Any sort of roadmap for Xenforo 2.3 ?

A fair point, but an unfortunate impediment is that Apple doesn't properly support PWAs, unlike Android and Windows. As they have such a large share of the market, this is very significant.
Next year, push notifications are coming to iOS Safari, but I think the fact that OneSignal ruined PWA push notifications for everyone has not changed over the years. I don't often see people saying good things about web push these days.

No it is not a impediment - because the point here is to get a meaningful reply from an XF developer, not streamline the web experience and plan across tech giants. PWAs and native apps can both benefit from having open SSO/auth integrations.
Some of us have successful communities of 1000s on social media ready to move onto something like XF - but we are waiting until we know we can implement and support some kind of custom integration for a decade to come. Is XF moving into the cloud domain? Is self-hosted XF and XF cloud code going to diverge? Some docs with auth/SSO integration details for XF are not that hard to produce and a potential boon for the XF owners.
I agree that auth0 integration and an OAuth API would be good. That said, the rewiring required to do that would be very burdensome to the developers without any clear benefits, since most enterprises who need special login integrations (note: on XF) build custom add-ons themselves.

Good luck with that response. As you know, XF devs aren't exactly forthcoming.
It's probably not so much that they aren't forthcoming as much as their hands are full with the workload they already have.

Last edited:
I agree that auth0 integration and an OAuth API would be good. That said, the rewiring required to do that would be very burdensome to the developers without any clear benefits, since most enterprises who need special login integrations build custom add-ons themselves.
Not sure what the evidence is for that considering IBP let's you use it as a master or slave for SSO. Other competitors as well. I'm not buying that it is so hard to support some basic non-proprietary auth API. Clear benefits of letting their customers integrate with their auth system?

Not sure what the evidence is for that considering IBP let's you use it as a master or slave for SSO. Other competitors as well. I'm not buying that it is so hard to support some basic non-proprietary auth API. Clear benefits of letting their customers integrate with their auth system?
If IPB and the other competitors have what you need, then why aren't you moving your social media users to one of those platforms?

Next year, push notifications are coming to iOS Safari, but I think the fact that OneSignal ruined PWA push notifications for everyone has not changed over the years. I don't often see people saying good things about web push these days.
I'm sorry, I don't know anything about OneSignal. Let's see how things develop.

It's probably not so much that they aren't forthcoming as much as their hands are full with the workload they already have.
No, they're not forthcoming. No matter how busy one is, and I'm sure they are, there's always time for communication with your paying customers. Dunno why, but XF staff have clammed up completely and that's not right. I've noticed a significant deterioration in my time here, since I joined in March 2021, let alone from before. I have no experience of before that time, but judging from the many comments I've seen, XF used to communicate a lot more and staff were more present on the forum than now. As I said, I can see the difference in the relatively short time I've been here.

I've seen, XF used to communicate a lot more and staff were more present on the forum than now. As I said, I can see the difference in the relatively short time I've been here.
That reminds me of the good old "This forum used to be much better in the past", often followed by "Please delete my account" (can be used for every forum by any member at any time)... :rolleyes:

That reminds me of the good old "This forum used to be much better in the past", often followed by "Please delete my account" (can be used for every forum by any member at any time)... :rolleyes:
I've never understood those demands for account deletions. All one has to do is log out and never return. Perhaps turn off all the alerts too, or just block the forum email address that the alerts come from will do.

I've never understood those demands for account deletions.
remove their email or personal data from a website. You never know if the forum is sold or the database is leaked and someone finds a way to get the passwords or get the emails/data to send newsletters or such things.

Anyway, WW3 is coming and XF staff may be called to go to war. I hope they will release XF 2.3 by then

I think one thing we can all agree on is the deafening silence from the development team is not acceptable.

Communication should always be a top priority within any business.
I completely agree with this.

I would like to highlight this thread that @sbj just created:

SBJ really highlights the bigger picture of this entire discussion.

Why are we guessing at what they believe when this is their forum and we are paying them to be able to post here? "They don't believe the future of web is with native apps" -> And what does this even mean? The future is PWAs and note native apps? I agree - and so why not help us integrate XF with our auth/SSO so we can do PWAs correctly? Or reply in any meaningful capacity?
My point is that they are not commenting on major suggestions and I believe this is a mistake.

What does SSO have to do with PWAs and what support for PWAs is XF lacking?

Which no one asked for.
First... yes, it HAS been asked for in the past and I've seen it asked for numerous times since IPS was offering similar.
Second... remind us... what is the purpose of a company in a capitalistic society? Is it not to MAKE MONEY? Do you not tend to MAKE MONEY by diverging your base product into additional streams that people HAVE asked for and that MAKE MONEY?

Now, as for your "suggestions" you pointed out.. explain exactly how that provides a more reliable source of income than their Cloud offering does (returning back to the position that as business owners, their main concern is profit and INCREASING fund streams).

My point is.. YOU see it from the end user aspect and what would benefit YOU...THEY look at it from a business owner aspect as to what will increase the flow of funds (which are REQUIRED to keep a business running) and benefit the company more. Once you expand and increase that funding, THEN you can start working on the "little things".

Top Bottom