1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An idea for the XF skin

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by random, Feb 21, 2011.

1. random

random Active Member

In the current default skin it's hard to differentiate between one post and another one. My suggestion is to make it easier to know when you pass from one post to another one while reading a thread.

Thank you,
    James Jimmy, Luke F and estranged like this.
  2. Jesepi

Jesepi Well-Known Member

Something like alternating shades of background color?
  3. estranged

estranged Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. Default skin does not look bad but it is not practical. It is really hard to differentiate the posts. Looks like a mess to me. There are different ways of achieving this. One is using different shades of background color for each post. Like phpbb does.

But this is not the only way. I actually have this problem with skins. I find a great looking skin, but usability is zero. Posts look like a mess. For example, I love the Whisper skin, it looks very nice to me, but it has the same problem.

I don't like the DFX skin so much however the thread page looks really good, it is easier for the eyes to separate the posts. But DFX skin does not achieve this by using different shades of backgrounds for posts. There is a grey background behind the posts that make it easy to differentiate between the posts. But in xenforo default skin, there is only a thin light blue line for this which is not enough.

When you just look at a skin, it may look good but for the default skin especially, usability must be the priority.
    Lu Kas likes this.
  4. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

For me the avatar has been a pretty good indicator of separate posts.
    Jay, kyrgyz, Kim and 2 others like this.
  5. Miko

Miko Well-Known Member

I like it simple, but you could easily add some css to make it more obvious....

Russ likes this.
  6. dieketzer

dieketzer Well-Known Member

tell me what to add to extra.css.
    i am all ears.
  7. estranged

With long posts you can't see the avatar. I'm not saying it is impossible to notice that posts are seperated. It's just not easy for users to automatically perceive. There is a reason why phpbb uses different colors. It is not only about how it looks, it is about how users perceive things without paying too much attention.
    Markos likes this.
  8. Markos

Markos Well-Known Member

I agree with estranged (remember, K.I.S.S.!). I'd like the attach of Miko, great and simple solution!
  9. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

Ugh here we go again with the last minute screw ups. No it's fine, please leave it, thank you.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I really feel this style was already perfect the first time it was released. No 'solution' needed. There's a style system for customization.
    Kim and krstep like this.
  10. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

I've seen long posts before, but again for me I notice when I come across an avatar again that a new post has started. In addition to that, even without signatures, the username, timestamp, and controls on the right at the bottom also catches my eye when I'm at the end of the post.

If posts are so huge that it completely makes it impossible to see the different between one post and the other, please show me one. [​IMG]
  11. estranged

As I said before, It is never impossible. I just think it is more comfortable for the user.
  12. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

No need for EXTRA.css, you can do it all in Style Properties.

maszd, Amaury, ProCom and 15 others like this.
  13. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Did that straight away when I was doing the skin for my remix forumz skin months ago, hehe.
  14. dieketzer

dieketzer Well-Known Member

i always forget about the style property system.
    curious why you entered that in misc rather than 'border: all'. all but the shadow can be entered in there, unless i am overlooking an advantage?
  15. Brogan

No reason, it was just quicker to enter it there as I copied it from some other css I use.
    dieketzer likes this.
  16. Ranger375

Ranger375 Well-Known Member

Do I have to edit another section other than message layout? I ended up with just everything but the posts weren't split.

17. Brogan

The Message Container is for each individual message so I'm not sure how you ended up with that.

Did you edit the correct section?

Did you perhaps do Message List by mistake?
  18. kilcher

kilcher Active Member

What style are you using? I'm using Flexile and it didn't make any difference.
  19. Brogan

Flexile is a law unto itself when it comes to stuff like this.

You're better off asking in the thread for it, I don't have it installed so I can't help I'm afraid.
  20. Ranger375

Ranger375 Well-Known Member

Doh, that is exactly what I did [​IMG] Thanks!

Just the standard one :D