Anybody running PHP 8?

Anybody running PHP 8 Beta 2 with or without an instance of XF?

• Yes

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • No

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Waiting for stable

Votes: 36 59.0%

• Total voters
I have PHP 8.0.1 running on my local site. Came across no XF 2.2.2 issues, thus far. I had one minor issue with an add-on of mine, but that is resolved. No other issues with my add-ons, so far (more internal testing required for confidence reasons).

Many forums have lots of images and the image quality is very important. The image quality of a resized image using Imagick, both thumbnail and full, is noticeably better than GD. Hopefully Imagick will update their software to work with PHP 8 soon.

Currently, there is no workaround for adding Imagick for PHP 8.0. If you need to used Imagick for your content, then you will need to use a lower version of PHP such as PHP 7.4 or 7.3.

Source: https://support.cpanel.net/hc/en-us/articles/360058956654-Installing-Imagick-for-PHP8-0

No problems with imagick and PHP 8 here with my Centmin Mod LEMP stack

Code:
php -v
PHP 8.0.1 (cli) (built: Jan  9 2021 16:12:32) ( NTS )
Copyright (c) The PHP Group
Zend Engine v4.0.1, Copyright (c) Zend Technologies
    with Zend OPcache v8.0.1, Copyright (c), by Zend Technologies
just need to use master branch of imagick until they push a version release
Code:
php --ri imagick

imagick

imagick module => enabled
imagick module version => @PACKAGE_VERSION@
imagick classes => Imagick, ImagickDraw, ImagickPixel, ImagickPixelIterator, ImagickKernel
Imagick compiled with ImageMagick version => ImageMagick 6.9.11-56 Q16 x86_64 2021-01-06 https://imagemagick.org
Imagick using ImageMagick library version => ImageMagick 6.9.11-56 Q16 x86_64 2021-01-06 https://imagemagick.org
ImageMagick copyright => © 1999-2020 ImageMagick Studio LLC
ImageMagick release date => 2021-01-06
ImageMagick number of supported formats:  => 244
ImageMagick supported formats => 3FR, 3G2, 3GP, AAI, AI, APNG, ART, ARW, AVI, AVS, BGR, BGRA, BGRO, BIE, BMP, BMP2, BMP3, BRF, CAL, CALS, CANVAS, CAPTION, CIN, CIP, CLIP, CMYK, CMYKA, CR2, CR3, CRW, CUR, CUT, DATA, DCM, DCR, DCX, DDS, DFONT, DNG, DOT, DPX, DXT1, DXT5, EPDF, EPI, EPS, EPS2, EPS3, EPSF, EPSI, EPT, EPT2, EPT3, ERF, EXR, FAX, FILE, FITS, FRACTAL, FTP, FTS, G3, G4, GIF, GIF87, GRADIENT, GRAY, GRAYA, GROUP4, GV, H, HALD, HDR, HISTOGRAM, HRZ, HTM, HTML, HTTP, HTTPS, ICB, ICO, ICON, IIQ, INFO, INLINE, IPL, ISOBRL, ISOBRL6, J2C, J2K, JBG, JBIG, JNG, JNX, JP2, JPC, JPE, JPEG, JPG, JPM, JPS, JPT, JSON, K25, KDC, LABEL, M2V, M4V, MAC, MAGICK, MAP, MASK, MAT, MATTE, MEF, MIFF, MKV, MNG, MONO, MOV, MP4, MPC, MPG, MRW, MSL, MSVG, MTV, MVG, NEF, NRW, NULL, ORF, OTB, OTF, PAL, PALM, PAM, PANGO, PATTERN, PBM, PCD, PCDS, PCL, PCT, PCX, PDB, PDF, PDFA, PEF, PES, PFA, PFB, PFM, PGM, PGX, PICON, PICT, PIX, PJPEG, PLASMA, PNG, PNG00, PNG24, PNG32, PNG48, PNG64, PNG8, PNM, POCKETMOD, PPM, PREVIEW, PS, PS2, PS3, PSB, PSD, PTIF, PWP, RADIAL-GRADIENT, RAF, RAS, RAW, RGB, RGBA, RGBO, RGF, RLA, RLE, RMF, RW2, SCR, SCT, SFW, SGI, SHTML, SIX, SIXEL, SPARSE-COLOR, SR2, SRF, STEGANO, SUN, SVG, SVGZ, TEXT, TGA, THUMBNAIL, TIFF, TIFF64, TILE, TIM, TTC, TTF, TXT, UBRL, UBRL6, UIL, UYVY, VDA, VICAR, VID, VIDEO, VIFF, VIPS, VST, WBMP, WEBM, WEBP, WMF, WMV, WMZ, WPG, X, X3F, XBM, XC, XCF, XPM, XPS, XV, XWD, YCbCr, YCbCrA, YUV

Directive => Local Value => Master Value
imagick.locale_fix => 0 => 0
imagick.skip_version_check => 0 => 0
imagick.progress_monitor => 0 => 0
imagick.set_single_thread => 0 => 0
imagick.shutdown_sleep_count => 10 => 10

I wouldn't. Not yet.

Whatever PHP 8 adds, remember that it's not entirely backwards compatible. You may be able to run Xenforo with it nut it could well end up breaking your addons or styles.

YMMV.

PHP 8.0.2, XF 2.2.3_PL1produces no errors.
Just a few warnings from add-ons and the CLS value on Mobile went from 0.13 to 0.14

cpanel got the php8 update.

I installed it but i think i botched the build. Made me remove modules that i'm not familiar with, so i need to do more research there...

cpanel got the php8 update.

I installed it but i think i botched the build. Made me remove modules that i'm not familiar with, so i need to do more research there...
Not sure why easyApache would do that. All I did was go to my current build > PHP Versions then enable 8. Rebuilt, good to go.

Going to wait til 8.0.2 is on cPanel then flip the switch to my main site. Have tested php 8 on xenforo and Wordpress with zero issues or server errors.

I noticed that my most recent php update (which I accessed regularly in Ubuntu via apt update && apt upgrade), that it has begun downloading php 8.0 files, but not all of them at this point. My system is still using 7.4.15. I expect more 8.0 files to download in future updates, and Ubuntu will flip over at some point in time.

I don't get the rush to upgrade to PHP 8, especially given the uncertain future of that branch.

for now it is safe to say you're not in a hurry to upgrade from 7.4 to 8.0 for performance reasons. You'll be better off by upgrading from PHP 7.3 to 7.4 and enabling OPCache Preloading. That's not to say that PHP 8.0 is a disappointment by any means. It's packed with new language features and important deprecations. Most importantly is good to see that there have been no performance regressions (like there was with the move from 4.4 to PHP 5.0 way back in 2004). A great start for 8.x.

For those looking to upgrade soon and those who have already upgraded, what do you see as the advnatages of PHP 8 over 7.4?

I am only planning to upgrade once the Ubuntu stack I am using upgades -- I am not separately downloading and upgrading on my own.

Running Windows Server 2016
XAMPP
PHP version 8.0.0
MySQL version 10.4.17 (10.4.17-MariaDB)
Server software Apache/2.4.46 (Win64) OpenSSL/1.1.1h PHP/8.0.0

Everything's running fine minus no imagemagick windows build for PHP 8

I don't get the rush to upgrade to PHP 8, especially given the uncertain future of that branch.

For those looking to upgrade soon and those who have already upgraded, what do you see as the advnatages of PHP 8 over 7.4?
I'm curious what you mean by "the uncertain future of that branch." It is the only immediate future for php, is it not?

Also, the quote is based on benchmarks from an RC of 8.0 and from what it appear, they were discussing the merits of upgrading from 7.3 to either 7.4 or 8. As far as xf on php 8 is concerned, a good deal has changed since then.

I'm certainly not in a hurry, but I'm definitely interested in testing and after a week of watching what's happening with xf 2.2.3 Patch 1 on 8.0.2, I see no reason not to. In fact, I'm thinking of flipping the switch on my main site.

You still think wait?

Last edited:
If it's easy to switch back, just do it, monitor log files, and see for yourself.

If you encounter any problems, be sure to report them to help improve the situation overall. If it runs just fine, then awesome. :)

Yep, totally agree. I still have a full install of php 7.3 (latest version) on my VPS, and will have 7.4 well after I eventually switch to 8.0.

Top Bottom