AMP or No AMP?

We do not know yet but Google have bad habbit of killing and abandon things. Google are far from us bot not far from their competitors.
Man IDK. Google's ai tools and data are superior to Apple, Microsoft and even Amazon by large large margins. Facebook and their social data is another story. I tend to think that with respect to raw data it's a landslide win for Google in the data and intelligence space which really is all that matters.

I'm not sure of the appeal of AMP for forums. Why feed watered down content to users? The AMP framework limits so much of what you can do. Forget most addons. I haven't read anything to suggest AMP has any effect on SEO. Do AMPed forum pages out rank their non AMPed pages? Is user experience improved over nonAMP? I doubt it. It was built for breaking news stories, not old forum content.

I'm not sure of the appeal of AMP for forums. Why feed watered down content to users? The AMP framework limits so much of what you can do. Forget most addons. I haven't read anything to suggest AMP has any effect on SEO. Do AMPed forum pages out rank their non AMPed pages? Is user experience improved over nonAMP? I doubt it. It was built for breaking news stories, not old forum content.
I think it does affect seo ranking.

Whenever i do a google search, it is always amp results on top.

Not in the organic search results.

I'm finding a lot of AMP pages in the organic search results - but only if I use a mobile device.
That's exactly what AMP was made for.

I'd really appreciate if XF 2 would support AMP.
It's simply a good technology and drives a lot of additional mobile traffic to websites - and that's the reason, why we're running websites.

I'm finding a lot of AMP pages in the organic search results - but only if I use a mobile device.
Still not a page rank factor

I enabled AMP on a wordpress blog with some 10k posts and I didn't see any seo effect or increase in traffic, even 3 years in now. So I don't know what you all expect to happen.

Still not a page rank factor

... better read the full article: "overall rankings did improve over time (...)".

It's a well-known fact, that AMP doesn't affect all websites, but is able to push tons of additional traffic to a lot of sites and has many other indirect SEO advantages (e.g. improving user experience) as well. (see e.g. https://moz.com/blog/amp-digital-marketing-2018)

For sure, it's not cool, if it didn't improve your blog, but there are millions of pages out there that definitely could be pushed by AMP.

Last edited:
Oh, look who has enabled AMP on their werbsite. Hypocrite morons...

Yes, you are right - even theregister.co.uk meanwhile enabled AMP. (https://www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2017/05/19/open_source_insider_google_amp_bad_bad_bad/)

More than one year after my last posting in this thread, AMP is still relevant.
I don't like it, but it works.

So I absolutely don't get the point why XF 2 does neither support AMP nor there is any plugin/add-on to implement AMP for XF 2.

Forums need to evolve just like every other platform. I switched to XenForo because of modern features. It has mentions, emojis, mobile support, a decent UI, alerts, push notifications etc. The team should not hold back on AMP. AMP is another step in the right direction. PWA is what comes next.

I fully agree! I also switched from phpBB to Xenforo, because it was supporting 'state of the art features',
but things have changed the last years.

We need AMP - immediately - to drive additional traffic to our forums. As long as XF 2 doesn't support AMP, we'll not switch to XF 2 - and perhaps have to find another system that is supporting AMP. Switching away from Xenforo isn't that complicated and meanwhile I'm definitely willing to do that if Xenforo will continue ignoring the current state of the art techniques.

Forums need to evolve just like every other platform. I switched to XenForo because of modern features. It has mentions, emojis, mobile support, a decent UI, alerts, push notifications etc. The team should not hold back on AMP. AMP is another step in the right direction. PWA is what comes next.
Holy ****. I saw the future! Nice to see XenForo team adopting new tech as always! AMP please!

Last edited by a moderator:

No more AMP requirements for Top Stories​

You can find another interesting tidbit regarding the page experience update. Google will no longer require AMP for getting your news pages in the Top Stories section. Now, any well-built, Google News-validated site can aim for that top spot. Page experience will become a ranking factor for Top Stories, so your site better be good.
The writing has been on the while for some time now. AMP is headed for obsolescence.

The writing has been on the while for some time now. AMP is headed for obsolescence.
That only appears to solve our problem.
We need AMP because the MobileStyle of XF is very slow compared to the Desktopstyle.
As long as XF doesn't change this, AMP will still be needed to compensate for this because speed is still a big factor in ranking ...

Is the XF mobile style really significantly slower than desktop? Anywhere I can read more about it? Any idea why?

Mobile internet connections are significantly slower than typical desktop connections, regardless of the platform or type of site. And even for desktops, ethernet connections are faster than wireless connections.

It's silly to blame the software or platform for slower mobile load speeds. That doesn't mean it's pointless to try to optimize for mobile but just recognize that you are pretty much always going to get the best connection with a hard-wired ethernet connection to a cable ISP or similar.

It's silly to blame the software or platform for slower mobile load speeds.
Why if it's true?

As long as you don't use Google Ads, the difference is not a problem. For all operators who use Google Ads, on the other hand, there is a difference whether PageSpeedInsights shows red or orange for the speed or even green for the MobileStyle.

We have tried everything and more here to optimize the mobile style so that the value of Google is not RED. Unfortunately unsuccessful.

Well, in the beta test of @mazzly's AmpAddon, the values that Google shows are much improved.

Not only are the values for the speed of the Mobilestyle better since we started using the add-on, even if a few corrections are still required, the number of visitors (...) has also increased.

I don't know why you make such statements. Sure, Google doesn't care if you have Amp installed or not. AMP itself no longer has any advantages. The speed, however, that arises from the add-on for Mobilestyle from XF in connection with Google Ads still brings advantages.

See the graphic on the right, orange is the Google rating of the speed of our pages on desktops, red was the Google rating of the speed of our pages for mobile before AMP, green is now with AMP ...

Well minded, each with advertising.

1607704284572.png1607704864185.png

It doesn't matter how you see it yourself at home in your own test environment. It is important how the hand that feeds you sees it ... :)

Not to forget to mention that we are also optimized and ready for the Google 2021 update for Web Vitals. No work is needed from us or very little work at the very least.

The use of AMP does not contradict what I said above. When you use AMP, you strip out a lot of the look and feel that constitutes the branding of your forum and yes that will mean a page will load faster.

My point was that this does not indicate a problem with the responsive "mobile" version of Xenforo. It works exactly as it's supposed to or designed to work. It preserves most of the features and customizations and branding of your XF forum. AMP achieves its speed gains by throwing those away.

There's also a difference between the technology scores used to indicate load speed and the practical user experience of your forum members in accessing your pages. How fast do you really need to load your pages? And what does it mean if your score on mobile says 50%? or 60% or 30%?

It doesn't necessarily mean that the user experience is one of a painfully slow website. For most mobile devices, most even partially optimized XF forums will load fast enough that having your visitors abandon the site is not an issue.

The real question to me is how fast is fast enough? Or how slow is too slow?

Google has made it very clear that since their initial push starting a few years back most websites now load faster than they used to and that it is no longer the major problem it was when the Google push began. But no matter what you do comparable pages on your site are always going to load more slowly on mobile than on a decent desktop cable connection. That's simply the nature of the technology.

When 5G becomes more accessible, that will likely speed up mobile connections. And at some point we'll probably see 6G and 7G. But while that is happening, connect speeds for desktop cable connections are also going to be getting even faster too. I had a fast cable connection which served me well for the past few years, but I recently discovered that my ISP had a plan which quadrupled that speed and for less money than I was paying on the old plan. (Some of this is undoubtedly prompted by the increased interest ib and use of streaming services for movies, music, etc., not to mention the "internet of things".

The problem that mobile pages are slower than desktop pages at XF can be easily tested as follows:

Open in the ACP
/admin.php?styles/default-style.1/style-properties/group&group=page

Change the settings in "Maximum page width" from whatever, to 480px
Save the new value and start:
Enter the address of your homepage there...

Remember the values for mobile and desktop

Change the value in "Maximum page width" back to the old value and save again.
Save the value and start:
https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/ again.
Enter the address of your homepage there...

Conclusion:
So far, XF first renders too much to the settings of the value in "Maximum page width" and then has to render it back to the size of the mobile style.

Therefore mobile is slower than desktop ...
Better - and with the performance of XF - it would be a real hammer to first see whether you have to render, mobile or desktop, and only then start rendering. Then XF would be unbeatable here too: D

Top Bottom