1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest Alert notifications - unread alerts being marked as read

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by optrex, Oct 4, 2014.

1. optrex

optrex Active Member

I notice that if I read one notification, the others automatically become read. If I have many, I get lost as to where I am and miss a topic that requires attention.

For instance, in Facebook if I had 17 alerts and read one, the other 16 would be shaded darker until I'd clicked through (on a current visit) although the marker number disappears.

Is it possible to leave unread notifications with a different background please (on a current visit)?
    Mr Lucky and Veer like this.
  2. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

In cases like these, you can always use the Watched Threads page.
  3. optrex

optrex Active Member

How does that help if someones tagged me or quoted/replied to a thread I'm not watching or moved a thread?
  4. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

You can also use the main alerts page: https://xenforo.com/community/account/alerts

I also always take note of the dates and times, and that helps a lot.
  5. optrex

optrex Active Member

Same as the alerts tab though, the unread ones aren't marked, it's just a historical list. Whilst you and I know our forums inside out, my suggestion is to try to make this easier for my users.
  6. Robust

Robust Well-Known Member

This is kinda the opposite to how email works. It's not viewing the subject that marks it as read, it's viewing the actual thread. I'm not really sure what I'd prefer. It's a nice feature, yet can be annoying at the same time.
  7. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

There's a yellow star next to the date of newly received alerts even if they are marked as read.
  8. mjda

mjda Active Member

I'd agree with this behavior, but only if there was a "Mark all Read" option like there is on Facebook as well. It'd bug the heck out of me having unread alerts and knowing the only way to make them go away was to click on them. For instance "so and so liked your post". Well, I don't want to go read my own post again just because someone liked it.
    optrex likes this.