lots-of-spam.35195/page-4#post-399896

It looks like some blackhat software called xrumour has been updated with xenforo support and updated recaptcha profiles has been released.

It's recommended you use Q&A instead of recaptcha and XenUtiles with Stop Forum Spam, that should keep things clear for now.

Top Bottom