Any Military Veterans Here?

Are You or Have You Been in Military Service?

• Total voters
Honestly, no... you don't.

I find those who go bragging about things usually never saw anything and don't know what its really like. A lot of "tall tails" have been told by fools who sat behind desk or were lucky enough not to see real action.

You're better off not having a story to tell.
How did I miss this? Pure comedy. Although this is true, it goes for any job. What makes military stories the exception is culture that glorifies war such as movies, videogames and the military industrial complex america has turned into. They're working on a SR 72 Blackbird drone that goes 6 times the speed of sound and has hypersonic missles. Thats gonna cost billions of dollars. Wtf do we need that for really? 'Forget the economy lets build fast planes that blow stuff up!' The dollars real worth is like $0.33 or something. We're screwed.

/rant

Last edited:
How did I miss this? Pure comedy. Although this is true, it goes for any job. What makes military stories the exception is culture that glorifies war such as movies and the military industrial complex america has turned into. They're working on a SR 72 Blackbird drone that goes 6 times the speed of sound and has hypersonic missles. Thats gonna cost billions of dollars. Wtf do we need that for really? The dollars real worth is like $0.33 or something. We're screwed.

/rant

exactly... its like shooting someone six times, after first one already got it done.

Lol straight up overkill. I love planes and I think an SR 72 is cool but we have real home land crises that a blackbird can't fix at the moment.

Just came from the VA for checkup. For years I've been going to the VA without using travel pay. I didn't know they paid you to go there until recently. I can't believe I could've been compensated for 30 miles each time wow. Anyway I noticed the veterans that I do know of on here like @Sheldon and @bobster65 here do post sorta differently from regular posters.
Sorry... but you are such a loser want to be... I am an Australian Army veteran of 6 conflicts, and I mean "veteran" in the correct sense of deployment into an active combat zone... and I'm sorry, but you do not seem to come across as any type of "veteran" in the sense of military "active" service within a war zone. You seem to be a "want to be" which is what I mostly come across in life... people who "think" they've endeavoured active military service, but have otherwise just been "want to be" warriors of actual war and conflicts who talk too much sh*t vs actually serving their country in combat.

Loser! Sorry mods... but combat is what declares a veteran, nothing less.

Last edited:
1200PSI, 32knots and no smoke ... retired us navy steam propulsion engineer here. served on two forest sherman class destroyers, a knox class frigate, a leahy class guided missile cruiser, adams class guided missile destroyer, and the last of the diesel-fueled aircraft carriers. I retired boiler technician master chief in 1993, never had any of my people injured on the job, sent them all back to their momma with all their fingers and their toes, never damaged any equipment, never had to put out any main propulsion space fires, accomplished all tasks for scheduled maintenance availabilities, ships were always ready to depart as scheduled for delpoyments. wherever/whenever they wanted to go we got them there as scheduled.

Sorry... but you are such a loser want to be... I am an Australian Army veteran of 6 conflicts, and I mean "veteran" in the correct sense of deployment into an active combat zone... and I'm sorry, but you do not seem to come across as any type of "veteran" in the sense of military "active" service within a war zone. You seem to be a "want to be" which is what I mostly come across in life... people who "think" they've endeavoured active military service, but have otherwise just been "want to be" warriors of actual war and conflicts who talk too much sh*t vs actually serving their country in combat.

A vet is a vet in our country here and it doesn't matter if you cook hash or cook off rounds, you are helping fight the fight. Some of the most important missions of the military don't even use guns as primary weapons.

NROL32_patch-e1290697579680.webp
030-e1308249037349.webp
015-e1308237781492.webp
NRO_05.webp

Anyone who serves their country with honor deserves it in return...if that can't be shown nothing should be.

A vet is a vet in our country here and it doesn't matter if you cook hash or cook off rounds, you are helping fight the fight.
I converse with a lot of US veterans, often daily, and they beg to differ on your view. To them, a veteran is someone who has served in a combat zone on active service, not someone who has served in the military or who served doing little to nothing away from anything scary. Dropping bombs from an airplane, yes... firing guns in support of ground troops from a ship, yes... cooking food in the rear echelon away from 99% of risk... NO.

I think you need to speak with more veterans quite honestly... they beg to differ on your opinion from within the USA.

I know many vets and actually break bread with them , dump rounds with them and have long lasting friendships with them. Whatever your slanted view is about servicemen a vet is anyone who gave up years of their life to serve.

You are talking about combat vets, however devaluing the time someone gave to their country because they never toe tagged anyone is truly calloused and is quite insulting...like saying anyone who can't write a script is not a webmaster with the exception being it is not nearly as close minded or disrespectful, yet both are false.

I don't know who your foxhole buddies are but I can tell you that I am happy that I don't have to hear their holier than thou attitude, I would think any flyboy considers his retired mechanic a vet...because he serves a vital role...and that goes for any mil job.

Well aren't you a grumpy mofo this morning. You can sit and eat jello and brag about all the combat you want. I'm not a warmonger nor do I approve of U.S. foreign policy. Half our wars ain't even justified. That doesn't impress me.

I fixed trucks, did honor guard and volunteered in the local community, so much to the point I have a silver congressional award. Was pretty much the only one in my squadron doing all that extra stuff because even before I joined the military I used to volunteer for stuff at my church or school. I did that stuff even when I had to work 15 hour days 7 days a week. I took kids to the zoo, art museums, organized competitions, sleepovers etc at the community center and teen center. I mentored elementary and junior high school students even subjects I hated myself when I was in school. Everywhere I go I try to give something of myself and I do so not for glory or to brag about it or to be a 'wanna be' which is actually what your coming off to me sounding like a hypocrite right now. My volunteer spirit is very strong, so much to the point that I volunteer without even trying, just look at how many resources I have on here that's helped other people. That's me not even trying.

Random tho, I caught that volunteer spirit from my mom who in turn caught it from her grandpa. You pretty much gotta start young and once you do it carries on throughout your whole life until you die. We need more of that. Not war zones.

Since we're dropping patches in here... My Bomb Wing dropped nukes on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The big mushroom cloud is Hiroshima. The little mushroom cloud is Nagasaki. Even us enlisted airmen who never had to shoot a person so they can brag about it on xenforo.com like Anthony Parsons had to watch footage of B2 Stealth Bombers dropping bombs in Iraq. Being told that we have the most kills with none of us having to pick up a gun... then looking at the statistics of how many civilians died in Iraq compared to how many died in 9/11... smh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/509th_Bomb_Wing
509th_Bomb_Wing.png

Lets make a distinction between 'combat veteran' and 'veteran' .. should just about cover all of us... veterans all the same.. lets make one more thing very clear, although we do not get to necessarily choose where we serve, or what is the mission we all have one important distinction by having entered into military service we basically gave our governement a 'blank check' in letting them do as they will with our very life for duration of our service. 'into the jaws of death and into the mouth of hell...'
mastechief OUT! .. enuff said about that and carry on .. LOL

One more thing... when I retired, all my uniforms went into the trash.. everything. I put my dungarees back on, let my hair grow to my shoulders. That came in pretty handy as I worked that first winter 80below windchill here in Chicago.. I worked outdoors at the California Coach Yards for Chicago/Northwestern Trans Co. as yard machinist. (winter of early 1994)

I did not keep any patches.. I still have my shadow box that I received just before I was piped over the side from the USS Kitty Hawk CV63, docked at North Island Naval Air Station San Diego CA. I still have all my plaques given to me by each Chief Mess that I was member of .. USS Richmond K Turner CG20, USS Buchanan DDG14 and again the USS Kitty Hawk CV63

Lastly, I have a plaque with Chief Creed displayed, I was intiated in the fall of 1982 at Recruit Training Command Great lakes where I was navy bootcamp drill instructor (sounds neat huh??? actually, the official title is Recruit Company Commander, but I like the drill instructor reference better, so I apologize for the lengthy elaboration)

I was able to spend over half my us navy career in khakis so I am VERY proud of that..

Last edited:
Wow @masterchief that's making me reminisce trying to figure what all I did with my old stuff. I had a lot of camo stuff so I kept those because they were warm but not the bdu top's, none of my dress blues, ripped my patches off and gave the stuff I did not want (except for nametags) to a waterfront mission. I did keep my work overalls. Useful cause I could do yard work in em. I don't wear most of that stuff nowadays but I do still wear that big gortex jacket. That thing is the bomb.

My favorite memory was playing tackle football on the pier in Tunis, Tunisia in early 1970s.. it was machinist mates against boiler technicians.. It was a site to behold as we were huge fellas slamming the hell out of each other (EVIL GRIN) We had to stop after we fished out one of our guys that had fallen off the edge of the pier and into the water. I was assigned to USS Dupont DD941 at the time.

@Anthony Parsons

You sir... I have a few choice words I would love to share with you. But I do not think on a company support forum such as XenForo, I would be allowed to say them.

It is in part because of people who were no where near harms way, that I am alive today. And call them vets all the same.

I think you should have better respect for all the people who serve.

My favorite memory was playing tackle football on the pier in Tunis, Tunisia in early 1970s.. it was machinist mates against boiler technicians.. It was a site to behold as we were huge fellas slamming the hell out of each other (EVIL GRIN) We had to stop after we fished out one of our guys that had fallen off the edge of the pier and into the water. I was assigned to USS Dupont DD941 at the time.
lol!!! I used to play tackle football too until some dude's arm got broken and they forbade us from doing it anymore. How the heck did he fall off the pier? That's a kodak moment.

I have been member of three different Chief Mess on us navy ships .. you learn to develop THICK skin quickly and not let things get to you so easily. Now Anthony has needs and I hope he has found peace.. peace to you my brother!

My son David served three tours in Iraq with US Marines 2/5 Golf Company as Hospital Corpsman where he saved us marine lives on the battlefield. He actually exchanged fire himself with enemy ground forces. He has now chosen to go US Army where he spent 1 year tour in Afghanistan at FOB Lightening where he was senior combat medic. He went on patrol with US Special Forces. He is now instructor at Fort Sam Houston army post,trying to get into the Army Rangers. I love my son, wish him peace and pray for his safety every day. He studies BJJ at Gracie Barra San Antonio to get it all out.. HooRAH!

Me and my six yr old son hang out at EKF Kung Fu studio three times a week here in Chicago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom