ALWAYS Save a Site Backup To Your Computer!

Peggy

I didn't, and I have lost my entire site. :(

My site has been down for 72 + hours now. Found out yesterday morning that a DDoS attack on my hosts servers crashed and burned them. Everything was lost.

When they tried to restore backups, they found that they were all corrupted. Yes I took weekly backups. And stored them on my server, rather than my computer. Stupid, I know.

This is a 2 yr old blog of my life with my son who has Aspergers as well as other unique abilities. I chronicled his achievements, disappointments, special moments, as well as my feelings, thoughts, and opinions on many other things - God, religion, politics, the weather, mohawks, etc.

2 years of heart and soul on my blog - lost - although I have found a few things through Google cache, thank God.

Don't be stupid like me.
Save your backups to your computer.
You'll be glad you did.

:(

Sorry to hear that. BTDT.
How about archive.org? Maybe you can recover something from there too?

Backups are only as good if you verify them.

Sorry to hear about this.. the digital life definitely needs to be guarded. Thanks for the reminder!

Jamie

Ouch Peggy! That certainly sucks, hopefully next time it doesn't go like that, best of luck! And thanks for the reminder.

Indeed, my servers makes nightly backups to a secure ftp repository which isn't internet accessable just in case.

Though a ddos on its own causing that level of damage is strange, it wouldnt surprise me if they used the ddos to open up a security hole then go in and manually trash everything, any reason why you might of been targetted?

Indeed, my servers makes nightly backups to a secure ftp repository which isn't internet accessable just in case.

Though a ddos on its own causing that level of damage is strange, it wouldnt surprise me if they used the ddos to open up a security hole then go in and manually trash everything, any reason why you might of been targetted?

Wasn't just me. All clients on these servers lost everything they had on them (unless of course they made their own backups and saved them offline).

Wasn't just me. All clients on these servers lost everything they had on them (unless of course they made their own backups and saved them offline).

Well, I don't know how much you got from google cache, but theres a decent ammount of pages there.

Just do a google search for
Code:
site:http://www.onebuzymama.com/

But im off to bed, good luck!

Yes, it is always a good idea to have a backup DB on your computer for sure, but if you get lazy and it is months old it will not do you a lot of good.

You may be able to build your site back simply by using Google Cache, that works a lot of times, try it.

Yes, it is always a good idea to have a backup DB on your computer for sure, but if you get lazy and it is months old it will not do you a lot of good.

You may be able to build your site back simply by using Google Cache, that works a lot of times, try it.
Thanks I'm working on gathering it all now.

I'm paranoid about data so take multiple backups of my local and server data across multiple hard drives and DVD.

I take a backup of my database daily and the server once a week and I keep rolling copies of the last 10.
I then copy the latest backups to my local install which verifies the integrity of them.

Top Bottom