Allow Commenting with the Likes System

It is stupid but it's a tradition carried over from vbulletin due to reputation comments.

I used to have several pages long of reputation insults and props handed my way on one vbulletin 3 forum.

The difference between what I thought was in Post Ratings is that that stuff was not anonymous.

In vBulletin, reputation comments are anonymous.

It is stupid but it's a tradition carried over from vbulletin due to reputation comments.

Why does what VB used to do have anything to do with XF? I wouldn't have purchased XF if it was identical to the other, hell, I would have just bought VB then.

Why does what VB used to do have anything to do with XF? I wouldn't have purchased XF if it was identical to the other, hell, I would have just bought VB then.
Thread poster basically wants to combine the features of vBulletin reputations with the like system. I don't see anything wrong with that.

That's not even done on vBulletin I don't think...

Wouldn't want or use it even if there was though.... I much prefer people follow up with public comments on the forum.

Well, that's good for you - so xF has already everything that _you_ need.

But it doesn't mean it's perfect for everyone. If you come from a big forum running vBulletin, you risk losing thousands and ten thousands of reputation remarks that members have given each other over the years. I can understand why a site owner would like to avoid this loss, if possible. Hence the inquiries.

I do not know why we have thread reply and post quote but still need "comments" with likes. Make things become complex is the way make your board down.

Someone brought up "comments" and compared to the comments system introduced in vB 5. That's incorrect, it's not what has been asked here. In vB (at least previous versions of it), you could like or rate a post, and leave a comment while you rate it. The person who received the rate can then see your comment in his user profile. It's kinda like telling the person, and only the person, why you liked his post without interrupting the flow of the public thread. There is nothing wrong with this system and it certainly has its advantages, in particular, if it's optional.

I also don't see how it would be difficult to implement as suggested by Jeremy. At the time of "liking" a post, the associated post id is known, hence the relation "liked post-like comment" should be easy to establish in a new database table.

Well, that's good for you - so xF has already everything that _you_ need.

But it doesn't mean it's perfect for everyone. If you come from a big forum running vBulletin, you risk losing thousands and ten thousands of reputation remarks that members have given each other over the years. I can understand why a site owner would like to avoid this loss, if possible. Hence the inquiries.

Someone brought up "comments" and compared to the comments system introduced in vB 5. That's incorrect, it's not what has been asked here. In vB (at least previous versions of it), you could like or rate a post, and leave a comment while you rate it. The person who received the rate can then see your comment in his user profile. It's kinda like telling the person, and only the person, why you liked his post without interrupting the flow of the public thread. There is nothing wrong with this system and it certainly has its advantages, in particular, if it's optional.

I also don't see how it would be difficult to implement as suggested by Jeremy. At the time of "liking" a post, the associated post id is known, hence the relation "liked post-like comment" should be easy to establish in a new database table.
agreed. this system is also a convenient way of relaying a message that would otherwise derail or thread or require a private message to relay.

and if the like/dislike comment is worth replying to you can then start a new discussion or conversation from it.

Top Bottom