Any sort of roadmap for Xenforo 2.3 ?

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

Not sure what you expect from 2.3? some sort of new god? The team will get it out (when it's ready)
Yup, the famous (when it's Ready)

happy youtube GIF by Guava Juice

Not sure what you expect from 2.3? some sort of new god?
Social Groups & a decent calendar!

I also expect it to wash my vehicles weekly, fix fantastic dinners, clean my house, do my yard work and create lots of money for me.

Nothing wrong with the few groups add-ons that are available, as for the calendar; why not use google? If you want bloated Sofware, use IPS.
I think the Xenforo team along with many others, would rather not overload the software with ****; If you look at most forums that use groups or (clubs) they have failed, so why add garbage to software that is already great?

Want extra items? Xenforo has a few good Devs,s that make it happen.

• Angry
Reactions: XKO
Nothing wrong with the few groups add-ons that are available, as for the calendar; why not use google? If you want bloated Sofware, use IPS.
I think the Xenforo team along with many others, would rather not overload the software with ****; If you look at most forums that use groups or (clubs) they have failed, so why add garbage to software that is already great?

Arguably, IPS is not bloated, because they've moved many things to separate ala carte extensions.

A first party group add-on means that there is more likely to be integration from a third-party developer, which is crucial for getting any quality of life. It is usually hard to get developers to work on integrating third party extensions, and with the exception of DragonByte and Bob's add-ons I rarely have luck with it.

@Tracy Perry site is made up of multiple local groups that have their own event schedules and meet ups, so wanting an integrated calendar that integrates into the group system is important in his use case. Currently he could get by with Truong's social group add-on, and possibly using Nixfifty's Calendar, but they do not integrate so he will have to convince Truong to add that as functionality if he also wants groups to display public events.

Bloat is only bloat when you cannot disable it or when it interferes with the way you use the software; seeing as XenForo usually does things as official add-ons or as systems you can turn off entirely it would not be bloat. It is also not a specific implementation or feature, but more a feature that has been offered by other systems in the past.

If you want bloated Sofware, use IPS
You're about 4 years behind the times... and the social group/calendar integration they have was good. And let's not even talk about the power of Pages. It fit the site I was running at the time perfectly. Was able to create "custom" add-ons using Pages and creating database entries for them as well as custom templates for display (something that I rely on @Bob's add-ons with XF for as he does it SO much better than I could with Pages).
Calendar/Social groups, if done correctly, should not amount to any "bloat".
I guess when you go out and buy a new truck or car, you buy the base line model and then go out and add all the accessories, color paint, etc on it that you really want? Ignore the "bloat" of those packages as provided by the vehicle manufacturer, and pay WAY more than necessary to get what you desired?

And how long have you ran IPS's script? Considering how much more the base forum script aspect does than XF, it was not THAT much more resource intensive in my testing on the separate VPS's they were installed on (identical LAMP stack).

My site is an astronomy/astrophotography site, and I'm beginning to go to different astronomy clubs and get the word out in my area.... and having an ability to give them their own little "cubby" with a calendar for their events would be great. As @Forsaken explained, I also want the ability for normal users to create calendar events that may not be specific to a group and that all can see, as well as those social groups being able to do the same in a "community" calendar. If @truonglv ever extends his social groups with that type of calendar ability, I would most likely add yet one more 3rd party add-on into the mix... but I'd MUCH rather it be a 1st party solution as it would be such an integral part of the site I would prefer not to have to depend on a 3rd party being around for a period of time.

Some sort of RSVP to event Calendar should honestly be a standard feature now a days for any community platform. After all, that is what general community coordination runs off of. I am still somewhat baffled a Calendar has not been made a standard feature thus far tbh

Some sort of RSVP to event Calendar should honestly be a standard feature now a days for any community platform. After all, that is what general community coordination runs off of. I am still somewhat baffled a Calendar has not been made a standard feature thus far tbh
But not every community using Xenforo needs one. Some of us are still running discussion boards with some content, not managing a community that requires appointments and RSVPs and such.

So to my eye, it is an ideal case for an add-on. Could be a first-party add-on but, as @NobleMan was suggesting, adding every feature that every user could want to the base is what creates bloatware. I prefer the model of a streamlined core with plenty of extensibility so that add-ons, first or third party, can be used to build off of that core. And a Calendar, to my eye, is an add-on, not core.

I know you disagree and I am happy to respect that. However, this is the second time today someone has said or implied that a feature they want applies to "any community" when I know for a fact it does not. I am not on a single board (I am on probably 6 or so forum sites regularly, which are running on at least three different platforms) that uses a feature like this.

But not every community using Xenforo needs one. Some of us are still running discussion boards with some content, not managing a community that requires appointments and RSVPs and such.

So to my eye, it is an ideal case for an add-on. Could be a first-party add-on but, as @NobleMan was suggesting, adding every feature that every user could want to the base is what creates bloatware. I prefer the model of a streamlined core with plenty of extensibility so that add-ons, first or third party, can be used to build off of that core. And a Calendar, to my eye, is an add-on, not core.

I know you disagree and I am happy to respect that. However, this is the second time today someone has said or implied that a feature they want applies to "any community" when I know for a fact it does not. I am not on a single board (I am on probably 6 or so forum sites regularly, which are running on at least three different platforms) that uses a feature like this.
Ofcourse not "every" community needs one. But you can say the same about tons of other base features already included in the software. IMO Community coordination and scheduling is a pretty fundamental needs these days. Heck, even FB and other social media platforms felt the need to include a calendar system as a base-system. As opposed to telling their users "go use Google calendar" ect.

I am with @Mendalla they only thing I want is a lean, mean, optimized forum software, which is stable, secure, fast, and seo optimized. I was on IPS and never used the calendar once. Neither did any of my members. A calendar option should be just that, an option, something like gallery, etc.

I am with @Mendalla they only thing I want is a lean, mean, optimized forum software, which is stable, secure, fast, and seo optimized. I was on IPS and never used the calendar once. Neither did any of my members. A calendar option should be just that, an option, something like gallery, etc.

I would be fine if it was an official addon like the Resource Manager and Media Gallery. Those additions were seen as valuable, I am sure a Calendar would be too for alot of clients.

I really don't think, based upon the history of the developers, they will go down the "Charles & Lindy" road. And this is from someone who has been observing both since about 2012.

But I find it rather ironic how you (and some others) appear to find more and more to worry about...

Take a hint from this
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Not getting a single reply on something so basic as a company's documentation when you're trying to integrate with their software is the same as "find[ing] more and more to worry about"? What's with all of these anonymous defenders? This thread is about a simple fricking question and we get every creative response. This is a very easy question - they can even answer "no" if they want.

Top Bottom