Am I the only one using a Windows Server?

You guys need to create a self-help group :p ;)

nginx + php-fpm + XCache + memcached + Sphinx on Linux ftw :D

What's so bad about CentOS?

There isn't anything inherently bad with CentOS. It's just not for me -- it boils down to preference, really.

For servers, I usually go with Ubuntu, Gentoo, FreeBSD or OpenBSD. However, I'm also very comfortable with configuring, tuning and updating my servers on a more regular basis. CentOS is a very stable product, and if it weren't for its limited amount of packages and often old versions of software which are unsupported upstream, I would probably use it in certain circumstances (especially within large clusters). It's a balancing act, with upgrades often causing regressions one has to be careful deciding on a course of action. I prefer to take advantage of the latest technology, which often make things work 'better and easier.' So, a distro with a 7 year cycle like CentOS isn't well suited for my needs. But, I do realize the major rationale for using CentOS is because of their release schedules and support (updates) lifecycles. And, there's nothing wrong with that. If I wanted to setup my server once, and not really have to fool with it again, I'd choose CentOS in heartbeat.

Top Bottom