Allow uploading a new version of an image

I think each image is given a unique id when uploaded so I don't think replacing an existing one can be done. What can be done is to delete the one you want to replace then upload the new one.

This is strange, because when you edit a video, you can change the video url.
I don't think how pics and video's are saved is comparable.

There's definitely no way it can be done already.

This is strange, because when you edit a video, you can change the video url.
Just to explain the rationale of this: this is very different things.

The reason why it is possible to change the URL of a video is because a video embed is not self hosted, hence you can never guarantee it's on-going availability. e.g. a video on YouTube could be taken down, but it may be hosted elsewhere so you might change the URL.

With images, though, they are uploaded to your server, so ordinarily there'd be no particular reason for this to need to be changed. What would be your reason for wanting to implement this for photos?

What would be your reason for wanting to implement this for photos?
I'm a game developer, and I have some of my game's assets in the media gallery. When I update the game, sometimes the assets change, and I'd like to be able to update them without breaking current links and embeds. I have them stored in the media gallery because users can create their own graphics for the game, and they use image templates I set up as a starting point. I want to be able to update those templates easily when I need to.

I previously used MediaWiki, but since the resource manager combined with the media gallery is so powerful and convenient, I've switched. I'd like to have the piece of mind knowing I can edit an image without all embeds and links breaking.

Currently, there is no way to replace an existing image. This is strange, because when you edit a video, you can change the video url.

This option should appear when the user clicks "Edit Media" if they have permission. I am also requesting a new permission for this.

it probably should be similar as it already is with "Editing a Thread-Post".
Give it a "time limit" (to be set by Admin).

With images, though, they are uploaded to your server, so ordinarily there'd be no particular reason for this to need to be changed. What would be your reason for wanting to implement this for photos?

I've used the ability to replace a photo a fair bit over the years....as that ability exists in other gallery software. I tend do it when something is wrong with the original, fixing the problem or getting a better version from the uploader and then putting it in as a replacement rather than a new upload. This leaves all the info in place about views and date of upload and who by and so on so it doesn't come up as new again.

I've also found it very useful when an image somehow gets corrupted or damaged or goes missing. I can replace it from a backup without making anything else change.

Steve

We migrated from IP.Gallery where replacing an image was possible. Our users did use this feature quite a lot and are complaining that it is not available anymore.

The use case is that they are drawing images which they constantly update and they do not want to loose the comments once they update the image with a new version of the image.

I am bumping this request. My site has a gallery in which people's work is sometimes published. They need the ability replace the current image with one that says "out for publication" and then put the original image back after the publication is released. Is there a resource available for this?

I agree, this needs to be an option. Since 2003 when I was a member at the website we now own 2009, a member could go to "photo options" directly at their photo location and click edit, then browse for the updated photo and resubmit it.
I've done it many times and it works great, and I know our current long time members have used it too.

Sometimes they accidentally uploaded the wrong version of a photo, and need to update it and don't want to start a brand new upload and delete the old one if the old one has a lot of nice comments or suggestions.

I have also been a member over on a photo website Pbase.com since 2003 where I post most of my work and it too allows for reupload of the same image without losing comments.

So a much needed option :)

Not be able to replace images is an issue if you have the same image embeded in many threads, or have backlines to those images. I like this suggestion.

I would extent this to all attachments. One, for instance, may want to perform a minor edit to a doc that is attached to a message without loosing its prior download stats.

Top Bottom