An honest opinion - PLEASE

Kev@ITK

Hi guys

New to the forum obviously...

In a nutshell, i'm a 30% partner in a new venture, responsible for all things 'admin' which at this point will include everything website/forum based. I would like to add at this point I am an accountant by trade so spredsheets are the depth of my computer related talents!!

Our site will begin as a forum and in time turn into a full site, with the forum being just a part of it. By that time we'd hope to take on someone more advanced in the field but for now it's just me. We're a revenue based forum so will be looking for site sponsors as well as wanting to incorporate an online shop 6-12 months down the line (either our own stock or as a reseller).

On the face of it, I would like:

• Strong Facebook/Twitter links (although I would ideally like the forum to use the 'flat' format instead of the 'threaded' approach social networking seems to be taking these days as I find it very hard to follow content this way.
  • Blogging
  • Live chat (not essential as wonder if this takes away from forum content?)
  • Full website incorporating an online shop (would want the forum users to be able to purchase direct from the shop so everything would need to be fully integrated)
  • User friendly (both for the end user and for me as the responsible admin!)
I'm sure there is more but that's all I can remember for now. Oh yeah, there's likely to be plenty of pics/vids flying about so a slick way to organise those would be great too.

I was originally all set to buy vBull but version 5 BETA has really put me off and the more I reseach vB in general now the more i'm put off. I'm now edging towards either XF or IPB.

I fully appreciate this is a XF forum but would also appreciate your valued HONEST opinions based on my requirements? I'm not asking you to slag one option or the other, just help me spend our pennies wisely!

Many thanks in advance...

Kev

Just thought i'd check in over here to see if there were any updates - sadly not by the looks of things.

Everything's going ok over at IPB, getting to grips with it slowly but surely. It's a great bit of kit and more admin friendly than I expected, still not quite as pretty as this place though ;)

Just thought i'd check in over here to see if there were any updates - sadly not by the looks of things.

Everything's going ok over at IPB, getting to grips with it slowly but surely. It's a great bit of kit and more admin friendly than I expected, still not quite as pretty as this place though ;)

Nothing has changed here whatsoever. If your happy at IPB, your running a business, then I would strongly advise that you remain since IPB I assume are developing, more importantly "communicating" on a level you know where you stand. Obviously, if development did pick up here, and the product receives updates for the future I'd obviously suggest you switch to xenforo but unfortunately that is not the case and we're all at a standstill, stagnation period. :)

Top Bottom