An idea for the XF skin

I was thinking the same thing. Default skin does not look bad but it is not practical. It is really hard to differentiate the posts. Looks like a mess to me. There are different ways of achieving this. One is using different shades of background color for each post. Like phpbb does.

Capture.webp

But this is not the only way. I actually have this problem with skins. I find a great looking skin, but usability is zero. Posts look like a mess. For example, I love the Whisper skin, it looks very nice to me, but it has the same problem.

I don't like the DFX skin so much however the thread page looks really good, it is easier for the eyes to separate the posts. But DFX skin does not achieve this by using different shades of backgrounds for posts. There is a grey background behind the posts that make it easy to differentiate between the posts. But in xenforo default skin, there is only a thin light blue line for this which is not enough.

Captursse.webp

When you just look at a skin, it may look good but for the default skin especially, usability must be the priority.

For me the avatar has been a pretty good indicator of separate posts.

With long posts you can't see the avatar. I'm not saying it is impossible to notice that posts are seperated. It's just not easy for users to automatically perceive. There is a reason why phpbb uses different colors. It is not only about how it looks, it is about how users perceive things without paying too much attention.

Ugh here we go again with the last minute screw ups. No it's fine, please leave it, thank you.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I really feel this style was already perfect the first time it was released. No 'solution' needed. There's a style system for customization.

With long posts you can't see the avatar. I'm not saying it is impossible to notice that posts are seperated. It's just not easy for users to automatically perceive. There is a reason why phpbb uses different colors. It is not only about how it looks, it is about how users perceive things without paying too much attention.

I've seen long posts before, but again for me I notice when I come across an avatar again that a new post has started. In addition to that, even without signatures, the username, timestamp, and controls on the right at the bottom also catches my eye when I'm at the end of the post.

If posts are so huge that it completely makes it impossible to see the different between one post and the other, please show me one.
confused.png

If posts are so huge that it completely makes it impossible to see the different between one post and the other, please show me one. :confused:

I'm not saying it is impossible to notice that posts are seperated. It's just not easy for users to automatically perceive. There is a reason why phpbb uses different colors. It is not only about how it looks, it is about how users perceive things without paying too much attention.

As I said before, It is never impossible. I just think it is more comfortable for the user.

i always forget about the style property system.
curious why you entered that in misc rather than 'border: all'. all but the shadow can be entered in there, unless i am overlooking an advantage?

The Message Container is for each individual message so I'm not sure how you ended up with that.

Did you edit the correct section?

Did you perhaps do Message List by mistake?

Top Bottom