As designed Alerts bug?

beerForo

Affected version
I checked everything and I am not sure why I got this alert. I am not Watching this forum or Following this member.

I double checked those settings plus looked in Newsfeed, which is empty. I am actually not following or watching anyone/any area. Thanks

Last edited:
That post was originally posted here:

So the alert is actually for the reply going into that thread (which you are watching because you recently replied to it yourself).

Oh okay because it says "started a thread" it seems splitting it triggered a new alert though?

Last edited:
Technically it's the same alert, but the way the alert is displayed is contextual.

The alert is triggered for a post being inserted, but the alert appearance is different depending on whether it's a reply to an existing thread, or whether it is a new thread entirely. Because it was moved, this now appears to be a new thread entirely hence the wording.

We appreciate it's confusing so we're leaving this open and discussing a few options.

Was just about to post this, I was also confused and have spent time trying to figure out what caused it to file a bug report.

I think it's related to what I've mentioned in the past about splitting posts from threads and giving context to readers about where the post may have originated from.

If we knew that OperaManiac's post had originated and been split from another thread, which could be linked, it would help make it much more clear.

I made a post here a few years ago. (Not sure why the image isn't working anymore, I think it's an attachment?)

It looks like Discourse have attempted to address this issue by leaving notifications and links to help explain when posts are split off and by whom. This would be really useful! Although they haven't put a notice at the start of the new thread, linking back to the original, which when combined I think would help clear up these kind of issues entirely.

Top Bottom