Any plans about XF suggestions?

sbj

Hello everyone,

I wanted to wait for the HYS 2.2 to finish but perhaps it is better to ask it now while the activity is there.

Are there any plans to change how XF handles suggestions?

Currently we post it in the suggestions forum and the first post has to be liked.

But I believe the current approach is not very useful and as we get no direct feedback about the suggestions, I am not sure how much of the thousands of suggestions get seen, noticed or noted by the developers. Obviously having so many customers means so many suggestions and one cannot please everyone or implement everything, even not remotely close but I think a better suggestions system would perhaps satisfy more people.

I would like to see a more organized system and perhaps more feedback. There are some ideas I can think of (and probably other people too) but this is not the point. I just want to know if we will see some changes and perhaps what kind of. If no changes are planned, should we make suggestions about XF suggestions in the suggestions forum?

Thank you.

What's wrong with the current format?
IMHO it is perfectly fine, we can make suggestions and discuss them, express interest be voting on the first post, developers can easily see what's most popular.
What else would be needed?

@Kirby

One problem is discoverability.

When was the last time you clicked on the suggestions forum, then clicked on the pagination and went to page 43? I bet never.

So, in theory people can discuss them, but first people need to notice them. I would say most suggestions are buried deep down there and not many people have seen them. The current approach favors the "newest" suggestion as it is on the first page until newer suggestions come along and bye bye.

That is not an ideal environment imo. That is one problem.

The other problem is how all is organized. It would be nice to have a better categorization of the suggestions. See at the RM. Is every addon put into one category? No. Why are ALL suggestions in one place? We could categorize them much better with prefixes, custom fields or simply by more nodes.

And then one more thing is feedback. It would be nice if our suggestions could be categorized by the devs like "low priority, medium priority" or stuff like "easy to implement, medium, hard". etc. If they consider them or not is another question but at least knowing that they have seen the suggestion and labeling them would be a great feedback for us.

I believe the addon survey the XF team is currently conducting will guide addon development in the near future. The current system will probably play a supplemental role.

Ahahahaah, did not expect that.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I believe the addon survey the XF team is currently conducting will guide addon development in the near future. The current system will probably play a supplemental role.
Just to clear something up, this isn't anything to do with add-on development or suggestions.

We aren't even collecting which third party add-ons you have installed, we're only collecting how many. So it's not like it's telling us "hey, X people all have a blog add-on so we should make a blog add-on" or anything like that.

We are collecting which specific official add-ons you have installed as, although we know how many of each have been sold, it's interesting to know how many are actually installed/enabled.

@Chris D @sbj
I already suggested a better approach to this... phpBB does this is a much more organized manner. You are able to quickly check out up (and down) votes on top ideas, new ideas etc, all from the index page.

See on suggestion here, feel free to like.

Last edited:
Well, we'll see some news about it soon. Perhaps they implemented something similar. I also think a reddit like upvoting system should be helpful. Have had similar ideas aswell.

Top Bottom