Anybody running PHP 8?

Anybody running PHP 8 Beta 2 with or without an instance of XF?

• Yes

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • No

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Waiting for stable

Votes: 36 59.0%

• Total voters

frm

Anybody running PHP 8 Beta 2 with or without an instance of XF?

Does it perform better than 7.4.x?

Not all PHP extensions are compatible with PHP 8 as yet so probably need to wait for production usage.

My Centmin Mod LEMP stack has support for PHP 8 betas but as outlined at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/php-8-0-0beta1-download-update-in-123-09beta01.20136/, waiting on full PHP extension compatibility :)

And yes PHP 8 is faster especially with JIT enabled - older benchmarks I did ~8 months ago for PHP 8.0 vs 7.4 vs 7.3 vs 7.2 vs 7.1 vs 7.0 at https://community.centminmod.com/th...s-7-2-vs-7-1-vs-7-0-php-fpm.18741/#post-79730

I would love to test PHP 8 but I have not yet found packages for Debian. And my knowledge isn't really sufficient to compile it myself.

Reactions: frm
I know it's exciting but we'd recommend holding off until XF 2.2.2 is released (coming very soon) because there are further PHP 8.0 compatibility fixes.

Also very early "stable" versions of PHP have historically had serious issues with some releases so it's nearly always a better idea to wait until PHP 8.0.1 is released.

I know it's exciting but we'd recommend holding off until XF 2.2.2 is released (coming very soon) because there are further PHP 8.0 compatibility fixes.

Also very early "stable" versions of PHP have historically had serious issues with some releases so it's nearly always a better idea to wait until PHP 8.0.1 is released.

Yeah probably need to wait for addons to be PHP 8 compatible too.

I tried it tonight (on 2.2.2), but kept getting errors stating that public_html and internal_cache needed 777 permissions, which they already had. I'll try again with 8.1....

Reactions: rdn
Actually, the problem was just that it was almost two in the morning when I was messing with this and overlooked the permissions on the data folder.

Most everything is looking good now, except I get these errors on all my TH styles:

• Template publicpage_style: [E_WARNING] A non-numeric value encountered (internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s134/public/page_style.php:101)
  • Template public:uix_config: [E_WARNING] A non-numeric value encountered (internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s134/public/uix_config.php:31)
  • Template public:uix_config: [E_WARNING] A non-numeric value encountered (internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s134/public/uix_config.php:32)

Is it safe to empty this folder, or at least the related files?

No it's not. It will result in an error.

You can however, rename internal_data/code_cache/templates to something you like, and then open
yourdomain.com/install

(yourdomain.com containing your forums), log in as administrator and rebuild master data.

This would do what you seek.

I had tried that, but came up with the same errors. I'm guessing it's going to require an update on their part. No problems with any other styles, just theirs. Thanks.

For the record, TH did get in touch with me to acknowledge that their stuff will need to be updated. No ETA, and I gather they're not going to be in any hurry about it until XF announces that they fully support it, whenever that might be. So I suppose I'll be waiting for PHP 8.1 and see what's what then.

I see no reason why add-on developers and style designers should wait for us. What is there to wait for? Everyone needs to be working towards improving support for PHP 8.0 as quickly as possible. Part of our confidence in declaring PHP 8.0 fully supported has to come from also being confident that most add-on/style issues have been resolved too.

I see no reason why add-on developers and style designers should wait for us. What is there to wait for? Everyone needs to be working towards improving support for PHP 8.0 as quickly as possible. Part of our confidence in declaring PHP 8.0 fully supported has to come from also being confident that most add-on/style issues have been resolved too.
Well, to be fair, just for the record again, they didn't explicitly tell me that they were going to wait until you made some kind of formal announcement to really get the ball rolling, that was just my personal take-away from it, reading between the lines. I could be wrong. Basically what I was told was that they were working on it, but no ETA, and then they pointed out that you guys were also still working on it, and consequently I should probably stick with "a supported version" for now (7.0 to 7.4). Don't want to get on anyone's bad side. :)

Top Bottom