Amazon/eBay Parser

Amazon/eBay Parser 2.1.4

No permission to download
I just put a discrete message above the fold on all thread pages. Guy from eBay said that was good enough.
(The footer message we had before was not.)

I just put a discrete message above the fold on all thread pages. Guy from eBay said that was good enough.
(The footer message we had before was not.)
That’s really not an acceptable solution for me. It’s clutter which is unnecessary on the vast majority of threads. It’s important to visitors and search engines how much scrolling is needed before getting to useful content on a page. We should be very aware of the amount of content above the fold and maximise efforts to reduce it.
It’s not straightforward to get a figure for the number of thread pages with affiliate links on them, but it would be an interesting % to calculate. I guess it will be less than 2% on AVForums.

That’s really not an acceptable solution for me. It’s clutter which is unnecessary on the vast majority of threads. It’s important to visitors and search engines how much scrolling is needed before getting to useful content on a page. We should be very aware of the amount of content above the fold and maximise efforts to reduce it.
It’s not straightforward to get a figure for the number of thread pages with affiliate links on them, but it would be an interesting % to calculate. I guess it will be less than 2% on AVForums.
I've had my disclaimer in place for months. ZERO comments or complaints from members.
BTW: I don't consider this line of discussion part of the plugin. Not the developers responsibility to ensure your compliance. I would take your further discussion to the thread I linked at the end of page 7.

We do have something planned, just not sure 100% yet on what it should say.
What method do you propose?
I talked to my coder about this.
His thoughts were to use regex on links to ebay and amazon when they are displayed to change them to open a new modal window using XF's standard method showing compliance text and a continue button which will then take them to the target page.

Probably something like use the entity structure option to mark it as having links and a template modification.

What method do you propose?
I talked to my coder about this.
His thoughts were to use regex on links to ebay and amazon when they are displayed to change them to open a new modal window using XF's standard method showing compliance text and a continue button which will then take them to the target page.
Have you asked eBay if a link click confirmation would work? Something like the below addon with the eBay disclaimer shown on the screen that the user needs to give their confirmation on.

It's just a small font single line of text, but I'm also interested in it just showing up where needed. Just had to come up with a fast solution.

"G. Disclosure about Relationship with EPN. Note that the Federal Trade Commission requires disclosure of any material connection or relationship when you endorse or promote a product or service to your readers. Affiliate links are considered such a material connection. Please insert a statement such as the below on your website. “When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.” Additionally, any posts on your social media channels (including, but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram) must include #ad, #advertisement, #sponsored, or something similar at the beginning of the post to clearly and conspicuously disclose the posts are an advertisement. "

From my "complinance" process from May 2023

"We would like to inform you that you need to add the disclosure statement such as “When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.” on all the pages on your websites where you have placed the affiliate links. The disclosure should be added at the top of the page (below the top menu) rather than in the footer, or else in close proximity to each of the affiliate links."

"G. Disclosure about Relationship with EPN. Note that the Federal Trade Commission requires disclosure of any material connection or relationship when you endorse or promote a product or service to your readers. Affiliate links are considered such a material connection. Please insert a statement such as the below on your website. “When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.” Additionally, any posts on your social media channels (including, but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram) must include #ad, #advertisement, #sponsored, or something similar at the beginning of the post to clearly and conspicuously disclose the posts are an advertisement. "

From my "complinance" process from May 2023

"We would like to inform you that you need to add the disclosure statement such as “When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.” on all the pages on your websites where you have placed the affiliate links. The disclosure should be added at the top of the page (below the top menu) rather than in the footer, or else in close proximity to each of the affiliate links."
The internet is becoming such a pain in the ass.

The internet is becoming such a pain in the ass.
It started being a pain in the ass back in the mid 90’s when it required expensive ISDN connections to get anything but a crawl.

Is there a difference between a longer compliance statement in our T&Cs and a short note that the nearby link might generate a commission? I hope so. I don’t want people to have to read War and Peace before they click to continue.

Top Bottom