Another Big Board converts to XenForo

DomainArchitect.com

http://namepros.com

Just discovered this while visting that site, which was previously hanging on at the 3.8.x if I remember correclty.

Are the admin team members of that forum active here? If so, please chime in! I would love to hear how the transition went.

Mods, please remove if this is a repost.

Are the admin team members of that forum active here? If so, please chime in! I would love to hear how the transition went.

It took a lot of planning and preparation. We modified the importer to be multithreaded so we could make use of multiple cores. We did look at alternative importers, but we ran into fundamental flaws with all of them. We also made quite a few custom add-ons.

Fully optimized, the import process took under an hour on an ephemeral 32-core VM. Without optimizations, it would have taken weeks. Most of the downtime was spent rebuilding caches and verifying the integrity of the import.

Blimey surprised to see them move. I was a moderator for years over there and they were extremely reluctant to do anything. I know Ron sold up a couple of years ago after some legal issues. Maybe it'll finally be given the attention it deserves as it was once an awesome community even if you werent into domaining.

Fully optimized, the import process took under an hour on an ephemeral 32-core VM. Without optimizations, it would have taken weeks. Most of the downtime was spent rebuilding caches and verifying the integrity of the import.

Did you have any more efficient way to rebuild the caches than the built-in web rebuild function? That's the only thing that has me squirrely about our upcoming transition. The "big board importer" has the import time down to an hour or so but I've done test rebuilds of the caches and they're taking hours. Granted, the board can be up during that time but it still causes significant slowdowns and prevents proper searching etc.

Top Bottom