1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented Allow vote changes on polls, be able to specify number of options & add poll to existing thread

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Brogan, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

When creating a poll, you can allow multiple responses but not how many.
    For example, how can I allow only 2 choices out of 10?

Also, vote changing should be permitted but this isn't an option when creating a poll.

Lastly, it's not possible to add a poll to an existing thread when editing the first post. My members would really miss this functionality.
    Renegade, nrep, Daniel Hood and 69 others like this.
  2. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Yep, i think there should be an option to change your vote as that's pretty customary now.

As for the allow x out of y options option i really don't see the real advantage in that.
  3. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

If the system allows users to change their vote, I hope the system adds a post to inform such action.
  4. Brogan

Well let's say you have 10 options and you want everyone to pick 3 out of the 10.
    Currently the software isn't able to do that.

Those kinds of polls are very common on my forum.
    rootsxrocks likes this.
  5. Brogan

Pushing this back to the top so it doesn't get overlooked.

I appreciate however that work may already be planned on polls.
    rootsxrocks likes this.
  6. Brogan

As likes are now being used to gauge support for a suggestion, are we supposed to bump all of our old suggestions to the top?
  7. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

Being able to change your vote is very important. This needs to able to be done on polls that allow multiple choice. The best way for Kier to do this would be to run a query every time the thread is displayed that has a poll. That way removing your vote is an easy thing to do regarding software wise.
    rootsxrocks likes this.
  8. James

James Well-Known Member

I think it's important that user's can change their vote (admincp option IMO). I also like the option for limited checkbox ticks... for example if you want users to choose 3 things they consider important on your forum, allows you to prioritise things.
    rootsxrocks likes this.
  9. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

This came up here, whereby an option was missed by the Original Poll Poster, and later edited in by a Mod.. however none of us that had already voted for the next best thing could change our votes.

It would be a nice feature to allow that as an ACP option.

jacko, iXanon, Chad Keck and 6 others like this.
  10. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

I'd like to add to this a time limit for changing the vote.
    Photon likes this.
  11. ChrisR

ChrisR Active Member

Also have it re-enable its self after the change vote has closed if anther option is added.
    dutchbb, Hornstar and TrixieTang like this.
  12. Brogan

13. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Sorry Brogan, I did search but nothing came up, I guess as it was a multi :)
  14. Brogan

No worries :)

It's been almost a month since that thread was posted on so it's no surprise you weren't aware of it.
    Divvens likes this.
  15. Brogan

I really hope these changes can be made to the poll functionality as I consider them to be fairly standard when it comes to voting on forum polls.
    Divvens and rootsxrocks like this.
  16. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

Being able to change ones vote in a poll is an important feature. I hope that Kier and Mike will add this feature soon. I think the best way to make a poll system would be to have a query that runs each time the thread is loaded. The query would quickly count the votes in a poll. That way it would be very easy to code a unvote feature even if the poll is a multiple choice.
  17. neodan

neodan Member

Many forums rely on these types of polls. If XenForo wants to set the bar on forum software, it should at least match what's currently available on other forum softwares, otherwise they will never be able to raise the bar.
    rootsxrocks likes this.
  18. Netsultants

Netsultants Active Member

I just had a member discuss this. She needed to change her vote as she selected incorrectly. I guess no solution yet?
  19. Darfuria

Darfuria Active Member

I hastily clicked "Create thread" the other day before creating the poll in my thread - resulting in having to delete the thread and start over. It'd be neat if the thread starter could add a poll to a thread, or edit a poll into the original post.
    Todd, erich37 and James like this.
  20. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

totally agree. this would be great!