Any Military Veterans Here?

Are You or Have You Been in Military Service?

• Total voters
Holy moley! Look at all the Jarheads! Ooh rah, brothers! (I only did 4 years but I was there, man! I seen things!*)

*I saw nothing. I spent my entire tour at Edson Range at Camp Pendleton. I was the storeroom guy in the chow hall. I gave #10 cans of potatoes to the cooks. But I did it all bada**!

Holy moley! Look at all the Jarheads! Ooh rah, brothers! (I only did 4 years but I was there, man! I seen things!*)

*I saw nothing. I spent my entire tour at Edson Range at Camp Pendleton. I was the storeroom guy in the chow hall. I gave #10 cans of potatoes to the cooks. But I did it all bada**!

Was just thinking the same thing of how many among us. Guess our veteran slogan needs to be changed to.. the few, the proud, the xenForo admins.

Well I spent time in 2 different branches. Went in the Marines after flunking out of my freshman year of college. Made it through boot camp and MCT and had some personal family issues so got a hardship discharge. Waited a few years later after those personal family issues were no longer an issue and joined the Navy. Spent my enlistment at NAS Sigonella in good ole Sigonella Sicily. By the time they got me to Sicily and back to the US after my time there my 4 was up.

Was your rate IT, or did you go the ET route, or other?

Neither, which is sort of weird considering my current job, I guess. My rate was AWR, and when not flying I worked in SAR. I honestly didn't have any idea what I wanted to do in the Navy when I went to go enlist, so when they mentioned Aircrew at MEPS, it sounded cool and I took it, hah.

Were you an IT?

Neither, which is sort of weird considering my current job, I guess. My rate was AWR, and when not flying I worked in SAR. I honestly didn't have any idea what I wanted to do in the Navy when I went to go enlist, so when they mentioned Aircrew at MEPS, it sounded cool and I took it, hah.

Were you an IT?

Ah, I see. Yes, I was an IT. They wasted my knowledge at NCTAMS LANT, unfortunately, where I did mostly comms.

Ah, I see. Yes, I was an IT. They wasted my knowledge at NCTAMS LANT, unfortunately, where I did mostly comms.

Ah, okay. Did you like Norfolk?

If I were just going in today, I'd probably go IT. We had two in our squadron, but their complaint was pretty much the same -- their knowledge was being wasted there. What's like the dream orders for an IT?

If I were just going in today, I'd probably go IT. We had two in our squadron, but their complaint was pretty much the same -- their knowledge was being wasted there. What's like the dream orders for an IT?

Working for DIA or DISA. DISA had unlimited money and antiquated equipment, could never figure that part out.

For me, personally, it would have involved the actual definition of the rate, Information Systems Technician. I wanted to do network/system administration.

Working for DIA
My first job after I left active duty was working for DIA as a contractor. It wasn't bad at all.

Been there. Done that. It was a pain in the backside. Worked in the NOC for a 10,000 user network.
I was 21 years old at the time, trying to get my foot in the door. The experience would have done me well. Instead, (and not that I'm complaining), I ended up getting a job developing web applications, which up until then, was just a hobby for me. Worked out for me in the end, because I'm doing something I love for much more than a system/network admin would make.

Top Bottom