[Already implemented / discussed to death] MiniMe (was 'Pointless icon')

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floren

If I start the thread, I don't see it necessary to show my icon again.
It is obvious I participated in that thread... because I start it. :)

Capture.webp

As a side note to myself, the little dot icon is HUGE. I will change it to a 10px avatar, on my forums.

Upvote 0
Come up several times already and it's intentional. Important for scanability.

Floren,

I do understand that it is impossible to follow every thread. That is why I will point you to this:
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...15/page-6#post-27939

Originally it was like that: there was no mini-me on your own Avatar when you are the threadstarter. But because of valid customer feedback (I completely agreed with Ryan on this matter) it has been changed to also include it on your own Avatar. Yes, it doesn't seem logic, but there is more to a good interface then being 'logic'. Ryan's post explains it very clearly.

Also your other remark:

As a side note to myself, the little dot icon is HUGE. I will change it to a 10px avatar, on my forums.

... has also been endlessly discussed. In fact it it thanks to the fact Kier&Mike made it bigger (and improved the shadow/box/etc) then it originally was that the mini-me's actually now served their purpose. When you make it too small, it generates more problems to be effective and useful anymore.

Every problem we had with the first implementation has now been solved and it works really great now.

Thanks for the link. I apologize, I do not follow the forum postings on a daily basis.
As Mike said... I could easily add a condition not to show the dot avatar, so everyone is happy.

Every problem we had with the first implementation has now been solved and it works really great now.
Is a matter of personal taste. We lived for years with a simple dot, so having a smaller image (10px) it will not hurt my eyes in any way. The important thing is that we can customize the software to fit our own liking.

All you have to do is insert a condition in your template, so I'm not worried. We will be able to remove that dot avatar very quickly because Kier&Mike designed their software properly, so it satisfies everyone. :)

Floren, help me out. What do you mean with "dot avatar"? Do you mean the same thing everyone is calling the "mini-me" avatar? The smaller version of your avatar?

Scott

It used to be 16px and didn't look nice that small so was increased to 20px I believe and looks better because when the avatar is too small it becomes a mess... the extra 4px made all the difference...

Floren, help me out. What do you mean with "dot avatar"? Do you mean the same thing everyone is calling the "mini-me" avatar? The smaller version of your avatar?

Scott
It's the dot before the avatar. To indicate you have unread posts in the thread (you are watching).

It's the dot before the avatar. To indicate you have unread posts in the thread (you are watching).
No, he is actually referring to the mini-me, using vB's "dot" icons terminology.

Yeah, but i remember that the dot is getting an overhaul so it might not be there for long. Not to sure though.
I don't think that's guaranteed. I know Kier posted that he didn't like it at the time, but opinions may change after use and it also means there has to be something (definitively, genuinely, etc) better. So don't expect it to change; if it changes, take it from there.

I don't think that's guaranteed. I know Kier posted that he didn't like it at the time, but opinions may change after use and it also means there has to be something (definitively, genuinely, etc) better. So don't expect it to change; if it changes, take it from there.

personally i belive that it needs to be changed, the dot is redundant :)

The icon is there on threads you start because not having it there destroys scanability.

As you've said, you can change this as soon as you get your own copy of the software if you choose to do so, but for now we're considering this issue concluded here.

Ah, ok. Now I understand too. Mini-me is a cool term for that feature too. Humorful and light-hearted, yet to the point.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom