Allow Commenting with the Likes System

Amaury

Related to this and this, but again, since it's one suggestion per thread, I am making a separate thread.

Anyway, the title's self-explanatory. You would like or unlike a post and then a pop-up window would pop up, allowing you to leave a comment, such as, "Hey, you know, that was really uncalled for."

Fairly sure this would be rather difficult to implement from a technical stand point. I don't have the database in front of me, but likes aren't stored as individual pieces of information, such as posts or conversations.

So there is no way to associate a comment to a like, and since Likes != reputation; but are similar, such comments seem rather out of place. It also adds complexity to a system that works for its simplicity.

Related to this and this, but again, since it's one suggestion per thread, I am making a separate thread.

Anyway, the title's self-explanatory. You would like or unlike a post and then a pop-up window would pop up, allowing you to leave a comment, such as, "Hey, you know, that was really uncalled for."
This is already done with @Luke Foreman Post Ratings addon.

Check it out: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/post-ratings-taking-likes-to-the-next-level.410/

Wouldn't it be just as easy not to Like a post and to then make a post with a comment in? No need to make the Like system more complex then.

As @DRE said and I put in one of your other threads, the Post Ratings add-on should cover the needs of anyone wanting more than the Likes system.

Thanks for the input so far again, guys. (Read my reply in Limit Number of Likes for more info on these three consecutive likes suggestions.)

So basically a reputation system?

Pretty much, yes.

I'm pretty confident that a lot of people, even former vBulletin customers, liked the reputation system it had.

Also, it looks like there's a reputation system add-on here on XenForo, but I heard it was buggy and borked things.

Thanks for the input so far again, guys. (Read my reply in Limit Number of Likes for more info on these three consecutive likes suggestions.)

Pretty much, yes.

I'm pretty confident that a lot of people, even former vBulletin customers, liked the reputation system it had.

Also, it looks like there's a reputation system add-on here on XenForo, but I heard it was buggy and borked things.
I found the reputation system to be a hassle. Prefer the like system. "If you can't say something nice" and all that.

The ability to leave comments with a "like" is one of if not the most popular feature of my board :) Cuts down on all the "Thanks!" posts. :)

This sounds too much like vB5 to me...they allow commenting on a post and replying to a post within a thread, so at times you'll find conversations running off on all sorts of tangents.

Having said that, I would like a simple "Thank" system similar to "Like". Just a mention and a count, that's it. I still wish some of our members would even use the Like feature, but they are stubborn and hate change.

Apparently Post Ratings used to allow you not to link it to likes, so you could like a post and also use post ratings separately, for things like thanks etc.

But now it always link to like, so you can't do both.I purchased it so i could use like and have the post ratings show why it was liked, but it doesn't work that way. :(

You sure? I haven't purchased his Post Ratings addon, but in the description I couldn't see anything related to leaving comments on Likes/Ratings.
Ask @Luke Foreman because it was in there before. Don't know if he took it out or not (still waking up or I'd look)
I don't recall such a feature.

Wouldn't want or use it even if there was though.... I much prefer people follow up with public comments on the forum. The way @Luke Foreman add-on works now is perfect. :)

As for adding this into XenForo...

--
No thank you.

@Amaury Think many of these types of post should be in the suggestion forum. That's what its there for :)

I do not know why we have thread reply and post quote but still need "comments" with likes. Make things become complex is the way make your board down.

Top Bottom