Duplicate Alerts tweak

JackieChun

Let's say I'm watching a thread, and I get an email notification that the thread has been updated. If I click on the link in the email, which takes me to the latest unread post, the alert should automatically clear. Clicking on the link implies that I have been properly alerted, and clicking on Alerts all the way at the top is redundant.

Agree?

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Nothing has changed with regards to the current implementation and there is nothing planned for the next release.

@Brogan, is there any way for a user to clear alerts that have not been clicked through or to force alerts on a tag or thread even though a past alert has not been cleared?

Despite being marked as read, I have users who stop receiving alerts for threads that they are subscribed to or tagged to. My assumption is that this happens because the user accessed the thread through some method other than clicking on the alert.

Visiting the thread does not seem to be sufficient. I had assumed that they had to visit the thread through the alert link to resume receiving alerts.

No, they just need to visit the thread.

Viewing the thread and viewing/clicking the alert are not related.

In that case the alerts just work erratically on my forum and I have many members and moderators complaining about not receiving alerts when they should.

Is there a way to reset the alert system?

It's unrelated to alerts. They need to read the thread - if there is already a new (unread) post in the thread, then they won't receive an alert again until they're caught up. They can see the list of such threads on the "watched threads" page. Alternatively, they can just mark all forums as read.

Tagging alerts are separate.

The default limit for user tagging is 5 and in addition, edited posts don't trigger alerts.

Well you mentioned people watching threads, so that's what I was responding to. Regardless, it'd probably be better to post a thread in troubleshooting (this is a suggestion thread and generally unrelated) explaining the situation in more detail.

I increased the limit for user tagging and then tried to send an alert to a group of 34 users using [bd] Tag Me to tag their user group.

Looking at xf_user_alert 31 of the users received tag actions and 3 received insert actions.

What is an insert?

Top Bottom