Am I the Only Person on HostRocket?

Digital Jedi

I just did a search and could not find even a mention of "HostRocket" or "Host Rocket". Am I really the only one on that service? I've been on there for over a decade now, but recently I've gotten a suggestion or two that I jump ship due to some odd restrictions, at least by the standard of the person recommending it.

I purchased the reseller package years ago with the intention of doing just that, reselling, but never did. Yesterday I went ahead and purchased a new XF license to update my really old 1.2 installation, and I've had nothing but trouble from it since yesterday. I update PHP to 8.1, it says GD library is not installed. Except it totally is. I get them to check, and suddenly I've been rolled back to 5.6 and locked out of the PHP Selector. And then told to try and update PHP. 💢

So I get through all that, and I'm told that a bunch of things are disabled in PHP that XF might need. Except none of them have to do with the installation process. And...that doesn't seem to get through to the guy I'm talking to. After a total day of back and forth, and mind you, I'm very polite during all of this, he suggest rolling back to PHP 7.4 and outside of that, there's nothing more they can do. Which I did...I didn't want to. But I did. The installation process finally started and, well...

1679085878700.png

😑

I have always really liked being with HostRocket. I seemingly have unlimited storage, and I love the admin features and control I have over my sites. . But it seems like any time I want to do ANYTHING with the site, I have to open a support ticket. Mind you, I've not been doing a lot of site maintenance for any length of time. Usually when I encounter a problem it's after I've been away from doing any admin work for three months or even longer. So I've always chalked up a lot of my problems to things to just the neglect during the interim. But I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's not me.

I'm not into shared hosting, but ...

Setup a temporary test XF site, on something like TEST.DOMAIN.COM, and see if it can do a clean fresh install of modern Xenforo on php 8.1 on your existing hosting service. If it works, then note the file ownership and permission settings. Also note what your config file looks like.

If you get a similar error, I'd share the result in a ticket with Xenforo. Looks like a database config limitation.

I'm not into shared hosting, but ...

Setup a temporary test XF site, on something like TEST.DOMAIN.COM, and see if it can do a clean fresh install of modern Xenforo on php 8.1 on your existing hosting service. If it works, then note the file ownership and permission settings. Also note what your config file looks like.

If you get a similar error, I'd share the result in a ticket with Xenforo. Looks like a database config limitation.
It appears I just got the one tech rep who didn't seem to understand me that day. Well, those two days. I reposted my question and they seemed to fix the initial problem I was having.

Top Bottom