Lack of interest Always start thread titles with an upper-case letter

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

JackieChun

I would like to suggest an additional option under Threads, Discussions and Conversations that will automatically convert the first letter of every thread to upper-case. Note that this is different from "Sentence case," which incorrectly converts proper nouns to lower-case.

Under this rule:

can anyone recommend a few restaurants in Naples and Salerno?

would be converted to

Can anyone recommend a few restaurants in Naples and Salerno?

If you used "Sentence case," Naples and Salerno would become all lower-case, a very unfortunate side effect, to say the least. The setting that I'm suggesting would address this issue.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Why do we need this programmatically added to XenForo?

I don't see that it's necessary at all. People should be able to start sentences with a capital letter by themselves and those that don't bother capitalising the first sentence usually don't bother starting all other sentences with capital letters either (yes, I'm sure we've all had members like this posting on our forums). Some people also forget to put spaces after punctuation. Others use apostrophes incorrectly. Many spell some words incorrectly. Should all of these be automatically corrected?

e-safety can be a word at the start of a sentence where capitalisation is incorrect. I'm sure there are other examples too.

This really is an unnecessary addition to XenForo which won't solve anything, so I'd suggest that this isn't added as it's not worth the developers spending their time on it.

This really is an unnecessary addition to XenForo which won't solve anything, so I'd suggest that this isn't added as it's not worth the developers spending their time on it.

This. It would be better as an add-on.

We don't even force either casing option on our site.

@Martok Punctuation and spacing have nothing to do with capitalization, and "e-safety" is not a word. There are virtually no examples in the English language where capitalizing the first letter of a word in a sentence would be incorrect, with the exception of a few words that are stylized for marketing reasons, like iPad and iPhone.

As far as developers' time, there already is a capitalization setting under Options, and this would add a third formatting scenario, which is extremely common in the publishing world. If you don't care about proper case formatting, then I guess you don't need this option. There are people who do, and this thread is to determine if there are others who want it.

Edit: @AndyB just saw your reply. Will try that add-on, thank you.

and "e-safety" is not a word
Yes it is, just Google it and you'll see it's wide use, particularly in the world of education.

Yes, I do care about proper case formatting, punctuation, grammar and all aspects of writing. However adding an option to capitalise the first letter of a post won't solve anything because, as I said, those who don't capitalise the first letter there also won't do so at the start of other sentences and paragraphs.

Having re-read your suggestion, I think you are actually asking for capitalising the first letter of the title of a thread. If so then fair enough to your suggestion, though it would have been better if your explanation was clearer. ;)

LOL fair enough, renamed the thread title to reflect your correction. eSafety is still a fake word :D
Maybe it's a UK thing? I know that we use it over here a lot and it's in official documentation from the Government as well as other sites relating to the safety of children on the Internet. Anyway mark my words, it will appear in the 'official' dictionaries before too long, especially if words like lolcat, permadeath and YOLO can make it in there!

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/what-s-new

Top Bottom