Amazon SES and Xenforo

Did you setup the SNS topics for bounce and complaint?

yes

Did you attribute the topic ARN to the confirmed email address and the verified MAIL FROM domain?

yes

Did you add your gmail bounce email address as the endpoint for the topics and did you use EMAIL as the protocol?

yes, I even tried it with a gmail address and yes for the EMAIL as a protocol. Gmail address is even confimred and I can send testemails out of SNS ACP to it ("publish") successfully.

amazon_ses_no_bounces_sns_emailconfirmed.png

Did you set up subscriptions for bounce and complaint topics?

yes

Is 'Include Original Headers' disabled for the SNS topics?

yes, disabled.

Is XF fetching the notification from gmail via smtp? Keep checking the gmail inbox.

No. I deactivated the setting in XF/ACP/Options/Email settings to have the time to look into the gmail account directly to be able to exclude this as a reason for any mistakes.

Before this I had it activated, but nothig happened

Is DKIM verified and signing enabled?

(I assume you mean "sending enabled"?)

yes and yes.

Is email forwarding enabled?

Yes and No.

A. For the doman I have email forwarding enabled and no SNS settings. Include Original Headers: disabled.

amazon_ses_no_bounces_domainlevel.jpg

B. For the sending email, I have forwarding disabled and SNS for bounces & complaints enabled via my topic selection with gmail address. Include Original Headers: disabled.

amazon_ses_no_bounces_sending_email.jpg

As far as I understood the manual, you can control thanks to this that only bounces/complaints etc. for that specific sender email address will be forwarded to that specific inbox. This inbox shall be used only for admin emails/newsletter of this community.

I do not want to have all bounces of all email addresses of @mydomainname.com forwarded to that Inbox.

But this should not be the problem normally. It was working for months correctly with these settings. With 3 different communities. I do not know why this suddenly stopped.

Another interesting observation

amazon_ses_no_bounces.jpg

According to the stats of Amazon SES, there were 112 emails sent but none delivered. Neither a single reject nor a single bounce. How can this be? At least 20-30 of those 112 have been from me with a fake email address.

Last edited:
Maybe my settings in different areas within Amazon SES were changed without me noticing it?

How do your settings look for SMTP credentials in Amazon SES ? It seems that I can not check my old SMTP credentials. They ar nowwhere visible.

If I click in Amazon SES on "SMT Settings" I get this screen:

amazon_ses_no_bounces_SMTPcredentials2.webp

Question #1: Do I delete by accident my old settings if I click now on "create my SMTP settings"? Where can I see my old SMTP settings?

Question #2: If my old SMTP settings are broken, then why can I send successfully emails from XF to valid email addresses?

My settings in XF/Options/Email Options are:

amazon_ses_no_bounces_SMTPcredentials1.webp

But maybe also other settings in Amazon SES got broken?

I use a dedicated IP Adress with Amazon SES and pay for that montly extra.

If I look at "Configuration Sets", there is no pool selected. It is just Pool name: Choose a pool.

Question #3: Is this normal?

amazon_ses_no_bounces_sending_ip_pool.webp

If I click on "dedicated IPS", I can see my IP address (on the following screenhot covered by the dropdown list) and that the warm up is completed.

If I click on "Actions" I could choose "Mode IPs to this pool".

Question #4: What do you have selected there? (those of you who use a dedicated IP)

amazon_ses_no_bounces_dedicated_IPs.webp

Did you activate the confirmation email that SNS sent to your gmail for each subscription?
Did you setup 2 subscriptions?
Question #1: Do I delete by accident my old settings if I click now on "create my SMTP settings"? Where can I see my old SMTP settings?
You can just recreate these without problems and then use those credentials.
My settings in XF/Options/Email Options are:
These look fine. What about your bounce handler settings in XF?
Question #3: Is this normal?
I don't have any configuration sets created.
Question #4: What do you have selected there? (those of you who use a dedicated IP)
I don't know if it matters but I have the automatic warm up of the IP always enabled. The rest is the same as you.

Did you activate the confirmation email that SNS sent to your gmail for each subscription?

yes

Did you setup 2 subscriptions?

yes, the one for the bounces with a gmail address, the one for the complaints with another email address.

These look fine. What about your bounce handler settings in XF?

Bounce handler is currently deactivated. I try to make the setup as simple as possible to be able to clarify the possible cause of the problem easier.

As soon as a bounce appears in the gmail account, I can then do tests with the XF bounce handler. But as long as the bounces even do not appear in the gmail account, I do not have to worry about the bounce handling of XF. Sad but true... 😭

Which XF version do you have? I have XF 1.5.24. I upgraded last week. As far as I can see it, with XF 1.5.23 everything was working fine.

Same version here.
According to the stats of Amazon SES, there were 112 emails sent but none delivered. Neither a single reject nor a single bounce. How can this be? At least 20-30 of those 112 have been from me with a fake email address.
If 20-30 of those are to a fake email then the subsequent emails will not be sent. They are counted nonetheless. Try to use existing email addresses. Its easy to create a bunch.
Regardless of the about the difference leads me to believe that your topics may not be setup correctly. Hence there are no deliveries/bounces/complaints reported. Your screenshot does not display the two subscriptions. Please check the ARN addresses for each topic. Delete the topics and recreate them if needed.

Regardless of the about the difference leads me to believe that your topics may not be setup correctly. Hence there are no deliveries/bounces/complaints reported. Your screenshot does not display the two subscriptions. Please check the ARN addresses for each topic. Delete the topics and recreate them if needed.

I would agree if this problem would be only regarding one of my communities.

But I have 3 different communities with different domains. Each one of them was setup in March this year with Amazon SES and each one worked without problems until around this weekend/last week.

All my tests have been done only with one of those 3 different communities/domains. I did not touch other 2. Nevertheless they show the same behaviour: I can send emails out, but no bounces do appear in the inbox.

IMHO there must be a reason why a setup, that worked for months without flaws suddenly stops working the same way although I did not change anything.

Please check the ARN addresses for each topic. Delete the topics and recreate them if needed.

already done several times.

amazon_ses_no_bounces_arn.jpg

Why have 0 emails been delivered in the days before the 2 days with deliveries?

Very good question. I do not know. The peaks are the newsletter I send out. But obviously there have to bee something inbetween. At least a few emails. Thisis why I showed the setting in numbers, not in % as a rate.

Maybe there is something wrong on the Amazon SES side?

Question #1: How does your graph looks like?

At the moment it is like this.

1. XF -> Amazon SES works. Valid emails are sent out (but not shown in the graphs of the sending statistics))
2. Amazon SES Graphs seem not to work
3. Amazon generating bounces seems not to work

So either I do not see a wrong setting in Amazon SES or my Amazon SES account has a bug.

Since I followed the official Amazon SES/SNS manual step by step and the Amazon verification emails went through and got accepted, I can hardly believe that I did something wrong with the setup.

Question #2: Is there any hidden spam filter in gmail, so that normal Amazon emails come through but not the bounces? I can see only the normal spam folder and there is nothing in it.

P.S.: I enabled just for test purposes the bouncing handler. XF works with it just fine.

I sent a few emails to my gemail account and the bounce handler took the emails from the gmail POP3 account into XF. I can see them now in XF/ACP/Tools/Email bounce log. Because they are not real bounce emails, XF does not know what to do with it. But the interaction XF<->gmail works at least.

Top Bottom