An update about mobile ?

Doesn't Google say NOT to do that? I've read in multiple places you shouldn't manipulate the code like that...though that could have changed in the last few months since I was looking about 5 months ago.
No, terms say you can't do this:
All those width/height combinations are standard options.

Edited code in previous post. It appears you do need to change create several ad formats in adsense and change ad_slot variable for each ad.
http://www.labnol.org/internet/responsive-google-ads-approved/27872/

Until they approved it recently it was an at your own risk method as they hadn't said whether it would get you banned or not. In the past any modification (including conditionals) could get your account disabled.

http://www.labnol.org/internet/responsive-google-ads-approved/27872/

Until they approved it recently it was an at your own risk method as they hadn't said whether it would get you banned or not. In the past any modification (including conditionals) could get your account disabled.
"Thus you won’t violate any of the AdSense program policies for using responsive ads on your website. The JavaScript snippet isn’t modifying the AdSense code but is simply requesting a different ad unit based on the viewport width of the current visitor’s screen."

That's considered responsive? Interesting.

It sort of is. The difference is layout isn't changed when you change browser window width. Its not a problem in 99% of visits because people rarely resize browser.

"Thus you won’t violate any of the AdSense program policies for using responsive ads on your website. The JavaScript snippet isn’t modifying the AdSense code but is simply requesting a different ad unit based on the viewport width of the current visitor’s screen."

That's considered responsive? Interesting.
It's the only method available for a fixed width ad.

Reactions: DRE
I don't mind the responsive idea but I found a lot of my user like the freedom of going between style options. I've got about 50 active users on my android app most of my requests about mobile is to have the option to 'turn it off'... Some users are using tablets or larger phone/faster phones that can handle the forums very well. They don't care much about the who resizing issues since they use the landscape method and their phone browser auto resizes the forum. If XF were to release mobile support I'd appreciate the ability to 'switch it off'. What I mean is some sites have a link in the footer that says "desktop version/Mobile version" it'd be nice to have this option per theme.

I feel like that was a marketing scheme. Back when BlackBerry was the cool thing, they added a default signature that said "Sent from my BlackBerry", that enticed other people to learn what a BlackBerry was

Tradition carried through and iPhone also does Sent from my iPhone

So, for tablets, it would be bragging rights (posted from my iPad4 == hey, look, I have an iPad)
lol

I remember seeing the "Sent from my BlackBerry" sigs when I was in the military. I used to wonder what a BlackBerry was because of it. So that's where Apple got it from. Interesting. I like knowing what people are posting from so that if they have issues, I don't have to ask I can guess from their posts using Claerhout's Mobile Tracer addon.

I hate Tapatalk and I don't want my members to invest in it. Does Xenforo plan on making one for the mobile to make it easier to load?

You can add a code to prevent add-on from even working on the mobile version if possible. I know vBulletin had the option to disable all add-on with a code and I hope you can do it as well.

A mobile skin or version of XenForo would be really useful. I find the alerts drop down quite buggy on mobile devices. But overall it would make it much better. As long as it isn't like vBulliten's, thats terrible

tapatalk is plain sysadmin robbery.
Only if you use the app store version and depend on ads for your revenue. If you (like me) support your forum 100% from your own pocket - it's not.
If ad revenue is dependent on your forum running - then it sounds like the branded app would be more in line with what you want. If I remember correctly, it can show ads and the forum plugin can be set to only allow connections from your branded app.

tapatalk is plain sysadmin robbery.
You can disable or enable it on a usergroup basis, and if you use it smartly you should be able to recoup the cost of paying for it.

That said I'm looking at getting a custom webapp done so we have more control over functionality and integration with the actual site.

Top Bottom