An update about mobile ?

Exactly.

Completely pointless and just a form of spam.

Posted using my fat sausage fingers from my home-made PC
You're really using the same style on a mobile device than on a device with a real, good old fashion keyboard?
The brand doesn't care that much, that's true, but the phone/tablet market indication is useful.

Well i for one find the extra details very useful. I wouldn't say core material but i really appreciate Cedric's plugin.

I would anticipate just going responsive at this point as that provides more options these days.
I currently in the middle of implementing Wordpress as my frontpage and I decided to use a responsive "blank" to build the WP theme on. Now after finally having worked with a responsive style I'd have to say that it's the future.

I'll wait until 1.2 is out before looking into making the forum responsive.

Responsive would be fantastic. My Wordpress site is responsive and I won't go back. Works great on desktop, tablet and phones for posting and reading. If I could implement XF responsively too, it'd be perfect.

Responsive is great, but it does give problems with ads, since they are not responsive.
Just hide the ad when you are in mobile, or substitute it with another one ... provided you are using the standard ad locations, that should be an easy enterprise

Rigel, if you hide ads via css they are still being loaded which will give false impressions - if you use adsense this behaviour might get you banned.

I dont think its possible to substitute the ads with another one since the responsive change is happening client side. You might be able to do some javascrip though, but i am not sure if this can be done without changing the adsense script which is not allowed

It is possible. AdSense can be configured before you load script, check window width to set ad format. It is very easy and is allowed.

What isn't allowed is messing with script itself. Dynamically changing configuration before loading script is allowed.

The problem I see with responsive designs is the ability to use ads. Right now, my mobile skin is my big maker. Mobile ads pay much better than regular site ads. Going responsive is cool, but ad technology is not caught up quite yet sadly. :/

It is fine if you know how to do basic JS coding. Ad technology doesn't need to catch up, all you need to do is configure those ads correctly.

Example:
Code:
<script type="text/javascript"><!--
google_ad_client = "ca-pub-*****";

var width = $(window).width();
if (width > 740)
{
    google_ad_width = 728;
    google_ad_height = 90;
    google_ad_slot = "*****";
}
else if (width > 480)
{
    google_ad_width = 468;
    google_ad_height = 60;
}
else
{
    google_ad_width = 263;
    google_ad_height = 60;
}
//-->
</script>
<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
</script>
You need to create several ad formats in your adsense. Copy width, height and slot variables from code.

If you want to show ad only under certain conditions, like if width > 1000 (for sidebar. no point in showing it when sidebar is hidden), use something like this
Code:
if ($(window).width() > 1000)
{
    google_ad_width = 728;
    google_ad_height = 90;
    document.write('<script type="text/javascript" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"></script>');
}
//-->
</script>

The problem I see with responsive designs is the ability to use ads. Right now, my mobile skin is my big maker. Mobile ads pay much better than regular site ads. Going responsive is cool, but ad technology is not caught up quite yet sadly. :/
what mobile xf skin do you use?

The posted by & Sent me, mobile message in posts and emails, might be seen as pointless but at same time it does have a point behide it, first off it lets users know you have posted from a mobile (this means your likely on the move and can not or are not likely to reply in a speedy manner)

But still the rest of the pointlessness about it still makes it pointless :p

The posted by & Sent me, mobile message in posts and emails, might be seen as pointless but at same time it does have a point behide it, first off it lets users know you have posted from a mobile (this means your likely on the move and can not or are not likely to reply in a speedy manner)

But still the rest of the pointlessness about it still makes it pointless :p

That is probably the first practical reason it could be useful as I've seen a few times staff member and some others (including myself) couldn't provide full support since we were on mobile.

XF totally needs a fully fledged mobile skin since it's not just a site but a Web App. Responsive is not a way to go, lost of elements should be rethought and redesigned to suit mobile needs (they are significantly different from the ones that PC users have).

It is fine if you know how to do basic JS coding. Ad technology doesn't need to catch up, all you need to do is configure those ads correctly.

Example:
Code:

var width = $(window).width();
if (width > 740)
{
    google_ad_width = 728;
    google_ad_height = 90;
}
else if (width > 480)
{
    google_ad_width = 468;
    google_ad_height = 60;
}
else
{
    google_ad_width = 263;
    google_ad_height = 60;
}
//-->
</script>
<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
</script>
If you have several channels for different ad sizes, you can also change google_ad_slot variable in those conditional statements.

If you want to show ad only under certain conditions, like if width > 1000 (for sidebar. no point in showing it when sidebar is hidden), use something like this
Code:
if ($(window).width() > 1000)
{
    google_ad_width = 728;
    google_ad_height = 90;
    document.write('<script type="text/javascript" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"></script>');
}
//-->
</script>
Doesn't Google say NOT to do that? I've read in multiple places you shouldn't manipulate the code like that...though that could have changed in the last few months since I was looking about 5 months ago.

No, terms say you can't do this:
Alter the height or width of an ad unit from the standard options
All those width/height combinations are standard options.

Edited code in previous post. It appears you do need to change create several ad formats in adsense and change ad_slot variable for each ad.

Top Bottom