1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative for Google Reader

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Shyuan, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Shyuan

Shyuan Well-Known Member

Hi,

I heavily use Google Reader (especially web version and on Android devices). Unfortunately, Google is going to take it down from 1 July 2013 onwards. I tried looking for alternative (such as gReader and Feedly), but many of them act as a client of Google Reader. I thought of using Google Currents but it doesn't have web version. Is there any cross-platform RSS reader that you guys known of that doesn't need you to link to your Google Reader?

Thank you :)

2. Sim

Sim Well-Known Member

I'm facing the same search. I was going to fall back on FeedDemon on the desktop, which I've been using for a long long time (although it struggles with a very large feed database) ... but the developer just announced he will be killing off that product at the same time as Google Reader.

I haven't had a chance to try any of the alternatives out there yet - from screenshots I've seen, most seem to focus on "pretty" rather than "fast and usable" like Reader was.

I use Reader every day, on my desktop, my mobile and my tablet. The web version even used to work well on my N900 - about the only thing I ever used it for!

I'm pretty annoyed they plan to just kill the product ... of course usage is down, they've effectively hidden the product for the past few years - nobody who doesn't already know about it is going to start using it if they never see it promoted.

I will post my findings if I locate a reasonable cross-platform alternative.

3. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

4. Shyuan

Shyuan Well-Known Member

I agreed with you. They are heading towards the magazine-like reader instead of simple and basic reader which I preferred more.

Thank you :)
    Good that they are doing something about it. And I think I should wait patiently since there are still 3 months' time to the kill of Google Reader. The other similar developers are going to do something I supposed.

5. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

None of the alternatives are good replacements =\.

I'll probably go back to the self-hosted script I was using: http://feedafever.com

I'll just need to buy a cheap shared hosting account just to host it though as it does get intensive with a ton of feeds.

6. Hoolio

Hoolio Active Member

While I have the attention of you RSS junkies :cool:...

What do you think of importing RSS articles into forums 'as a news section'

a) crazy / bad voodoo / bogus (ripping off the writers)
    b) OK
    c) Other (discuss)

Meanwhile I sincerely appreciate it and hope you find a good alternate RSS reading solutions soon..

Thanks

7. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

I've used them in the past, but most of my users didn't like it. So they're turned off for now. If I find a really good site that has awesome feeds, I may turn it on again. But for now, it's off.

8. Fuhrmann

Fuhrmann Well-Known Member

9. Jason

Jason Well-Known Member

10. Fuhrmann

Fuhrmann Well-Known Member

11. Jason

Jason Well-Known Member

I had forgotten Digg still existed. ........okay, low blow :p

Fuhrmann likes this.
  12. Sim

Sim Well-Known Member

I tried to turn it off on one of my forums but the users complained! I didn't think anyone was reading it, but there turned out to be a few members who avidly read the news sections every day.

It does artificially bump up your post count a bit, so might be worth pruning older posts occasionally, just to keep things under control.

So long as you don't go overboard, I think it can do well. The other thing I did (on my vB forum which I haven't converted to XF yet) was to install a plugin which allowed me to hide those news forums from "New Posts" searches so that RSS feeds didn't clutter the search results. Users then had to opt-in (by way of a user-initiated upgrade to a secondary user group) to then have the news feeds included in the searches.

This isn't really necessary though - most users who were interested just tended to browse the news forums manually and didn't want to see them in search results anyway.

Hoolio likes this.
  13. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

Also using this

Took a lot of tweaks to get it functioning the way I used reader though, and the mobile interface is extremely heavy and awkward on android without even more tweaks.

This might be useful for someone, imports starred items from reader: https://github.com/darkimmortal/fever-google-starred-importer

Forsaken likes this.
  14. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

I'm looking at making an Android app and a widget/Chameleon widget if my friend is up to it, or if I can find someone else who would do it :p.

15. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

That would be amazing, the current app (Meltdown) basically just doesn't work

16. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

I do exactly this, and then publish the news forum onto the homepage via Porta.

17. Saeed

Saeed Well-Known Member

Feedly seems to be pretty decent, for a web based aggregator.

I'm thinking of trying out a desktop aggregator like Feed Reader though. :)

18. Saeed

Saeed Well-Known Member

I didn't like the interface of Feed Reader one bit, I must say.

Giving RSSOwl a go now.

19. Arty

Arty Well-Known Member

20. Hoolio

Hoolio Active Member

Ah thanks for the example, so you publish the RSS feed title, a few lines, and no photos.

Yeah, I think thats what I will settle on - perhaps just titles..

I have mixed feelings about running a front page that sends my visitors away... However, I am thinking with relevant forum topic centric news - the forum could provide a 'one stop shop". Thats the plan anyway - seems to be yours too..?

I would like a function on it - the ability to 'toss into the 'article feeds list' any article URL I feel might be of interest. I will try to get my developer to code this for me. That way - the front page news can be automated + have admin selected articles included too.