Implemented Allow vote changes on polls, be able to specify number of options & add poll to existing thread

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
When creating a poll, you can allow multiple responses but not how many.
For example, how can I allow only 2 choices out of 10?

Also, vote changing should be permitted but this isn't an option when creating a poll.

Lastly, it's not possible to add a poll to an existing thread when editing the first post. My members would really miss this functionality.

Upvote 72
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Yeah, I do find that polls rarely do get created. I still think a promote poll to sidebar block would entice people to create polls giving them more exposure and more activity within them like on adminextra.
That certainly helps.

There are two issues here:
(1) people rarely make polls here.
(2) the polls die quickly.

One answer to (2) is this

Why can't polls be found ?
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/if-polls-are-important-why-cant-they-be-found.9493/
- I talked about adminextra too.

DRE showed how to create a Poll section
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/how-to-create-a-poll-section.1247/

When creating a poll, you can allow multiple responses but not how many.
For example, how can I allow only 2 choices out of 10?

Also, vote changing should be permitted but this isn't an option when creating a poll.

Lastly, it's not possible to add a poll to an existing thread when editing the first post. My members would really miss this functionality.
+1 from me for all of these options.

The vote changing in a poll and adding a poll to an existing thread are available in other forum software such as phpBB so I was very surprised to find these unavailable in Xenforo.

+1

I feel though polls still need a lot of work with regard to functionality since i hardly see them being used or participated in when they are created. I still think the promote poll to sideblock would boost polls activity and get people using them more.

+1

I feel though polls still need a lot of work with regard to functionality since i hardly see them being used or participated in when they are created. I still think the promote poll to sideblock would boost polls activity and get people using them more.
Yes, I like that idea too!

I wonder why polls are super rare here at Xenforo.com
Almost no one makes Polls.
because there is not the icon survey in threads titles :D
poll_posticon.gif

It would be nice to have an icon that shows a thread as having a poll. This would be a good suggestion in the "Suggestions: Tweaks & Small Features" forum.

I wonder (because i don't think the devs will go for an icon) instead of "latest" prefix when a poll is created and it has been posted in and displays as latest post it simply has the prefix "poll" rather than latest?

I wonder (because i don't think the devs will go for an icon) instead of "latest" prefix when a poll is created and it has been posted in and displays as latest post it simply has the prefix "poll" rather than latest?

I'm not understanding what you wrote. As far as I know when a thread has a poll there is no indication when looking at forumdisplay or new threads.

I don't use prefix function anywhere on my forum.

I'm not understanding what you wrote. As far as I know when a thread has a poll there is no indication when looking at forumdisplay or new threads.

I don't use prefix function anywhere on my forum.

forumdisplay? You mean forum_list right? I thought you meant on forum_list you suggested to have an icon to convey at a glance that there's a poll much like vb did with post icons.

Are you referring to forum_view?

It would be nice to have an icon that shows a thread as having a poll. This would be a good suggestion in the "Suggestions: Tweaks & Small Features" forum.
Suggestion for Poll Indicator:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/poll-indicator.287/

Suggestion for additional poll class (Could be used to add indicator):
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/additional-class-if-thread-contains-a-poll.22160/
That has already been made I believe.
And you didn't find them? Shame on you! lol

Top Bottom