AMPXF - AMP for Xenforo 2

AMPXF - AMP for Xenforo 2 [Paid] 1.4.9

No permission to buy (€50.00)
All-in data on Clicks, Impressions, CTR, Position:

1611664455943.png
@tonmo I drew some lines on top of that same image for clarity:
1611664455943-lines.png
The grey line shows that the highest number of search engine clicks before install, is equal to the lowest number of clicks after install :) 👍

I also roughly drew 2 more lines for the "rough averages" before(red) and after(green).

Could you calculate from your real data, what the rough %-change is between red and green is? (since we don't know the scale)

And of course it is still a bit early to tell anything from it.. Will be interesting to see if the stats hold up next week, and month :)

Wondering if this has to do with pages that have "thin content" or similar.. but the 2% number really sounds really small..

I agree, it is! I put a "no index" on my "introduce yourself" forum after our earlier correspondence, but I've just "undone" that because GSC interprets no-index as an "error" and I'm seeing a drop in performance when new errors come in... again it's hard to make accurate observations with so many moving pieces. All-in-all, the majority of the content on my forum is not thin at all.

Could you estimate how much higher the average daily clicks is after installing compared to before? It is slightly hard to tell the scale from that image :D

I'll take a deeper look this weekend and will report back.

The grey line shows that the highest number of search engine clicks before install, is equal to the lowest number of clicks after install :) 👍

Thanks for doing that! Unfortunately the latest data from 2 days back shows a harsh dip in everything except impressions. I presume the click data is directly affected by position. i.e., if we are adding more content to Google, but it's on 5th / 6th page+ in terms of position, the clicks and CTR will suffer. Then again, only a very small percentage of amp pages have been added....

You'll also recall in our other conversation that I had some legacy strangeness with my sitemap, which I've corrected.
1611748413805.webp
Could you calculate from your real data, what the rough %-change is between red and green is? (since we don't know the scale)

And of course it is still a bit early to tell anything from it.. Will be interesting to see if the stats hold up next week, and month :)

I hope to tend to this this weekend!

Unfortunately the latest data from 2 days back shows a harsh dip in everything except impressions.
Well the downdrops are always a bit scary :D
Luckily when placing a straight line at the level of the far-right dip, it is still almost as high as the previous highs, so if it bounces back up/becomes the "new low" we're good :)

presume the click data is directly affected by position
Yeah they usually go mostly hand-in-hand, which makes sense :)

Last edited:
mazzly updated AMPXF - AMP for Xenforo 2 with a new update entry:

1.2.5 with improvements, bug fixes, and better page criteria

• Automatically strip out inlined !important styles that some addons seem to add.
    • It is really weird they add that as inline rules should anyway take precedence...
  • Fix vote type threads to render the vote again, broken since a change in 1.2.0.
    • Big thanks to @rdn that raised this issue :) 👍
  • Custom page criteria for AMP / non-AMP.
    • Much easier than having to set some template magics..

Read the rest of this update entry...

@Andro @Mr Lucky I would recommend that you guys change the "Page criteria" for those notices you had so that they instead use the new AMP-specific filters. (The template way we did earlier is not good since AMP will be different templates going forward)

The page criteria is:
1611764877354.webp

Hi @mazzly, I am reaching out on the behalf of a mutual customer of ours and hope you can give me a little advice here. A recent feature of my plugin XFtoWP requires a template edit in thread_view to manipulate the native XenForo canonical URL tag and we are finding the AMP version of the same thread is not using the template edit. Maybe it's a theme issue, but my guess right now is AMPXF loads a different template than thread_view?

Here's the instructions I came up with to make the template edit and I am wondering if you know of a better way that is more universal so the canonical URL tag change will work on both the regular and AMP templates, or do we need to make a similar template edit somewhere in AMPXF?

Thanks for any guidance you can give us! While I'm here I also wanted to congratulate you on your success with this addon, it clearly serves a need in this community and it looks like you went the extra mile to perfect the functionality. Excited to continue following your progress!

@mazzly

Getting some errors regarding Showcase

Code:
Server error log
ErrorException: Template error: [E_USER_WARNING] Template public:amp_xa_sc_thread_view_type_item is unknown src/XF/Template/Templater.php:664
Generated by: Unknown account 28.01.2021. at 03:51
Stack trace
#0 [internal function]: XF\Template\Templater->handleTemplateError(512, '[E_USER_WARNING...', '/home/nginx/dom...', 664, Array)
#1 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(664): trigger_error('Template public...', 512)
#2 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(1593): XF\Template\Templater->getTemplateData('public', 'amp_xa_sc_threa...')
#3 src/addons/MaZ/AMP/XF/Template/Templater.php(76): XF\Template\Templater->renderTemplate('amp_xa_sc_threa...', Array, true, NULL)
#4 src/XF/Template/Template.php(24): MaZ\AMP\XF\Template\Templater->renderTemplate('public:amp_xa_s...', Array)
#5 src/XF/Mvc/Renderer/Html.php(48): XF\Template\Template->render()
#6 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(458): XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html->renderView('XenAddons\\Showc...', 'public:amp_xa_s...', Array)
#7 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(440): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderView(Object(XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View))
#8 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(400): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderReply(Object(XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View))
#9 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(58): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->render(Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View), 'html')
#10 src/XF/App.php(2300): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#11 src/XF.php(488): XF\App->run()
#12 index.php(20): XF::runApp('XF\\Pub\\App')
#13 {main}
Request state
array(4) {
  ["url"] => string(54) "/threads/stozasti-smrcak-morchella-conica.28986/?amp=1"
  ["referrer"] => bool(false)
  ["_GET"] => array(2) {
    ["/threads/stozasti-smrcak-morchella-conica_28986/"] => string(0) ""
    ["amp"] => string(1) "1"
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

This should say:

Correct? For a minute I thought this was finally a way to support a Page node... ;)
Corrected :)

Small update on my side: 303,000 pages crawled by ampbot, only 876 pages to fix :ROFLMAO:
Time to get to work then :D

@mazzly

Getting some errors regarding Showcase

Code:
Server error log
ErrorException: Template error: [E_USER_WARNING] Template public:amp_xa_sc_thread_view_type_item is unknown src/XF/Template/Templater.php:664
Generated by: Unknown account 28.01.2021. at 03:51
Stack trace
#0 [internal function]: XF\Template\Templater->handleTemplateError(512, '[E_USER_WARNING...', '/home/nginx/dom...', 664, Array)
#1 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(664): trigger_error('Template public...', 512)
#2 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(1593): XF\Template\Templater->getTemplateData('public', 'amp_xa_sc_threa...')
#3 src/addons/MaZ/AMP/XF/Template/Templater.php(76): XF\Template\Templater->renderTemplate('amp_xa_sc_threa...', Array, true, NULL)
#4 src/XF/Template/Template.php(24): MaZ\AMP\XF\Template\Templater->renderTemplate('public:amp_xa_s...', Array)
#5 src/XF/Mvc/Renderer/Html.php(48): XF\Template\Template->render()
#6 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(458): XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html->renderView('XenAddons\\Showc...', 'public:amp_xa_s...', Array)
#7 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(440): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderView(Object(XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View))
#8 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(400): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderReply(Object(XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View))
#9 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(58): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->render(Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View), 'html')
#10 src/XF/App.php(2300): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#11 src/XF.php(488): XF\App->run()
#12 index.php(20): XF::runApp('XF\\Pub\\App')
#13 {main}
Request state
array(4) {
  ["url"] => string(54) "/threads/stozasti-smrcak-morchella-conica.28986/?amp=1"
  ["referrer"] => bool(false)
  ["_GET"] => array(2) {
    ["/threads/stozasti-smrcak-morchella-conica_28986/"] => string(0) ""
    ["amp"] => string(1) "1"
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}
I will have this fixed in 1.2.6 that should come out within ~12h. If you don't want to wait you can downgrade to 1.2.4 in the meanwhile :)

@mazzly

- will this work well with UIX Pro and theme from themehouse.com? or will there need to be adjustments.

Another Question: I am just starting out with my forum
  • Would this still be a good idea to purchase?
  • because indexing will be fresh and not having to deal with indexing old pages and needing tons of fixes?
or
- will it not be worth it or benefit me starting out, until I get some users and content on my site then purchase this?

Thanks for your time,
just seeing what are the best possibilities /options when starting from scratch

Spiro

Dear @mazzly,

As we talked about my site recently, i have some comments:

- After removing the <head> AdSense code on the AMP_CONTAINER, the manual ads banners are not showing anymore.

Do you know where i can put this? Is mandatory for Google apparently:

<script async custom-element="amp-ad" src="https://cdn.ampproject.org/v0/amp-ad-0.1.js"></script>

- Secondly, I'm having a situation, i don't know if this is expected, but, most of my AMS posts i share in the Twitter and Instagram. And if you access the Twitter posts, i get the AMP/AMS page. There is any way to turn off the AMP when the inbound link comes from the Twitter?

This situation is not the happening with Instagram, and that's is good because, let's say the design of each website have some kind of the own marketing.

Thanks for everything again man!

Hi @mazzly, I am reaching out on the behalf of a mutual customer of ours and hope you can give me a little advice here. A recent feature of my plugin XFtoWP requires a template edit in thread_view to manipulate the native XenForo canonical URL tag and we are finding the AMP version of the same thread is not using the template edit. Maybe it's a theme issue, but my guess right now is AMPXF loads a different template than thread_view?

Here's the instructions I came up with to make the template edit and I am wondering if you know of a better way that is more universal so the canonical URL tag change will work on both the regular and AMP templates, or do we need to make a similar template edit somewhere in AMPXF?

Thanks for any guidance you can give us! While I'm here I also wanted to congratulate you on your success with this addon, it clearly serves a need in this community and it looks like you went the extra mile to perfect the functionality. Excited to continue following your progress!
Hi. Yes you are correct the AMP pages are using a special template amp_thread_view which extends another one called AMP_CONTAINER

I would advice against changing the canonical URL on the AMP page though, as google can be very picky that the AMP page matches what is on the canonical page..

- will this work well with UIX Pro and theme from themehouse.com? or will there need to be adjustments.
13 of our customers are running UIX, and 3 are running UIX Pro, so I would say they work fine.
The only thing that might be needed with ThemeHouse themes is to enable the font-fix that is under advanced settings..

Another Question: I am just starting out with my forum
  • Would this still be a good idea to purchase?
  • because indexing will be fresh and not having to deal with indexing old pages and needing tons of fixes?
or
- will it not be worth it or benefit me starting out, until I get some users and content on my site then purchase this?
That is a good question, and would be hard to measure, since even a 500% growth on 0 visitors is still 0 visitors :D

If the forum is very niche'd and doesn't have big competitors in the same niche, it might help you get some first page ranking, but this all depends so much on various factors.

All things considered, for a new forum without any content, it probably isn't the biggest prio to have it installed, but once you have a couple 100 threads it might start making sense.

Dear @mazzly,

As we talked about my site recently, i have some comments:

- After removing the <head> AdSense code on the AMP_CONTAINER, the manual ads banners are not showing anymore.

Do you know where i can put this? Is mandatory for Google apparently:

<script async custom-element="amp-ad" src="https://cdn.ampproject.org/v0/amp-ad-0.1.js"></script>

- Secondly, I'm having a situation, i don't know if this is expected, but, most of my AMS posts i share in the Twitter and Instagram. And if you access the Twitter posts, i get the AMP/AMS page. There is any way to turn off the AMP when the inbound link comes from the Twitter?

This situation is not the happening with Instagram, and that's is good because, let's say the design of each website have some kind of the own marketing.

Thanks for everything again man!
My suggestion is: Revert the AMP_CONTAINER template to the original..
The AMPXF addons adds what is needed (in early version some things were missing, but now should be fine for 95+% of cases)

As for the Twitter + AMS/AMP, @arn raised this as an idea for an advanced option to automagically redirect the visitors landing on the AMP pages (i.e. when not on Google/Bing AMP caches) to the real site instead. I think it might be a good addition, but I'm still letting it mull in my head:
  • How to handle so that you can still debug own pages / only redirect twitter visitors (maybe some referer header)
  • Can this negatively affect the UX / Ranking or other things (I doubt it, but never know)
  • This is not the immediate thing that needs to be added to AMPXF :) (@Bob's addons, along with bugfixes are)
Another option might maybe be to hide the AMP links from twitter bots?

My suggestion is: Revert the AMP_CONTAINER template to the original..
The AMPXF addons adds what is needed (in early version some things were missing, but now should be fine for 95+% of cases)

As for the Twitter + AMS/AMP, @arn raised this as an idea for an advanced option to automagically redirect the visitors landing on the AMP pages (i.e. when not on Google/Bing AMP caches) to the real site instead. I think it might be a good addition, but I'm still letting it mull in my head:
  • How to handle so that you can still debug own pages / only redirect twitter visitors (maybe some referer header)
  • Can this negatively affect the UX / Ranking or other things (I doubt it, but never know)
  • This is not the immediate thing that needs to be added to AMPXF :) (@Bob's addons, along with bugfixes are)
Another option might maybe be to hide the AMP links from twitter bots?

Thanks for the quick heads up mazzly.

I already reverted to the original template, and the Ads now are missing, but properly added on the Advertising sys on XF.

You raised some good points in terms of development, and i don't know why the site handles differently Instagram users and Twitter users.

As far as i can see, the Twitter handler itself the link, adding the "?amp=1" to the final of the link of the twitter link system. An example of a recent post shared by me:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

https://t.co/DhU0wo3gyZ?amp=1

The suggestion from @arn is good and yeah, there is a risk to affect negatively the SEOs aspects but this is a option that every administrator have to deal with.

But as i said, the AMP on AMS pages are doing very great. Just some minor bugs. Things are going great with this add-on. Thank you very much, like always!

Top Bottom