AMP or No AMP?

joroom

So what do you guys think?

Should we switch thread pages to AMP? and lose maybe some features that makes the user's life easier

So what do you guys think?

Should we switch thread pages to AMP? and lose maybe some features that makes the user's life easier
For a marginal speed increase you give up a lot of scripts and features that took years to create.

Lets say that you decide that your ok with a site with basic features. Did you know that in the URL bar there will Google's domain? Do you know tht Google will cache that page and serve it to the user without you having any control after it happens. If you edit the page, perfom a moderation action or anything major... you will have to wait for Google to recrawl that page to update it.. and it will take awhile.
Also most people hate it when they land on a AMP page.

The SPEED speach that Google is serving is just a pretext for them to get webmasters into their system. AMP is just a cage.

I have implemented AMP for a wordpress site and after I understood all the implications I've removed it.
If you really need the speed use less addons and a better hosting.

Last edited:
What about SEO?

It does help intensively there. Isnt it worth it? Just for SEO?
It does not improve your SEO or Google will be sued for monopoly.

It is innocent for people who think AMP will help them to increase their revenue or speed.

It does not improve your SEO or Google will be sued for monopoly.
I don't agree with this at all.

Google wants the fastest most relevant data. By indexing it through AMP, using Schema.org, etc. you give Google more data which they then reward you with by ranking you higher. Its not done maliciously, its just more data helps Google to provide their customers, search users, with the best, fastest, most accurate data. I'm not sure if Google has said one way or another, but I see no reason to assume your SEO is not affected positively (if not greatly) by AMP and other Google services being employed.

I don't agree with this at all.

Google wants the fastest most relevant data. By indexing it through AMP, using Schema.org, etc. you give Google more data which they then reward you with by ranking you higher. Its not done maliciously, its just more data helps Google to provide their customers, search users, with the best, fastest, most accurate data. I'm not sure if Google has said one way or another, but I see no reason to assume your SEO is not affected positively (if not greatly) by AMP and other Google services being employed.

But I have seen many sites have higher ranking than the sites which use AMP. If you have been strictly following SEO practice AMP will not significantly improve your ranking. On the down side, you give out your data to Google, your site content are now likely Google content. Users nowaday are lazier so they don't even care to visit the original site. It is worse than Instant Article of Facebook because most of the time you see Instant Article in the pages you are following, while AMP applies to random sites on the search.

Maybe at some point in the future Google will change AMP name to Google Internet.

Last edited:
But I have seen many sites have higher ranking than the sites which use AMP. If you have been strictly following SEO practice AMP will not significantly improve your ranking. On the down side, you give out your data to Google, your site content are now likely Google content. Users nowaday are lazier so they don't even care to visit the original site. It is worse than Instant Article of Facebook because most of the time you see Instant Article in the pages you are following, while AMP applies to random sites on the search.

Maybe at some point in the future Google will change AMP name to Google Internet.
Not claiming its the end all be all there are definitely many other factors, but saying it does not affect SEO I don't agree with.
If you really need the speed use less addons and a better hosting.
Not true either. They cache pages on Google servers, you will not beat that no matter what you do.

AMP is ok if you want users to land on a page and read the content, however they won't browser the site furthermore. Even the big sites that are on AMP try to find a way to make users go to the "full" site.
For news outlets it might make sense to use AMP, however for forums or most sites it doesn't. If Google really wants to help speed up the Internet, they could have created a free CDN for sites to use. If Cloudflare could offer a free CDN, why didn't the big Google do this?

Also, do you guys remember the "Lite" versions of the forums, they were popular at one time. Why don't we use that if we want to speed up the forum?
Maybe because the Internet is faster these days (4G & 5G) and people like to have the the full experience while visiting the sites.

If the Xenforo staff wants something to work on, it should be PWA (https://xenforo.com/community/threads/ensure-compliance-as-a-progressive-web-app.126049/).

Last edited:
Not claiming its the end all be all there are definitely many other factors, but saying it does not affect SEO I don't agree with.

Yes, I do not make it clear in my first statement.
------------------------

AMP maybe good for cosumers, but is it good for forum owners?

Last edited:
Thing about those "optional" features is they do improve rankings, making them mandatory. Many websites can stand on their own, but in niches with competition if any small feature gives an edge, its not optional.

AMP was a bad idea from start. If its HTML, why is it needed? Pages are already in HTML. AMP is very limiting, so pages have to be stripped down to bare text, which is good for news websites, but not good for many other websites. To speed up websites? Write better pages. No need to invent second pseudo-standard for that.

I hope it dies, like many other bad ideas such as MS Silverlight, Adobe Flash (its not dead yet, but we can hope), WAP and many others that tried to be alternative to HTML.

Whats good for consumers is good for forum owners, isnt it?

I haven't seen a forum with only consumers. If you can make consumers become members / customers then it might be a different story, but are you confident?
With AMP you will get you more consumers, more bounce rate, less active members, more profit for Google, so in the end it's your choice.

Fundamentally I doubt it will die. Google doesn't need your feeble attempts at making a web site. It can do it faster, cheaper, more conveniently, etc. Feed Google your data and go away. Its a scary time, I don't think people outside of the tech space realize how far ahead the top tech giants really are.

Fundamentally I doubt it will die. Google doesn't need your feeble attempts at making a web site. It can do it faster, cheaper, more conveniently, etc. Feed Google your data and go away. Its a scary time, I don't think people outside of the tech space realize how far ahead the top tech giants really are.
That's exactly why I think it will die - Google is far ahead of everything else. They have their own browser that checks actual HTML content of page, which makes it work perfectly with dynamically generated content, detect nasty SEO tricks and check which content has higher priority and which content is noise. It is very advanced. So why do they need AMP?

That's exactly why I think it will die - Google is far ahead of everything else. They have their own browser that checks actual HTML content of page, which makes it work perfectly with dynamically generated content, detect nasty SEO tricks and check which content has higher priority and which content is noise. It is very advanced. So why do they need AMP?
Thinking a bit deeper, they did it to get people used to the idea of cached pages on Google servers. Ads, etc. all prepped for them. Its not that they need it per se, but it helps.

We do not know yet but Google have bad habbit of killing and abandon things. Google are far from us bot not far from their competitors.

Top Bottom