Another bailout country in EU

He's already started his reelection campaign. Like he has a chance in hell of winning again.

Sadly, he does. The GOP doesn't seem to offer much of a viable alternative. I'm very much a republican, but I'm not religious at all, and the religious right seems to have hijacked the GOP at the moment.

Actually, everyone should learn 'Native American' then....yeah? ;)

There was not a language we could call Native American, there where quite a few of them. It would have been tough to speak a Native North American language and would have required most of the natives to change languages as well. I think it would have been harder yet if we include Central and South American languages.

A great many of the tribes here if they speak a native language it is not their own they are speaking. An example would be the Cheyenne , those of the Cheyenne that speak a native tongue are usually speaking Dakota of the Siouan family of languages. Dakota happens to be the last surviving language of the Siouan family of languages. The Cheyenne where an Algonquian speaking tribe. The Cheyenne, was the only tribe to speak Algonquian on the great plains as this was an East coast language of the Algic family of languages, well to be fair some Blackfoot and Arapaho spoke it. In fact that Cheyenne had lost some of their identity to the Sioux as the previous tribe name is lost. The word Cheyenne in the Dakota language is "those who talk strange" A name given to them by the Sioux.

There are eight surviving native languages. I don't know the number of speakers to be considered surviving but lowest count considered to be surviving is Choctaw with a little over 9000 still using the language. Choctaw is the last surviving language of the Muskogean family of languages. The largest surviving native language is Navajo (150,000 speakers) of the Athabaskan family of languages . Another language survives of the Athabaskan family of languages and that is Apache (15,000 speakers). The closest analogy I can come up with is like Spanish, French, and Italian, are related as the romance languages. The sentence structures of the various language families are very different from each other. The Algic family survives with three languages remaining, Cree-60,000, Ojibwa-50,000, and Blackfoot-10,000. Then finally there is Cherokee, the last of the Iroquoian languages to survive with 22,500 native tongue speakers. Shoot, I forgot about the Aluet speakers (some but not all the Eskimo's), there has to be some speaking that still, I am guessing it is below 9,000 speakers (I might as well clear this up to, there are 24 non-Eskimo tribes in Alaska as well, too many think Eskimo's are the only ones).

At one time there was 229 language families in the America's (North, Central, and South America) with over a thousand individual languages. 269 of these thousand plus languages where spoken in what is now the United States. I think it would have been very difficult for Europeans to learn to speak American Indian, the American Indian's didn't speak Indian either. It is odd that American Indians are so often lumped into a big homogeneous group. Oh, I find this interesting too, I interact with members of the Otoe, Ponca, Tonkawa, Osage, Kaw, Iowa, and a few other tribes. Many of them hate the term Native Americans. Some like to be just called Americans, some like to be called Indians, and some like to be called a tribal name. Here is an example, I know an Otoe that says "I am not a Native America, I am not an Indian, I am an Otoe
". We should not lump them into one group as they had different practices, cultures, and languages. The thing they had in common is various ratios of Mongolian and Polynesian ancestory and the fact they where in the America's.

I about choke when someone from areas that have very few Native "do you speak any Indian". ACK!!! Which of the Eight remaining ones?

Sorry, I am on a Rant :)

What would happen if we went back in time and stuck a Peskotomuhkati, a Chimakum, and a Hitchiti in the same room. You get people that can't talk to each other.

Sorry, I am on a Rant :)

What would happen if we went back in time and stuck a Peskotomuhkati, a Chimakum, and a Hitchiti in the same room. You get people that can't talk to each other.

Lets see, the natives could have got together and decided what language was the official language of North America. Lets see who we need to get represented in this meeting. Here is A-C, we still have 24 letters in the Alphabet to go. I had to get to the C's to include Peggy's tribe.

Ababco Abenaki Aberginian Abittibi Absaroka Accohanoc Accominta Achiligonan Achomawi Acolapissa Acquintanacsnak Acuera Adai Adirondack Adshusheer AguaCaliente Agawam Ahantchuyuk Ais Akonapi Alabama Alchedoma Aleut Algonquin Allakaweah Alliklik Alsea Amacano Amahami Amaseconti Amikwa Anadarko Anasazi Anishinaabe Ani-Stohini Aondironon Apache Apalachee Apalachicola Appomattoc Aquackanonk Aranama Arapaho Arendahronon Arikara
Arivaipa Arkokisa Armouchiquois Arosaguntacook Ascahcutoner Assegun Assiniboine Assuti Atakapa Atanumlema Atchatchakangouen Atfaiati Athapascan Atikamek Atquanachuke Atsina Atsugewi Aucocisco Avavares Avoyel Ani/Awanichi Awatobi Bahacecha Bankalachi Bannock Basawunena Bayougoula Bellabella Beothuk Bersiamite Bidai Bigiopa Biloxi Blackfoot Blewmouths Bocootawwonauke Brotherton Buena-Vista Caddo Cahokia Cahuilla Cajuenche Calapooya Callam Calusa Canarsee Caparaz Cape-Fear-Indians Capinans Catawba Cathlacomatup Cathlacumup Cathlakaheckit Cathlamet Cathlanahquiah Cathlapotle Cathlathlalas Caughnawaga Cayuga Cayuse Chactoo Chakankni Chakchiuma Chatot Chaui Chaushila Chawasha Chehalis Chelamela Chelan Chemehuevi Chepenafa Cheraw Cherokee Chesapeake Chetco Cheyenne Chiaha Chickahominy Chickamauga Chickasaw Chilliwack Chilluckittequaw Chilula
Chimakuan Chimakum Chimariko Chine Chinook Chippewa Chiricahua Chitimacha Chiricahua Choctaw Choula Chowanoc Chumash Clackama Clallam Clatskanie Clatsop Clowwewalla Coahuiltecan Coaque Cochimi Cochiti Cocopa
Colville Comanche Conestoga Congaree Conoy Coos Copalis Coree Costanoan Coushatta Cowichan Cowlitz Cree Creek Croatan Crow Cuñeil Cupeño

You will find that a many states are named after tribes, Iowa, Delaware, Alabama, Dakota, Missouri and others. Cities, well a whole lot of them. Towns, bucket loads. We have a lot of consulting to do to get this Unified Native language going.

You meant Bison, right?

I'll get my coat.

:D

The Lakota, Dakota, and Nakota would call it ta tanka.
The Blackfoot will say ee-nii
The Cheyenne think it should be called hotowa'e
The Cree say buskwa moostoos
A Crow will tell you it is a bi shee
The Jack say tanka.

Sorry for to all the tribes I didn't mention :)

I think I have derailed this thread enough. See what happens when you think there was a single Native American language. You find a guy like me that goes on a weird rant. :ROFLMAO:

Since they speak english now, it's not necessary. 200 years ago? Yes absolutely.
However, I do know some cherokee, being 1/2 Cherokee.

"200 years ago" a group of people didn't even bother to communicate with the indigenous. Today, tables turn around and you FEEL like the indigenous(the ones that weren't enslaved or killed) once felt when they were FORCED to learn a new language to communicate with the "INVADERS"

200 years from now, your descendants will be debating about the same issues we are debating about right now, maybe they will be speaking a new language and one of them will say "Since they speak "insert new language here" now, it's not necessary. 200 years ago? Yes absolutely. However, I do know some "insert our current language here/English", being 1/2 "whatever".

I don't know where you're from, but here in the U.S.A, no foreigner has ever FORCED me to learn his/her language. The ones I have met and communicated with, always did so in English, broken English, but still English.

We have people here who speak so many languages I can't even count them. But they're not required to learn english. WHy?? That is just beyond me. You can bet if I moved to Mexico or Cuba, etc I'd be requred to learn Spanish.

I can get very vehement when it comes to this subject, so I'd better shut up now...

Who isn't required to learn English? If they weren't required to learn English, there would be ZERO English schools, ZERO ESL programs, but I'm sure you ignore this as well.

Also, have you lived in Mexico or Cuba to make such an ignorant statement?
I don't know about Cuba as I haven't had the opportunity to travel there, but I have been to Mexico countless times. There is no official language there, you can speak in any language you want and no one will force to you learn a new one, you can even request government documents in whatever language you speak.

Do you have any idea of the number of countries that have FORCED their people to learn English? My cousin who is from Germany is required to learn English, but why? Don't they speak German there? She writes and speaks English better than most people here in the states.

At least kids in the U.S.A are given choices, but in other countries, English is their only choice.

You shouldn't shut up, what you should do is educate yourself, you'll see the world from a different perspective.

....... I don't know where you're from, but here in the U.S.A, no foreigner has ever FORCED me to learn his/her language. The ones I have met and communicated with, always did so in English, broken English, but still English.

Who isn't required to learn English? If they weren't required to learn English, there would be ZERO English schools, ZERO ESL programs, but I'm sure you ignore this as well.

Good grief, calm down Ray. I don't believe that I've made any ignorant statements.
I was born and raised in the USA, tyvm, specifically, in Florida. Ever lived in Florida? I doubt it.
There is an abundance of people from Cuba, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Haiti, and so on. Over and above having been born and raised in the beautiful state, I also traveled the state as a photographer. I know that of which I speak. I heard "no speake' engles'" on a daily basis for the several years that I was a photographer, particularly in South Florida.

I didn't say that any foreigner here in the USA forced anyone to speak their language. What I said was that if I went to a foreign country, I would have to learn the language, and expect people coming to this country to do the same.

Foreigners are required to learn english for US citizenship, yes. But they are not required to learn english in order to work or live here, on immigrant status. Or at least if they are, they don't abide by the rules. Yes there are schools where they can go to learn the language. I'm sure glad that there are. I wish more people would take advantage of them.

However, this thread is not a debate about the US, the english language, or anything else to do with us. It's a thread about the EU.

EXACTLY! +1

Yes I do agree but with this kind of subject matter the conversation will evolve into other related conversation. Before long, the topic will sway into what would be the best method in curing an overwhelming hairy arse. It will sway back and forth a bit like tennis would be a nice comparison though I feel I could have made a better comparison if it wasn't for the fact that my stupidity restricts that. :)

Now its portugal
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/europe/2011/04/201146184725351648.html
http://www.euractiv.com/en/euro-finance/eastern-countries-resisting-high-bailout-burdens-news-503299
i wonder if this is only the beginning of more bail out countries. greece, ireland and now portugal. Maybe its time for countries with high capita to leave the eu before they are needed to pay other countries mess?
So tell me again why the US got involved with this thread?

Oh come on. The EU is just a US wannabe, run by lefties on crack.

In all fairness the original idea was good back when it was the EC and the main principle was free trade and so forth, and even some of the ideas of unifying some standards etc across EU. However the desire to transfer all power to Belgium in recent years is idiotic. The main strength of the EU is as a unified trade platform, not some weird attempt at a government for all countries within it.

Top Bottom