Any Vs Out there?

Gabby

Any vegetarians or vegans here? I just converted to vegetarian and sooon to be vegan. Honestly I thought I would miss meat but I haven't so far. In fact, kind of repulses me now. I've had several good meals in which I don't even miss the meat such as Chili. We made a vegan chocolate cake and I couldn't taste the difference between this and a normal cake. I made some like-burgers and couldn't taste the difference either. Pretty cool.

I've only started to incorporate this lifestyle for about a two weeks or so and I'm already beginning to see a change in my skin and flatter stomach. I cut out all fast food and soda which is also helping.

I'm finding thousands of good vegetarian/vegan recipes too.

Most of all, I'm no longer contributing to the mass production of inhuman killing of animals. My #1 reason.

We made a vegan chocolate cake and I couldn't taste the difference between this and a normal cake.
What's the difference between a vegan and regular cake? Didn't realize that there was "meat" in chocolate cake, or is there more to being a vegan besides not eating meat?

I've only started to incorporate this lifestyle for about a two weeks or so and I'm already beginning to see a change in my skin and flatter stomach. I cut out all fast food and soda which is also helping.
I stopped eating fast food (BTW Subway isn't fast food :p ) and drinking soda a few years ago, I'm now repulsed by it. I only drink water, with an occasional coffee or Poweraid.

Most of all, I'm no longer contributing to the mass production of inhuman killing of animals. My #1 reason.
Was wondering what your reason was. (y) BTW how are you replacing your protein (etc) intake now that you aren't eating meat?

For the record I love nothing better than eating a nice big and juicy burger. :D

Been a veggie since I was 16 - that means 42 years.......
Not wasting away.....by any means!

Can't say it's all related, but never spent a night in a hospital.....never even an hour, for that matter.
Whole family is also veggie - wifey and three kids..even a grand kid!
We eat dairy (cheese) and such. Protein is no problem - lots of good bread, oatmeal, beans, tofu, nuts, cheese, etc.

craig.webp

Hi DBA
Re: Cake No Eggs, no animal by products whatsoever. I'm still not a true vegan yet as I still eat eggs but we were trying out the vegan chocolcate cake recipe and I was expecting it to taste different, but it tasted exactly the same. http://www.chooseveg.com/vegan-chocolate-cake.asp

Re: Subway meat is still meat and processed at that. Ah I love Subway too but not anymore. For the last twenty years or so, all of my meat, milk and eggs have been organic but I was still eating the stuff and had reservations then.

I tried Poweraid but didn't like it much. I drink organic tea with no sugar and it tastes great. Soda was a tough one for me and the no-caffeine headache was brutal but it eventually went away. I will drink an occasional Sprite as it has no caffeine but still a ton of sugar.

Why? I'm beyond angry and disgusted by the mass production of animals for our mass consumption (especially in the U.S.). But most importantly, I'm also beyond sickened by the sheer tourture these animals go through to become our dinner. It's beyond pale. After watching the videos, I couldn't put another piece of meat in my body for the life of me. I'm very haunted by these videos.

Re: Protein. There are a ton of food sources with more than an ample supply of protein. Legumes for example. At this minute, my daughter is making another vegan chili recipe with five difference types of beans. So yummy. Some true Vegans use B-12 sups as well. My doc is a Vegan and she looks and feels great. I asked her all about it and she said she has never had any health problems due to lack of animal protein.

Re: Burger. LOL I used to love them too. Now I wouldn't touch one if it meant my life. I see one specific image in my mind of a cow with such a look of terror that I just simply can't.

It has been harder for me to get off sugar than it has meat. I'm still eating sugar just less of it. LOL

Anyway this is just my opinion and new lifestyle. Beyond inhumane animal treatment, I have a another huge reason to try anything to feel better but that is private for now. :)

Urgg.. and I have a living room full of high end leather furniture. WTH was I thinking?? Getting rid of it asap. Free to a good home.

Getting rid of your furniture really serves no net purpose.....that cow is already dead. In fact, a lot of chemicals and pollution will be created making the new "faux" stuff for you.

The most "green" thing you can do is to use it as long as possible.

Don't get too crazy about these things. You probably have hundreds of items in your house and pantry with some animal derived products in them.

IMHO, anyway.

Thanks Craigire. I just want it out of my house:) I just donated all of it to animal rescue thrift store in downtown. How ironic is that. Yikes! I actually have a penchant for finding used furnutre and making it look fantastic. So that is what I'm gonna do. But you are so correct.

Yeah, I'm going to start eliminating things as I become more educated on all this. As I'm reading more, I'm so surprised on how much a didn't know. Did you know that red food coloring comes from insects? Hurling now. Do you know how many red M&Ms I've eaten. LOL

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/he...03/06/are_insects_used_to_make_food_coloring/

The first and biggest step is done. I'm still surprised at how easy it was to give up meat.

On a good note, I swear I think my ass is smaller today. ;)

Hi DBA
Re: Cake No Eggs, no animal by products whatsoever. I'm still not a true vegan yet as I still eat eggs but we were trying out the vegan chocolcate cake recipe and I was expecting it to taste different, but it tasted exactly the same. http://www.chooseveg.com/vegan-chocolate-cake.asp
Oh dang, no eggs, milk, etc? :eek: Wow I could never do that.
Re: Subway meat is still meat and processed at that. Ah I love Subway too but not anymore. For the last twenty years or so, all of my meat, milk and eggs have been organic but I was still eating the stuff and had reservations then.
Sorry I was referring to the fact that I gave up fast food with the exception of Subway as I don't consider it "fast food". :p
I tried Poweraid but didn't like it much. I drink organic tea with no sugar and it tastes great. Soda was a tough one for me and the no-caffeine headache was brutal but it eventually went away. I will drink an occasional Sprite as it has no caffeine but still a ton of sugar.
I only drink Gatorade/Poweraid while working out or riding dirt bikes (motocross). Also no alcohol, with the exception of one (with a meal) every few months.

Coffee was a hard habit to break, I'd tried it at the same time I ditched the soda but couldn't do it. Wasn't able to ditch it until some time later, had a nasty crash and was off work for a couple weeks. Going cold turkey for 2 weeks seemed to do the trick. lol

Moderation in all things!

If I had to give up Pizza, I think I'd fly to Switzerland and ask to be put down....
;)

I was Vegan for three years - no sugar either at that time. Hard living! Try porridge for breakfast without any sweetener!

Food=Good

DBA. LOL I hear you on the coffee. I still occasionally drink decaf with a ton of organic milk because I like that flavor. I use organic (pesticide free) coffee we well. Yeah cold turkey seems to work better for me too, especially with the soda, although again the 3 day headache coming off that stuff was something else. I'm sorry to hear about your crash and I hope you're feeling better.

Craig. Very true. That is way with the exception of meat :) I'm not sure about full vegan yet. I'm not convinced that organic dairy cows have it that bad but if I do.... I'll be in Switzerland with ya, because I love my cheese. Oh yeah, and I've tried Oatmeal (Porridge) with no sugar for 6 weeks. By the 6th week I was almost hurling at the site of it. I lost 36 pounds but pretty much felt like hell.

It's the Summer ... I'm more carnivore than vegetarian !
If I can't grill it, I'm not eating it.

Coffee ... is either good for you or benign.
I cup per day Coffee drinkers live longer than non-coffee drinkers. People who drink 2-3 coffees per day live longer than people who only drink one cup per day.
Whoever suggested coffee was bad for you has probably retired now.

The largest and best study regarding coffee has already been completed. No study that comes after this will be as good as this one.
COFFEE IS GOOD FOR YOU.

It isn't the coffee, it's the pesticides on the coffee beens. :)

You know how it is. One year it's good for you the next year it isn't. LOL The Butter Margarine thing. Tee hee

Re: Burger. LOL I used to love them too. Now I wouldn't touch one if it meant my life. I see one specific image in my mind of a cow with such a look of terror that I just simply can't.
I don't understand your rationale.
I read this problem and come to a much different plan.
I'd get other people to kill my cows, and keep eating burgers.
Chacun son gout.

I'm sorry to hear about your crash and I hope you're feeling better.
Meh, goes with the sport, this was a couple years ago, I've had more since. :mad:
I'm not convinced that organic dairy cows have it that bad but if I do....
Having lived and worked on a farm, trust me not all animals have it bad. lol Some live better than some humans do. The media/animal rights people just like to make it seem that way.

The dairy farmers I worked for knew how important healthy cow were so they took good care of them. Healthy cows produce more milk aka more money, win-win. Heck all the cows had names and you could tell right away if something was wrong with one. However on the flip side, some of the huge dairy operations only saw them as numbers....

Dig. watch a video and see if you don't change our mind.

I dunno. We all have our opinions. Mine is that I would never eat another animal again. I cannot imagine my total consumption of meat within my lifetime already. Grosses me the hell out.

Top Bottom