An update about mobile ?

Weppa333

Would it be possible to have an update about what the plans are concerning mobile browsing in 1.2 ?
Or is it too soon ? Or maybe it's difficult to speak freely about that while beeing observed by other forums devs ? I can accept that answer if that's the case...

Just to know where you're heading...
Mobile skin ?
"Universal" but unique skin ?
This alone would be an important information.

Also picture uploading (depends on editor choice of course) etc.

PS
I know, more waiting is probably required :)

Not much to report at this time really. I would anticipate just going responsive at this point as that provides more options these days. We did have thoughts about how to do an integrated mobile "skin" (though not how you think). Maybe we'll still provide an option for that depending on how things go.

Well it's something all webmasters are thinking of... There will soon be more Mobile users than desktop users. And what they need is unclear to say the least. I myself am a mobile user and I'm not sure yet if I prefer a "real mobile site" (different) or responsive, or sometime just the plain old "regular" site. It all depends.

I tend to agree with you, nowadays, a "specific mobile" skin, something very very light, is probably more evil than good. First of all in case of updates, it's twice the work. Even when changing colors or tuning your skin, again, twice the work.

Smartphones are powerful enough to browse the regular site, and only a few tweaks are needed, mostly about screen width to avoid too much zooming on small fonts, getting rid of avatars, basically simplifying everything.

For me some little tweaks would make a difference
- easily upload photos (the current editor can roughly do it, altough it bugs on iPhone, but let's say it 80% works)
- change editor when browsing mobile, and have a little signature "posted form a mobile".
- CSS elements marked "not for mobile" (we could call this "reponsive" but it's more removing extraneous stuff)

I guess everyone else has an opinion.

Well again I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just voicing my opinion. :)
I believe it raises awareness about the fact mobile users are on your forum, makes people think "I should maybe start surfing on Weppa's forum from my mobile too like this other dude does"...

It's marketing for the mobile version basically. If it's worth it of course :) :)

Also, it's an "excuse" for beeing very short in your answer. If you're typing an answer from a mobile (phone) it's obvious it's gonna be a one liner. The auto-footer "forgives" that.

I have never understood the point of that.
What purpose does it serve?

I posted this from my tablet but you wouldn't know and why would you want to?
The free advertisement tag-line "Sent from my iPhone" was created by Apple. Windows Mobile, Blackberry, and Palm OS devices never did that.

I agree mobile support is very important, about 30 percent of visits to my site is from mobile phones, and this value just keeps getting up.

I hope for some awesome mobile support in xenforo soon, but I would rather wait for something that delivers a full and user friendly experience, than something half baked.

Also I just read a survey that most people prefer an app instead of a mobile version, but that could be because most existing mobile versions of websites are just terrible.

Until we have something build into xenforo, I can recommend Arty's responsive add on. And there is also the branded tapa talk, if you want a full app.

Posted from my mobile :D

Not much to report at this time really. I would anticipate just going responsive at this point as that provides more options these days. We did have thoughts about how to do an integrated mobile "skin" (though not how you think). Maybe we'll still provide an option for that depending on how things go.
Hi Mike,
I use Russ' Mobile style as well as Arty's Responsive addon and I have to say the responsive addon saves me so much time since I only have one main style to maintain while the look is mostly similar on all device.
Responsive is the way to go. We don't need to worry about templates on 2 separate skins.

I'm in dire need of a mobile solution to my forum. Where can I find Arty's responsive add on? Can someone post the name or a link?

Well again I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just voicing my opinion. :)
I believe it raises awareness about the fact mobile users are on your forum, makes people think "I should maybe start surfing on Weppa's forum from my mobile too like this other dude does"...

It's marketing for the mobile version basically. If it's worth it of course :) :)

Also, it's an "excuse" for beeing very short in your answer. If you're typing an answer from a mobile (phone) it's obvious it's gonna be a one liner. The auto-footer "forgives" that.
For the "mobile information", you can use this addon. The purpose? Avoiding to write each time "Hey sorry I'm posted from my mobile so my answer is going to be short... etc etc." It's simply boring. And for users who don't like to type on mobile devices (which is my case), you can modify your style of writing with shorter sentences and the mobile information help your readers to understand this change.

Simple Analytics, Insight, Troubleshooting, Etc, Etc...

Oh, and another vote for a responsive/bootstrap framework.

I feel like that was a marketing scheme. Back when BlackBerry was the cool thing, they added a default signature that said "Sent from my BlackBerry", that enticed other people to learn what a BlackBerry was

Tradition carried through and iPhone also does Sent from my iPhone

So, for tablets, it would be bragging rights (posted from my iPad4 == hey, look, I have an iPad)

Top Bottom